Author Topic: New Map: Garrison BETA 10 (Hopefully the Last)  (Read 18729 times)

UDead

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Garrison
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »
I understood that but you can go from the ice to the other teams base via either the bunker or the secret way that leads them right to the base, so what I’m saying is that your on the blue team, you go to your bunker and go down to the ice and there is a secret tunnel on the other side of the ice, you find that and get inside it takes you directly to the other teams base.
---------------------
Here I made a demo to show you how you can get from the ice directly to the other teams base.

_burnt

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Garrison
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 02:07:49 AM »
Then remove the mist from the low ice or atleast make it more obvious.. I don't understand why useful route must be hidden with walk trough wall.

UDead

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Garrison BETA 7
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2009, 12:03:29 PM »
Here a new beta out, Garrison_b7, hope you like it. Now for you to be able to view the textures you will need to download the zip file Garrison_b7 and it has the bsp map file in it as well.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ah0hcc5/n/Garrison_b7_zip
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:07:02 AM by UDead »

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »
Holy quadruple post! :O

Edit: Ok, i took a look at b7, base area looks better. The mid area is still bland, might want to give it some style too. You also have lots of unnecessary corners and like that. I'd fill them, because they make the map harder to navigate.

1st ss: Might want to make something interesting here.
2nd ss: You can escape the jail? Or an accident?

About the gameplay, when i played b6 at beta server, it was kinda boring. Maybe it was because all most everyone left when the maåp came. I'd suggest you to make the gameplay more interesting somehow. Maybe it will play better when you took that door away. Also, i think that the low route isn't new, not interesting and seems like really slow option to take.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:41:37 AM by JeeJee »

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2009, 12:13:34 PM »
not that i think of it im might take the sewer part out and put ladders or something to the middle , idk. also i cant tell there that space is in the first ss. the map also looks better with the textures, did you not put them in the right spot?

whats new on it is; new boxes in bas that has maps name on them, some artches new textures...flooring mostly, cloed a path out, put in a camping spot...lol, theres proble more but i cant remember.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »
This map looks fine but here is the problems.

1. This map has some high r_speeds in alot of spots.

2. The map lacks game play

3. The paths are unbalanced (some taking a long time to grab and some taking short time)

4. You did not save your textures right, You need to make a folder for garrison and put textures in there

To Solve: trash this map, Keep the idea (if you want) and remake it. Sure you might say "why would i trash it just to remake it" trust me trashing this will be easier then just editing the map. The map needs to be bigger its so small its kinda annoying. There is to much wide open spaces.

also the map in a match/pub with more then 2 people would turn into a trade fest

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
Robbie I’m not trashing it, the textures are fine, its more or less to late to change until I release next beta, it is good to have short and longer paths and the map is not that small, I seen maps smaller than mine and they map it of some good servers and get played a lot so don’t go there, sure the maps still needs more work but that’s why its still in beta forum.

Please Kyuuchi, if you have nothing useful to say to help me or have anything to say that pertains to my map then please don’t post.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2009, 01:14:51 AM »
Some quick feedback:

The file structure for the zip and textures is all whacked out.  Your zip should look something like this:
pball/maps/beta/garrison_b7.bsp
pball/textures/udead/marbletiles.jpg
pball/textures/udead/hr4/marbletiles.jpg
etc.

Even though the textures you included were .png files, they have jpeg artifacts.  Might as well just use jpegs, or you need better quality source images.

You don't need reverse images.  You can just scale by -1 in the texture surface properties to flip a texture.

Some of the textures have the same thing repeated (example: paver300.png).  Might as well make the texture 1/2 or even 1/4 size to save on memory.  There's no sense in repeating the same texture over and over within a single image.

All of t he barrel textures are misaligned.  They almost look aligned, but they're one rung off.  This can look bad with the high res textures.

It seems like the ice path is much faster than the others.  This doesn't balance well.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2009, 05:08:37 AM »
i undrstand about the zip and that i need to make my own folder for textures, but im not getting what you are saying about the rest. i get the fliping part and some what of the png filing and ice path but what do you mean about paver300.png?

how do i get the texture to show up when i put the in a new folder named udead?

1. Textures in udead folder in textures directory. Done
2. Change png to jpg files. Done
3. Ice path too fast, deleted. Done
4. Deleted reverse crate and fliped crate-56 -1 SX. Done
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:16:12 AM by UDead »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
Open paver300.png in an image viewer.  Divide it into 4 equal sized sections.  Notice each section looks exactly the same.  Since the texture is tiled in-game, that's just a waste, as it will repeat anyway.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2009, 05:18:17 AM »
When I split it up into four equal parts not one single square would tile right if it was put side-by-side with it self.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2009, 09:26:14 AM »
Never mind.  Since the bricks were all the same, I thought the pattern was repeating.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »
It's ok, at lest I’m getting feed back, I might be posting a new beta 8 out, and I would like to see what you think. I pretty much re did most of the textures as in replacing them. I think the new textures add more look appeal to it. (The textures are not mine or are taking credit for them; I got them from a website)

UDead

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Garrison BETA 8
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2009, 01:55:25 PM »
Here is my new Beta 8. You will need my textures zip file to view most of my map. The intructions of whrere the textures go are in the zip file.

This map has some slow spots in it, but im sure it will all clear up when I final compile it.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »
You should final compile for each beta.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2009, 03:11:46 PM »
This is a large file to final compile and it would take to long...longer than what I had so I just lit the map and posted.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2009, 01:15:21 AM »
Gameplay is still quite terrible. I realize that this beta was mostly appearance changes, but you really need to do something about the gameplay.
The stairs in the mid look absolutely out of place, not to mention they also have no purpose whatsoever, other than letting people jump into the useless bunkers. The high bunkers in the high center of the map aren't exactly useful either. No one will go there, because they take simply way too long to get to. The bases are quite easy to camp, one only needs to crouch in the corner to be able to watch the entrance. The secret rooms are now not so secret, as the underground passage connects the bases directly. I'm guessing that will now be the most used path.

Overall, the mid is utterly useless, except for a few lost newbies roaming around looking for weapons to pick up. The underground path should be expanded yet slowed down, as connecting the bases makes that path the quickest. The rest of the map looks decent, however, as many of us have said before, the gameplay is simply nonexistent.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:36:42 AM by musickid999 »

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2009, 08:22:39 AM »
Lol musik, I’m slowly changing the map and making it better. So just to be clear, you want me to:

1. Slow down the underground path.
2. Take the stars out that have no point. (Might put ladder to high bunker) Done
3. Take the center middle thing out, keep sewer area closed for each team. Done

If there’s anything I missed tell me and I’ll add to list.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:48:46 PM by UDead »

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2009, 09:29:23 AM »
When I meant expand the underground path, I meant a few things, sorry for not being clear.

First of all, you might as well expand or remake the entrances to the underground path. The fact that the path will be used a lot (because of its speed) will make the entrances and the connecting rooms massive chokepoints.
Add a new way into the underground path. From the quick jump around, I glimpsed only one way into the underground area, through the "secret" rooms in the base. The whole underground area is actually a chokepoint.
What you could do to make those sewers actually useful, and expand the underground area, would be to have sewer entrances connect to the underground area. This could also benefit the ugly, useless middle area with all the glass crap. Instead of the barrels and stuff, make the ground in the mid sloped and higher, kind of like a Shock map hill. Underneath that hill, connect the two sewer sides and have a larger underground area. This area could have paths leading to that current underground area where all the ice used to be. That's just a 30 second idea I thought up. I'm sure you can think of something better with a little time and patience.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2009, 12:50:53 PM »
so you are saying rase up a peace of the grond and make that a entrance to the underground somewhere in the map?

well right now theres probable not going to be a new beta comping out soon, dont have much time to put the time for detale, but ill still take the feed back.