Author Topic: Desires for Build 17?  (Read 29491 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Desires for Build 17?
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:55:54 PM »
Yeah, build 16 isn't quite done yet, but I thought I'd get some feedback on what people want most for the next version.

Some things I was thinking about:
- More ignore options, such as the ability to ignore a list of phrases, anything containing certain words (might be nice to ignore "hack" and "cheat" for example, to have a peaceful playing experience), or anything with color.  There's already a generic ignore command, for those who don't know.
- Options to strip color/formatting codes from names and/or chat text.
- Better cheat detection.
- Global logins / name protection.
- Motion blur or something to make paintballs more visible.
- Better Linux support.
- Surface-dependent footstep sounds.
- Better 3D sound support.
- More GUI stuff, like a right-click menu on the scoreboard so you can easily ignore, kick, etc. players.
- New level format (this one will take a while, but it needs to be done at some point).
- Optimizations (the new player models are a lot more detailed and will probably knock your framerate down a bit).

Anyway, those are just some things off the top of my head.  Let me know what you want most (doesn't have to be on that list).

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Desires for Build 17?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 09:26:59 PM »
Why can't the paintballs be a sprite instead of an acutal 3d model? And how about making it so that it simulates a player model being exactly where you are for the water reflections?

EDIT: The sprite thing was more of a question than a request. Just clearing that up.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 09:34:37 PM »
Motion blur or something to make paintballs more visible.
:) ty

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:10:38 PM »
I would like something that bakes cookies for you.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 01:32:03 AM »
eiii: They can be.  Back in the day we used sprites.  We switched to models because sprites were too blocky (balls were only 4 pixels tall and were huge).

loial: So that's your vote, I take it?

GreenAffairz: Respond again with a normal font size and not in all caps, please. - jitler

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 01:34:40 AM »
Aah. So, it was ugly. That makes sense. Yeah, motion blurring would be nice. If it was toggleable/scaleable.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 06:43:25 AM »
The sound jits, the sound !!!  Sometimes at playing i think opponent is coming left side when he comes right. And also a problem (??) with the sound is: When i spawn in my base i sometimes hear the opponent in his base. (Pbcup.bsp as an example). Well this left-right-confusing thing should really be fixed. thanks  ;)

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 06:46:59 AM »
Well this left-right-confusing thing should really be fixed. thanks ;)
That's what "- Better 3D sound support" does.

Question: What do you mean by "New level format"? Better maps, better textures?

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 07:36:06 AM »
Some information about the "new level format" thing: http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=1055.0

I like all the things that jitspoe pointed out in his first point.

I may add some requests when Build 16 is released so i know whats already fixed and what not.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 12:00:10 PM »
Another question: How will the "Global Login" actually work?
Will there be any restrictions in the different names binded (like -ch1ll-bitmate and -ch1ll-whatever, ect.)?

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 12:02:33 PM »
I just got a great idea, well in my oppinion it is.

If jitspoe is going to add this "right click on scoreboard" thing, you could let the "name" command activated, so you can still change your names (clantags), and if you right click on somebody there's something called "Login name" where you can look up whos playing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 01:55:30 PM »
Basic plan for the logins would be this:
- 1 primary login name.  This would be your plain name with no clan tag.
- 2 secondary names.  You would use these for your clan tagged name.  These would be able to be changed, but there will be a time limit on changes (say 3 weeks or so), so people can't change their name every day, but will be able to change them eventually in the event that they change clans.
- Names will be stored as case-insensitive alphanumeric characters only.  Color codes and other characters will be stripped off so people can't get clever and fake people's names very easily.

That's what I have in my head, anyway.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 02:43:56 PM »
loial: So that's your vote, I take it?
Yes!! Well its more me loving you longtime for making it so that I can see my balls, after they leave my gun.

I have more suggestions that will be detailed.

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 02:45:57 PM »
That sounds pretty good.

Looking forward to that.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 04:36:09 PM »
I vote "More GUI Stuff", i mean we already got the new hud a few builds back... and what you did with that was amazing.

it would be nice to have some graphical 2-d versions of an autococker and a carbine or some way to know what gun you have, for any fov100'ers/hand2'ers.  I mean, looking at a picture is a TON easier than looking at a faded "autococker".. and another thing is the default font, am I the only one who thinks it looks absolutely terrible? I think even a simple verdana or arial would look better and make the game aloooot more visually appealing, along with THAT and the global login thing, dp would be 10x better.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 05:17:02 PM »
So it looks like we have votes for:
- More visible paintballs.
- Sound system improvements.
- New font / improved HUD.

I'm not going to get ALL that stuff I listed in build 17.  Those were just some things I want to add and I'm trying to get some feedback as to what to focus on.  Let me know what you want most.  If you could only have 1 new feature, what would it be?

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 05:21:44 PM »
You forgot the global login =´(

Shreds

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 05:22:47 PM »
Imporant first:

-Improved HUD (seperate chat and other stuff so chat stays longer)
-Better sound, foot steps, the grunting jump noise, as mentioned, the pbcup bug
-New level system++ this will make the game look new and attract many new players.
-Improved player models
-view wep on player models...
-Dont know if this is possible, but when someone drops a gun or anything else, make it more instant. ditch the tossing the gun in the air effect, which appears 2 seconds late anyways.

less important:

-visable paintballs
-easier to ID teammates. even, No ID on enemies, and make teammate ID pop up quick.
-If you EVER improve the GUI, look at TRIBES2. It has one of the most impressive interfaces and is simple to use. Chat, email, Ignore, bio, rankings, etc...
-which also means user logins to play. I'm for this, but I suggest each login has 3 or 4 names they can play under, and searching in the super new GUI for that name will show all that players names.
-locked FOV (I know people would hate this.. but I find FOV changes sorta cheaty)
-make the guns stop shooting above the x-hair. it should never go above the x-hair...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 05:40:19 PM »
You forgot the global login =´(
Nobody really requested it though -- just asked questions.

Shreds: Expand on "Improved HUD."  What specifically do you want changed?

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 06:04:18 PM »
Nobody really requested it though -- just asked questions.

I request it now.