Author Topic: Mapping Committee Idea  (Read 14679 times)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
Mapping Committee Idea
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »
We should have a mapping committee, formed by actual decent level, active mappers that want to contribute to the rest of the DP community. The commitee would provide input and opinions on new maps created by other mappers, and also occasionally release joint maps to attempt to replace those *coughannoyingcough* maps always played in pubs. XD. The committee could also jointly come up with new themes and ideas for maps, and also help Jits with the mapping aspect of the forums. This is just an idea. I would of course, like to see this idea happen, but if you disagree, try not to flame me too much.

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
Re: Mapping Committee Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »
So you got Rick, Cusoman, RiMiNi, Spook, Warwulf, DutyTaco, BoB, Epic, Lords8n, Jitspoe, Sawy and more.  :)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:03:04 PM »
I wasn't even thinking about members yet, I was just wondering about the idea.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
So you got Rick, Cusoman, RiMiNi, Spook, Warwulf, DutyTaco, BoB, Epic, Lords8n, Jitspoe, Sawy and more.  :)
Dagless?

isnt that what the mapping section of the forum is all about?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
True, but I guess it would probably work the same way as the forum committee. Except for mapping purposes only.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:57:53 PM »
True, I just thought it would be cool to bring closer together all the more known mappers for a good reason, an attempt to help the community. They could also help the newer mappers out too.

EDIT: lol, a post before me disappeared.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:14:21 PM by musickid999 »

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:02:36 PM »
Like I've said before about a map committee, it wouldn't really do anything.

The committee can't ban or force maps to servers, the servers would have to same maps.

All they could really do is tell map makers what to fix in their maps, and everyone already does that in the mapping section of the forums.

A mapping committee can't ban a map, they can't decide how long it will stay in pubs, they can't force people to change their maps, because it'll get distributed anyways. :/

Plus the mapping forum is for helping out each other...

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:36 PM »
Like I said, it was just an idea, thought it might help attract more people to map by having a specific committee help you start out.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 10:30:43 PM »
would you pee more just because theres a guy next to you holding it for you?

fyi, im changin my vote because jusu is against it. +1 mapping committee.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 05:27:21 PM »
BONER!

Agreed.

I will have to agree with jusu, the mapping section does what the mapping committee is supposed to do. If a mapper needs help he should PM another mapper on IRC, or post his question on the mapping section like most people do currently.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »
We should have a mapping committee, formed by actual decent level, active mappers that want to contribute to the rest of the DP community. The commitee would provide input and opinions on new maps created by other mappers, and also occasionally release joint maps to attempt to replace those *coughannoyingcough* maps always played in pubs. XD. The committee could also jointly come up with new themes and ideas for maps, and also help Jits with the mapping aspect of the forums. This is just an idea. I would of course, like to see this idea happen, but if you disagree, try not to flame me too much.

The idea of a mapping committee is a good one, however I do not see anything of that sort working in this community.  Not in the shape it is currently in.  I'd love to see something like this eventually, but only if it's done right and not half-assed.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »
Can't regulate...no point.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 01:45:59 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:45:46 AM by P!nk »

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »
I never did see those threads. Sorry for not searching properly.
But yeah, the committee could work like that. Have a specific group of people (no morons that would go around flaming everyone) play test maps and give opinions. The committee could also give feedback on how to improve the map. It's just to further improve the mapping aspect of DP.
Another thing is that Jitspoe usually has to personally review the map with detail to find out if it's capable of being on the Beta server or not. This could be the committee's objective. That would clear up a lot of time for Jits to work on more important stuff.

EDIT: This would also make mapping a bit more fun by the way. Just imagine. The committee could vote for a "New Map of the Month" and host mapping competitions. This committee shouldn't be created in the image that it's going to replace the mapping section of the forums.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »

can i ask why epic is on this list? has he ever even made a map. certainly not one thats played in any respect.

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:54 PM »
All the maps i seen him make are good he don't want to waste the time and post it..

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 04:08:11 AM »
Well why are we even arguing about this if the community isn't willing to try this idea out? From the threads I've seen on the same topic, the idea seems a good one, but no one is taking any action.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 05:12:15 AM »
Musik, are you asking for a mapping committee because not a lot of people reply with helpful and things for people to fix each day or something, or was it just out of the blue idea?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 06:46:57 AM »
There are a few reasons I have pointed out this idea.

1. It is quite hard for a new mapper to start out, all owing to some of the people in our current community. Instead of giving useful criticism, they merely flame the mapper for his "failure" and end up discouraging them from continuing to map.

How would a mapping committee fix this?
The committee would compose of unbiased, experienced mappers that actually provide useful feedback. A specific sub section on the mapping forum could also be provided for use of committee comments ONLY, preventing all the useless spam we get from other childish members of the community.

2. Most maps aren't tested properly. They are merely scanned for mistakes, not really testing gameplay. This is a big problem for new mappers. They have no idea what the gameplay would be like, and because of the lack of actual play-testing, will never know.

The committee would hold periodic sessions where new maps are tested for gameplay. Tested in the sense that there are over 2 people on either team. I realize that most people probably do not have time for this, but it would be an absolutely massive help to the mapper.

3. The current mappers only continue mapping because they have already established a decent reputation within the community, so their experience with mapping is more enjoyable. Other people find mapping boring and way too complicated.

Who said the committee will only help people with their mapping? It could act as a group that promotes the mapping aspect of the game. The people in this community are always complaining about how the game is dying. Well, think about it this way. Look at PBCup. It's a group of dedicated PB players that want to do something about the clan scene, and have actually taken action. Why not have another group that do the exact same thing, except for the mapping aspect of DP?

4. In case you haven't noticed, there are only a few select few well known mappers that are still playing the game. With the number of mappers decreasing, the mapping scene will soon disappear. (not trying to sound dramatic, but it's kind of true)

Mapping competitions held by the committee. This attracts current DP players with creativity and the willingness to try mapping to actually go ahead and take action. A junior committee could also be created to represent the much newer mappers. We have many mappers right now that don't get the recognition they deserve, and end up being discouraged because their first map wasn't up to par with most people's expectations.

Anyway, those are just my opinions on helping the mapping aspect of DP. Agree or not, post your HELPFUL and USEFUL ideas and opinons.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:40:24 AM by musickid999 »

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 01:53:17 PM »
Nice post, +1 for musik on his time typing this and how it could be persuasive enough to get notices and actions taken. Idk