Author Topic: Mapping Committee Idea  (Read 14661 times)

vague312

• VM-68
Re: Mapping Committee Idea
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
Organizing a annual mapping contest could at least be something different for the current mappers in DP. At the very least i could provide a few themed maps geared for tournaments, Pub Play, Practice, etc. Its not a grand idea but it would be a nice.
It would be a nice incentive to join if any of the server admins could donate a small 16 player server for a month as the grand prize.

(reminds me, i should get off my duff and finish up bonebreak)

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 05:18:58 PM »
thats a good start

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
Organizing a annual mapping contest could at least be something different for the current mappers in DP. At the very least i could provide a few themed maps geared for tournaments, Pub Play, Practice, etc. Its not a grand idea but it would be a nice.
It would be a nice incentive to join if any of the server admins could donate a small 16 player server for a month as the grand prize.

(reminds me, i should get off my duff and finish up bonebreak)

That would be awesome!!!! <3<3<3

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »
holy crap vague... thats a genius idea. +1

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »
EDIT: This would also make mapping a bit more fun by the way. Just imagine. The committee could vote for a "New Map of the Month" and host mapping competitions. This committee shouldn't be created in the image that it's going to replace the mapping section of the forums.

Thanks a lot. (if you were talking about the mapping competition idea) But anyways, I say we take action and start right away.

EDIT: We should start with
A specific sub section on the mapping forum could also be provided for use of committee comments ONLY, preventing all the useless spam we get from other childish members of the community.
That'd be quite easy to do, but we'll need to somehow choose a few people to be in the committtee for now until we get enough people supporting this idea to get a good vote going.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »
Or we could also have a few experienced mappers go into a contest with a theme of a certain map, like using custom textures, the type of terrain, etc. etc.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
That would be a good start as well. But I'm still trying to get the big guys in this community on board the "committee" ship.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
:-D thanks. Are you a mapmaker as well?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 09:24:53 PM »
LMAO. Yea. Not a really good one, mind, but I'm learning.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 11:07:14 PM »
A mapping committee is not really necessary to start an annual mapping competition or the such.... All it needs is a few people willing to set rules and regulations, and get it started (just like the heads of PBCup did). If there's a big competition made with a good number of mappers involved, it would be easy to create a sub-forum for the contest(s) (just like the PBCup sub-forum). But I don't get a special sub-forum just for a "map committee", that only they can talk in. PBCup didn't require this. If you need a special place to chat for people to create a map competition, IRC channels can be made, PM's can be done, etc.

I'm not condoning any of ya'll's ideas, I just don't think a map committee is necessary for any of them to get started. You can start tomorrow easily. Just a few of you need to get together and think of a competition, and the rules for it... Once its ready all you have to do is post the competition, and the rest usually takes care of itself.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 07:05:02 AM »
Justinph5 you probable said this in your post that I might have not understudy or not, is there anyway that Jitspoe could set up an extra site on the forums for a mapping committee composted of musik (who would have admin rights to just that page, not to ban or kick but to regulate that page and move or delete post that might be misplaced or unnecessary, and if misplaced one of the moderators or other admins could come in and movie it), and myself or who ever that musk decides he wants to help? And maybe within those pages you could have a simple CSS or java chat box for quick IM back and fourth stuff like that?

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 07:23:18 AM »
Justinph5 you probable said this in your post that I might have not understudy or not, is there anyway that Jitspoe could set up an extra site on the forums for a mapping committee composted of musik (who would have admin rights to just that page, not to ban or kick but to regulate that page and move or delete post that might be misplaced or unnecessary, and if misplaced one of the moderators or other admins could come in and movie it), and myself or who ever that musk decides he wants to help? And maybe within those pages you could have a simple CSS or java chat box for quick IM back and fourth stuff like that?
That's a good idea UDead, but maybe, like Justinph5 said, we could use an IRC Channel with a password and give a select few the password, and then have a few Committee Members get together and decide the theme of the map.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 07:35:47 AM »
No UDead, I'm trying to avoid pointless things that would involve Jitspoe, since he has little time as is. I suggested the things pheeks said, but setting up an extra site and giving permissions would take time on this website. If people want a special mapping forum that a select few can control, then I highly suggest making an Invisionfree.com forum or something similar. Its exactly the same thing as if people have permissions here, which I still don't think is necessary.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 07:48:34 AM »
That's also a great idea. And you are right, we shouldn't do anything involving Jitspoe. He must be one of the busiest people on Earth right now, running dp2.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 08:19:13 AM »
 I do agree with Justinph5, a set "committee" doesnt really need to be formed to organize things like mapping contests/lesser jobs. All it needs to be is a group of players willing to organize & donate a few hours a week. if a "label" is really needed simply come up with a name for the group and recruit a few reliable members BANG "So-n-So Mapping" is born.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »
stupid idea

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 09:19:08 AM »
You guys have no risks in life do you; you’re not willing to give it a try so instead you are trying to redirect this idea. either you have never mapped in your life, or you have and been turn away from flaming from immature people who don’t care about you just about gaining more posts and putting people down. Idc, I'll wait to here from musik.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 09:54:03 AM »
I also agree with Justin5, there is no need to have a committee to rate maps and say wich are it's flaws, that is already being done by other mappers.

Althought it would be nice to have those contests to rate the maps, being judged by other mappers or players. But to create a mapping committee and to make a sub-forum for that committee is unnecessesary.

If you need a special place to chat for people to create a map competition, IRC channels can be made, PM's can be done, etc.
There is already an IRC channel dedicated to mappers (#pbmappers I believe) wich is used by only few mappers, and that would do the job of the sub-forum.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »
The forum for mapping right now is becoming slower and more post are by people saying nothing much and flaming people instead of helping them. A lot of people reply with really immature post just to put a person down just because they either hate the map or the mapper.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 07:03:47 AM »
You guys have no risks in life do you; you’re not willing to give it a try so instead you are trying to redirect this idea. either you have never mapped in your life, or you have and been turn away from flaming from immature people who don’t care about you just about gaining more posts and putting people down. Idc, I'll wait to here from musik.
Dam right UDead. I'm not even a mapmaker and I think it's a great idea my musik.