Author Topic: Mapping Committee Idea  (Read 14681 times)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
Re: Mapping Committee Idea
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »
noones going to look to a couple of guys who cant release a decent map to be the judge of many.

Actually, in my own opinion, I'm not a shabby mapper. I can release a decent map if I wanted to. Have you even seen any of my maps? UDead is also a great mapper, take a look at Garrison. Much better than some excrement boxes I've seen so far.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »
Mewa, for one I don’t remember you coming out with any maps lately or hear anything good about you mapping, so there you have no right to say we have no experience mapping. We do and have release more decent maps and are completed in the finished maps forum than you. Two, if we want to create this committee our selves, we can and if you don’t like it then don’t comment here anymore. Like I said in one of my posts, experience mapper’s are not going to just jump on board to something they don’t know, you first have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top and as we progress and get better at this more mapper’s will come and more experience mapper’s will come too. So in the nicest way I can say this, please do not post here anymore if you do not like use or the idea and are not willing to try.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2009, 07:19:19 PM »
bwahhahahhahah. noob rolled. im saddened now.

please kids, i have been posting on this thread from the start as a nonmapper giving helpful critique to your cause. look at how you all gang up in defense when the critique starts to burst your bubble. i can say the same excrement a lot harsher if youd like, hope you dont go crying home.

the reason i asked what thread this was is because musickid wrote what was probably his most intelligent post yet laying out the reason he felt a need for the committee. it was well thought out and phrased, so i responded with praise and encouragement. then today the post is replaced with one that has nothing to do with the committee. hence, it looks like im supporting something which i didnt. where did your nice post go musickid, and why did you remove it?

the bigger issue is community support. i wish i was wrong, but youll receive none for either your committee or contest without having some name of experienced, respected players. once you have a couple, others will follow. this is how clans are formed. look to the sympathetic eyes and ask for their aid without being an annoying brat.

also, if i may, your organizational skills are crap. your posts reflect that you are all developing the basic ideas for this on the fly, hard to inspire any confidence in it. get your excrement together, then say "we're having a mapping contest". not the other way around.

lastly, i explicitedly said that i am not a mapper (nor do i want to be one), which is why i am not critiquing maps. my comments have always been focused on your ability to make your goals happen. as for your own maps, i never commmented on the quality of them, just whether or not any of you had a map which is played or well respected. if i am wrong, correct me with an example.

do you want to dance?
dont harsh me brah.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
Well we dont have rim on our side.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »
Let’s go, you will leave with blood all over you. I'll dance with you and you will lose, so back the hell down noob. Think you all that...well hate to burst your bobble your not.

Now that I got my anger out now let’s get back to business.  ;D

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »
the reason i asked what thread this was is because musickid wrote what was probably his most intelligent post yet laying out the reason he felt a need for the committee. it was well thought out and phrased, so i responded with praise and encouragement. then today the post is replaced with one that has nothing to do with the committee. hence, it looks like im supporting something which i didnt. where did your nice post go musickid, and why did you remove it?

I don't understand what you're talking about. Your poor explanation skills are confusing me.

There are a few reasons I have pointed out this idea.

1. It is quite hard for a new mapper to start out, all owing to some of the people in our current community. Instead of giving useful criticism, they merely flame the mapper for his "failure" and end up discouraging them from continuing to map.

How would a mapping committee fix this?
The committee would compose of unbiased, experienced mappers that actually provide useful feedback. A specific sub section on the mapping forum could also be provided for use of committee comments ONLY, preventing all the useless spam we get from other childish members of the community.

2. Most maps aren't tested properly. They are merely scanned for mistakes, not really testing gameplay. This is a big problem for new mappers. They have no idea what the gameplay would be like, and because of the lack of actual play-testing, will never know.

The committee would hold periodic sessions where new maps are tested for gameplay. Tested in the sense that there are over 2 people on either team. I realize that most people probably do not have time for this, but it would be an absolutely massive help to the mapper.

3. The current mappers only continue mapping because they have already established a decent reputation within the community, so their experience with mapping is more enjoyable. Other people find mapping boring and way too complicated.

Who said the committee will only help people with their mapping? It could act as a group that promotes the mapping aspect of the game. The people in this community are always complaining about how the game is dying. Well, think about it this way. Look at PBCup. It's a group of dedicated PB players that want to do something about the clan scene, and have actually taken action. Why not have another group that do the exact same thing, except for the mapping aspect of DP?

4. In case you haven't noticed, there are only a few select few well known mappers that are still playing the game. With the number of mappers decreasing, the mapping scene will soon disappear. (not trying to sound dramatic, but it's kind of true)

Mapping competitions held by the committee. This attracts current DP players with creativity and the willingness to try mapping to actually go ahead and take action. A junior committee could also be created to represent the much newer mappers. We have many mappers right now that don't get the recognition they deserve, and end up being discouraged because their first map wasn't up to par with most people's expectations.

Anyway, those are just my opinions on helping the mapping aspect of DP. Agree or not, post your HELPFUL and USEFUL ideas and opinons.

Anyways, calling us indecent, unorganized mappers isn't helping much. For one thing, it's untrue. You see, unlike you, we are actually doing something to help this community. Trodding on our toes before we even step out of the door isn't going to do anything.

Forcing this thread BACK ON TOPIC, we have gathered a good number of people and support, and as soon as we finish discussing some last minute details regarding the competition, a new thread will be made.

EDIT: I saw the thread that might have made you call us "unorganized". For your information, Robbie's new thread titled "Map Contest #1 (Trial)" was not confirmed by all of us. We are discussing whether or not to simply expand on that contest or to start fresh, with an actual offiicial start.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:42:45 PM by musickid999 »

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2009, 01:40:56 AM »
first off, my sincere apologies to musickid. i had though i had done a quick reply directly after udead, not realizing a new page had been made originally. i went looking for it in the wrong spot, and although i searched further, it apparently wasnt enough. again, sorry for passing my personal confusion. (udead scarred me into writing this)

Anyways, calling us indecent, unorganized mappers isn't helping much. For one thing, it's untrue.
even after i corrected your original misuse and blatant addition of words to my mouth, you continue to do it. please show me where i called youre mapping "indecent" or "unorganized". use the quote link or simply spend the time to confirm that i say what you think i said. if you cant do that, dont bother responding.

You see, unlike you, we are actually doing something to help this community. Trodding on our toes before we even step out of the door isn't going to do anything.
look around you once in awhile. many of us try to help this community daily, just because youre either blind or ignorant doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
please kids, i have been posting on this thread from the start as a nonmapper giving helpful critique to your cause.

finally udead...... you sound pretty tough and make me quiver, but im willing to call your bluff. step away from the monitor and come find me punk.

see how silly that sounds on the other end. YOURE ON THE INTERNET

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2009, 04:23:50 AM »
I've had enough of this arguing, so after this post, no more.

if you guys are serious about a mapping contest, youre going to need the support of more experienced mappers and players. noones going to look to a couple of guys who cant release a decent map to be the judge of many. slow down, organize more, and for gods sake dont make a logo.

We can't release a decent map, which basically calls our mapping "indecent". You also mention "organize more". How do you know I haven't been planning anything behind the scenes? In fact, I have, and the new thread I've started proves that.

Now, I haven't seen YOU yourself, Mewa, contribute anything to this community PERSONALLY other than some occasionally useful comments. You don't map, don't code, and I'm guessing, you also don't match either, giving nothing to the mapping, matching OR development of DP. Forgive me if I'm wrong about your matching.

Anyways, apology accepted about the "long thread disappearing" incident. I'm done with this arguing.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2009, 08:32:14 AM »
indecent does not equal opposite of decent, in this context. behind the scenes, just an assumption. if you have, it hasnt shown much.

ive made my hearty attempts to support this community with direct contributions, sometimes the best i can do is advice from a distance (search "sounds"). please, ride your high horse into the ground.

shouldve locked the thread....

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2009, 08:42:30 AM »
This thread will remain open to provide the community with the chance to give the committee helpful ideas and opinions.

By the way:
behind the scenes, just an assumption. if you have, it hasnt shown much.

My poor grammatical and analyzation skills prevent me from understanding this excellently constructed statement.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 09:05:46 AM »
Mewa, sorry if I said what I said was offending or disrespectful. I just got so fueled up with so many people not even have any faith with us trying this idea that I let my anger get to me. now with that cleared up can we please get back to the real topic at hand.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:06:43 PM by UDead »

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 09:06:47 AM »
Having 2 mappers and 2 non mappers judge will be a problem. How will the non-mappers judge Technicality?
We will be spending the rest of the time during the competition revising a good, solid plan.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=17953.0
This is the actual sign-up and rule thread.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »
"behind the scenes, just an assumption. if you have, it hasnt shown much."

its more like short hand, referring to your comments. "behind the scenes" = "How do you know I haven't been planning anything behind the scenes?"

Kyuuchi wanted to join but we both had some argument and now I’m not sure if he’s joining or not. I first told him to pm you and then it started, I also told him I have no control over who is accepted or not and he thinks I do.

np udead. you might want to reserve these comments for private conversations. irc, chat, pm. just a suggestion.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »
I almost have the logo done just got to tweak a few things before it’s complete. When I, musik and pheek’s agree that it is good I will post a pic of it, but not right now.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
I almost have the logo done just got to tweak a few things before it’s complete. When I, musik and pheek’s agree that it is good I will post a pic of it, but not right now.
   And Robbie   :)

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2009, 01:11:02 PM »
UDead can you send me every edit of the logo you make? I want to crit. it

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2009, 06:01:04 PM »
cant, i need permission from jitspose to use one of his photos

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2009, 07:21:51 AM »
K

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »
Here is the logo I have been working on for extreme Mapping competitions. The logo is not full size due to that I would run off the page.