Author Topic: New map: Shadow Land  (Read 4638 times)

_burnt

• Autococker
New map: Shadow Land
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
Some new map from! It's pretty small terrain based nighttime map. Bases are located is somekind of bunker styled building.

http://maps.digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/map/sland/

Players spawn with spyder, brass barrel, small gas and full 100 hopper. Gas isn't loaded so you can rush with not extra gas loaded or load it safely and lose some time. 2 automags and 1 autococker placed in the map, also 2 large hoppers and 4 steel barrels.

I need to add still some stuf, but i got bored and wanted to release first beta too early :P

So give your opinion about it!!

Got to ask, is it bad if i have 3 "leaf portal saw into leaf" errors in my map? It may fix when i place hint brushes though.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
Re: New map: Shadow Land
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »
looks like, a smaller version of cradle of dp, Sawy is beast people taking his design now (the base) :P

anyway, looks nice

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
1- Could you send me the inbase floor texture

So about the map, i find it looks nice but i don't no how well it would play due to the fact its just a few skinney paths that meet up at mid. The path that comes out in the little hole beside flag should be accessible from main. But the map looks nice, i like the terrain.
Btw i like the front door :)

But the map looks good, just i think too many small skinny paths are not very good for solid gameplay.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »
So about the map, i find it looks nice but i don't no how well it would play due to the fact its just a few skinney paths that meet up at mid. The path that comes out in the little hole beside flag should be accessible from main.

I didn't want it to be large, size is pretty much what i was looking for. You'll get to the side path from main in next beta, that's one of the few things that i still need to add :P

Btw i like the front door :)

Cool, hehe

hr4 texture below, i assume you use them :)

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »
you spawn in the other teams base and there is no air

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
you spawn in the other teams base and there is no air

Great... :( I intercoursed up them afterall. And you should have unloaded gas, but that might be one spawn messed up :/

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 02:21:35 PM »
Here is some things i found, the

1st shot is in the yellow teams base, but its a red misaligned flag

2nd i dont like the model there maybe remove it, it goes through the wall

3rd The door isnt set to 1 trigger

4th i dont like the wood texture

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 02:14:06 AM »
Resize your images. I'm going to fix door and flag, rest are good imo. Door isn't triggered, it's just normal func_doors. I'm not sure if it's possible to make it one func_door and make the pieces go to different direction. Now they're multiple func_doors.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 02:32:49 AM »
Looks pretty cool. How the f*ck you did this terrain?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 02:36:40 AM »
Vertex manipulation.

In the newest release, one rather important feature was left disabled in the included Bsp.cfg. The setting "vertex_select_mode" should be set to option "2" instead the default of "0" so vertex dragging can be enabled.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 04:36:06 AM »
Where can I find this option? Also, is it in old bsp editor version?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 04:43:17 AM »
No it's the new one. Go to bsp > settings, open bsp.cfg file with notepad, scroll down until you see "vertex_select_mode 0". Change it to "vertex_select_mode 2"

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 07:52:49 AM »
Looks like a really nice map, but it does look like it could get congested in the middle if there are too many people. Maybe make the map a little bigger.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:01:09 AM »
Looks like a really nice map, but it does look like it could get congested in the middle if there are too many people. Maybe make the map a little bigger.

I didn't design this to any 9vs9 pub play, small games like 3vs3. At the beginning i was going to design low route, but as you can see i didn't really do anything like that. But now i could add new route going low, maybe making it dsm route. Maybe make it open when there's over 6 people?

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:05:13 AM »
I didn't design this to any 9vs9 pub play, small games like 3vs3. At the beginning i was going to design low route, but as you can see i didn't really do anything like that. But now i could add new route going low, maybe making it dsm route. Maybe make it open when there's over 6 people?

I think given the current situation 5 people a team would start to cause congestion... 9 would be chaos. I agree with you that 3 would be good.
Maybe you could make another map like this one, with a few different routes and the whole map generally bigger. Call it something like 'Greater Shadow' and make it 7 a team.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »
I agree with Fuzz Ball. That would be a great idea. It IS a small enough map for a 3v3.

nook

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 07:25:54 PM »
That map is Huge... this map is like for a 4v4

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
Attached a demo with revision suggestions and uploaded to the beta server.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 08:40:04 PM »
Update:  I think this was already pointed out, but in sland4.jpg, you have two misaligned textures (flag and flame).

Played this on the beta server.  It was difficult to test because the spawns were all messed up.  Half the time you'd spawn in the enemy base with no CO2.  I've taken it out of rotation until this is fixed.

A few things I noticed while playing:
- Yellow is very difficult to see (see attached sshot).
- I saw some people having difficulty crouching through the hole in the wall in the base.  Might want to open that up a bit.
- If you hit the main door just right, you get kind of stuck in a situation where you don't quite step up, but you ramp up from the hill to the door, so you're in the air and you can't jump.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 11:20:26 PM »
- If you hit the main door just right, you get kind of stuck in a situation where you don't quite step up, but you ramp up from the hill to the door, so you're in the air and you can't jump.

Thx, i'll watch the demo, but i don't get what you mean by that :P

Edit: I watched the, i'll make the changes necessary. Also got to start thinking about somekind of DSM route to low.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:27:54 AM by JeeJee »