Author Topic: "I nEeD hElP mAkInG a SeRvEr!!! QuIcKs!!! PlZ!!!"  (Read 4340 times)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
"I nEeD hElP mAkInG a SeRvEr!!! QuIcKs!!! PlZ!!!"
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:44:53 AM »
Ah, before you start flaming me, I TRICKED YOU! This is actually an attempt at a more detailed server making guide. It is based on my previous experience with making a server. I am NOT 100% certain that it will work. I am hoping that other experienced server hosters will confirm the guide or correct any mistakes that I have.

Before I start, I would like to say this important statement.
DO NOT create any more servers. There are already over 30 servers, with

only 10% of them regularly occupied by players. We do not need more empty, laggy servers that congest the server browser. This guide is only to help you understand the process of server creation. Once again, I do NOT encourage you to make another server.

A Quick Introduction

Making a server can be surprisingly easy, or pretty much impossible. It all depends on a few things.

1. Your ability to solve problems.
There is a 90% chance that you WILL run into problems, whether it's related to port forwarding, configuration editing, or problems with the server itself. More on those later.

2. Your ability to ask for help.
A lot of people simply give up when they get stuck midway through creating a server. Don't give up. Ask for help on the forums, stating your problem CLEARLY. No one will answer you if you start a thread with the topic "I nEeD hElP mAkInG a SeRvEr!!! QuIcKs!!! PlZ!!!" (lol)

3. Your ability to read and follow instructions carefully.
There are a lot of steps to follow while making a server. You will need to follow them carefully if you want to succeed.

4. Your experience with computers.
This is self-explanatory. I have attempted to help many people create their own servers, both computer noobs and experienced geeks. Of course, it was easier to help the geeks, because they know where things are located, without having to explain to them what an ip address or how to get to their firewall settings. I myself do not have much experience with networking, but I do know the steps to server creation pretty well, so forgive me for not giving in depth explanations to some of the terms and steps you will go through.

Now, onto the actual guide!

First things first. Install or update your version of Digital Paint: Paintball2 to the newest one. This will ensure that if problems arise later, they will not be related to build issues. Current newest version is Build 27, so if you do not have that installed, go to
www.digitalpaint.org and install it now. (If you are reading this, simply scroll to the top and click Files/Downloads)

The next step is simple. Go to your pball directory
"C:\Games\Paintball2", hold down the "Alt" button on your keyboard, and drag the "paintball2" exe file onto your desktop. This creates a shortcut named "Shortcut to paintball2". Right click the new shortcut now located on your desktop, and click "Properties". By default, the computer will have any text located in the "Target" box highlighted. This is the box you want to edit. DO NOT delete anything. Simply add "+set dedicated 1 +set public 1 +exec myserver.cfg +map midnight2" WITHOUT the quotations at the end of the text in the box. Do not forget to add a space before the "+set". You can change "+map midnight2" to any map you want. This will be the default map that will be opened when you start your server. You can also change the name of
the server config file to anything you want. This will mainly help you if you are going to have multiple servers.

*Note* If you are planning on having multiple servers, at the end of the text in the "Target" box, add "+set port 27910" without the quotations and with a space before it. Apply the settings and close the window.

Now, double click the "Shortcut to paintball2". Instead of opening the game window, a black box with white text (otherwise known as the command prompt) will appear. If this happens, you're doing good so far.We are now approaching the more complicated section of the server creating process. READ the following instructions carefully and FOLLOW them step by step. If you do not understand them, read them over again, or ask for help on the forums CLEARLY.

*Note* The following requires you to edit some important information on your computer. Making a mistake does not necessarily do any harm, but creating a backup of the default information is a more-than-good idea.

Port forwarding is a complicated process, especially if you don't know what it even is. It's simply to allow other players to access your server through a specific port. In this case, it will be port 27910.

In your start menu, go to "Run..." and type "cmd" without the punctuations. You will be taken to another command prompt (different from your server one). The last line you should see is "C:\Documents and Settings\(your computer's username)>". Simply type "ipconfig/all".

A large amount of text will appear. Copy down the following.
IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers. Then close the command prompt.Now, manuoever to the "Control Panel" and select "Network Connections". Right click the option your internet connection uses and go to "Properties". In the scrollable box, move to the bottom, select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the "Properties" button. Another window should have appeared. This one contains many text boxes, all of them temporarily grayed out. Dot the second circle "Use the following IP address". The text boxes should be available for you to edit. Type in the IP Address you copied down earlier, and change the last number to anything you want. For example, the IP Address you copied down was XXX.XXX.X.100 Change it to XXX.XXX.X.101
The Subnet Mask should be automatically filled for you. Type in the Default Gateway and both DNS servers. When you're done, click OK. And apply the settings. Close the window.

Go to your Internet Explorer or any other web browser you use. In the address box, type in the "Default Gateway" you copied down earlier and press Enter. The browser should have taken you to a site where it contains all your router settings. It will require you to login. By default the Username and Password should both be admin. I suggest you also change these afterwards to prevent your network from being edited by other people. Depending on the type of router you use, the page will change. Move to any section with the words "Port Forwarding" or anything similar. Add a UDP Port, port number 27910. I cannot help you too much with this step, as everyone's router model is different. The only thing I can suggest you do if you need help during this step is to visit www.portforward.com

After completing the port forwarding section, return once more to your "Control Panel" and select "Windows Firewall". At the top, select "Exceptions", and click "Add Port". You can give it any name, but the Port Number must be the port you have added into the properties box earlier. In this case, 27910. Check "UDP" as well.

Now, the server should work.

http://digitalpaint.therisenrealm.com/tools/servertroubleshooter
Go to this site and click "Run Tests". If the results say that your server is in the list and everything looks like it should be working fine, then everything should be working fine. :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:02:42 AM by musickid999 »

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
Re: "I nEeD hElP mAkInG a SeRvEr!!! QuIcKs!!! PlZ!!!"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:46:47 AM »
Sorry about the double post. I needed to make this clear.

I merely wrote this guide to help the community. If it does not work, do NOT flame me. At least I am TRYING to help. Instead, see if you can find out where I went wrong. If you can't do that, I would even appreciate it if you would help me check for grammar errors. (Probably not. In case you haven't noticed, I take my English seriously.) Thank you.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:45:03 AM »
hm its a nice guide, musickid999
but the thing you said about creating more than 1 server ... it will actually help the dp community if there is more servers (especially match servers) but i agree if you meant public servers , if you are gonna create more than 1 server please use one(some) of them as a match server(s)

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »
We dont need alot of home ran servers. Kyuuchi why do you keep wanting match server, ARE YOU HIGH! This will be home ran, Causing Lag, If he other team's member runs the server, he can look at everything you say on team chat, servers wont stay up 24-7. You wont be able to rent these (i think) if you want to get a match server buy one, IF YOU ARE MAKING A SERVER YOU RUN FROM HOME DONT MAKE A MATCH SERVER IT WOULD BE USELESS

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »
robbie be meddling quiet
you have absolutely no idea about websites, servers or anything about computers so dont come here and act like you know everything

if you have a very good internet speed with a low maxclient server (eg 12) the match server will be fine

robbie ..blah i cant be arsed to explain myself to a newb like you

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »
American servers are going down Home will have to do becouse American servers up now is xN priv idk how long and Ij servers go down the end of the month so we need to fix this

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
robbie be meddling quiet
you have absolutely no idea about websites, servers or anything about computers so dont come here and act like you know everything

if you have a very good internet speed with a low maxclient server (eg 12) the match server will be fine

robbie ..blah i cant be arsed to explain myself to a newb like you

U have no idea little boy/girl.. You cant match on a home ran server its a stupid idea, id rather match on euro server with super ping then on usa home ran server,

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »
It doesn't matter if it's at "home." All that matters are the lines that go to the server.

Although it's not just speed. Speed is one thing, but latency is another. Getting low latency lines may be harder for a house, but it depends on your area.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:00:44 PM »
Can you guys argue about this someplace else? PM each other about your disagreements with home run match servers. This thread is for helping newbies start their own servers. A lot of the community are SICK of having threads turn into flame wars, me included. Take your useless, off-topic and grammar-lacking opinions somewhere else.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:45:51 PM by musickid999 »

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 08:08:11 PM »
Can you guys argue about this someplace else? PM each other about your disagreements with home run match servers. This thread is for helping newbies start their own servers. A lot of the community are SICK of having threads turn into flame wars, me included. Take your useless, off-topic and grammar-lacking opinions somewhere else.
Lmao, Musik your just the cool kid now aint you?

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 08:55:42 PM »

He just asked you to do a simple thing and you reply with that. Your cool.

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »

im the most coolest BONER!

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 03:48:17 AM »

No. I'm trying to act my age. Being a senior high school student, I try to speak with correct grammar and spelling. I also try not to cause chaos within every thread I can get my hands on.

im the most coolest BONER!

It's posts like these that make the forums an annoying place to be sometimes. If you aren't going to post a suitable reply to the thread, GTFO. If you're not a moronic idiot that spams excrement on every single thread, continue reading. Otherwise, just leave.

Is there anyone with a lot of server making experience that can help me confirm this guide? I think I might have gone wrong somewhere with the IP address, but I have no way of finding out.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 04:46:49 AM »
American servers are going down Home will have to do becouse American servers up now is xN priv idk how long and Ij servers go down the end of the month so we need to fix this
Umm, Henrod has servers up.  #team_s2k and use the match bot...  They just don't show in the server browser atm as there are a couple of problems with either the way I setup the static IP or something else.  That will be fixed soon and most of the servers will be up.  Problem solved, unless your brother complains to me about having a umm... 70-80 ping?

FluKe

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »
lol yea   idk