Author Topic: Mapping Competition Theme Ideas (and the specific brush) #2  (Read 8896 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
Re: Mapping Competition Theme Ideas (and the specific brush)
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
Lets do something basic and original for the first one :P So thus why not keep it as like Outdoors , or Urban
Everyone (mostly) enjoys playing on these sort of maps
I dont know but thats my input, I think you should definitely have the first competition as easy as possible for a trial ;)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
Re: Mapping Competition Theme Ideas (and the specific brush)
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 11:32:12 PM »
Official thread now created. Visit http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=17953.0 for details.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
Re: Mapping Competition Theme Ideas (and the specific brush) #2
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 04:38:34 AM »
Ok now we need a theme and object for the upcoming competition,

Ill start us off,  Theme - Beach
                      Object - Boat

also, me and musik was talking and he wanted to do something with harry potter, He said like a place in the castle... Idk i didnt like it but you guys might.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 07:18:35 AM »
I didn't really like that object idea. It makes all the maps have similarities and if you can't make it fit with your idea, it's not just good. Only my opininon though...

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »
This isn't really the place to discuss details like this. I've started a thread on the xMAPCOM info site. Give feedback there.
www.paintball2.vague312.com

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 09:14:36 AM »
I have no theme idea, but another thing.

We have so many great new maps, which not really become very public :(

So maybe u can make a criterion, that the maps from the next xMapCom should be good for the [OTB] Speed server. It should have enough different spawn points, weapons, items,...

It would be nice, if we have one or two good new maps and the mapper becomes a lot of (gameplay) feedback.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 09:26:11 AM »
So you're saying, a nice theme for a contest, would be a few speed maps to replace those boring old pub maps like airtime3, shazam33? I agree.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »
So you're saying, a nice theme for a contest, would be a few speed maps to replace those boring old pub maps like airtime3, shazam33? I agree.

Yes, but not a speed map. A map for the speed server. So not a map full of boring ice-speed-jump ways and not too campable.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 11:19:56 AM »
That's stupid. People should be able to make their map for whatever type of gameplay they want, not just for a speed server or matches or regular pub.

Also, I agree with JeeJee, I've never liked the idea of this brush/model thing you HAVE to put in your map.

BTW, I still think your forum is useless, why not just discuss these things here?

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »
My opinion: Something outdoor is usually the best/most used maps. Whether it's snow/sand/grass, due to the fact it's open with the odd speed path, easy paths etc. These indoor maps are nice and all, they look really nice but for gameplay they usually have narrow hallways which don't play out well. So if the goal is to get unusual maps that look really nice, then try the sci-fi. But narrow paths with detail everywhere will not get played often. So is the mapping competition to find cool maps or to produce new solid maps?

Also why not spread out the competitions more so that the people who just submitted maps can work on finishing the map and releasing it? If not, your just adding multiple unfinished maps that have potential to be solid maps in the match/pub scene.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
Here is my pr0shack idea:

Theme: Abandoned/Destroyed

This would work extremely well because there are so many things you can do to create abandoned areas, rundown areas, destroyed areas.  This can be both indoor and outdoor, and can basically utilize the whole texture set. It is the perfect vague theme :D 

- Cusoman

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
Here is my pr0shack idea:

Theme: Abandoned/Destroyed

This would work extremely well because there are so many things you can do to create abandoned areas, rundown areas, destroyed areas.  This can be both indoor and outdoor, and can basically utilize the whole texture set. It is the perfect vague theme :D  

- Cusoman

Sweet, Very nice idea! I think this could be a winner! But lets see what others have to say :P

Also i guess no need for a object, we will just make a theme
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:19:20 PM by RoBbIe »

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »
I have no theme idea, but another thing.

We have so many great new maps, which not really become very public :(

So maybe u can make a criterion, that the maps from the next xMapCom should be good for the [OTB] Speed server. It should have enough different spawn points, weapons, items,...

It would be nice, if we have one or two good new maps and the mapper becomes a lot of (gameplay) feedback.

+1 for me. Why doesn't OTB hold a mapping contest for this? Me and idias will give it a shot!

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »
Keep the discussion on these forums, or I think you'll lose part of the crowd. You should have a little break in between contests, so that people dont have to start something new and can finish up their map from the last one. When picking a theme, keep in mind the map can look really sweet, but have bad gameplay, and since the map is judged on both, I would stay away from maps that are all about looks (referring mainly to indoor maps). And cuso's theme sounds cool :D

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 05:53:28 PM »
I would personally like to see more SCI-FI maps, those just look awesome if done right, and for newer mappers and mappers who don't like crazy terrain, you can make everything look nice too.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »
I would personally like to see more SCI-FI maps, those just look awesome if done right, and for newer mappers and mappers who don't like crazy terrain, you can make everything look nice too.
Also a nice idea :)

nook

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »
Theme: Snowy areas/rocks no ice

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »
Theme: Snowy areas/rocks no ice
Don't think thats broad enough tbh. Any why no ice? It's snowy, one of the few times ice will actually fit in a map so you might as well take advantage of that.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 06:40:12 PM »
A new idea is to have a month's break in between each contest. So if we do host the next contest, it would be from October to December. If this applies, then I have a good theme idea that Robbie just couldn't seem to keep to himself. Since it's Christmas time during the end of December, and it's supposed to be all magical, how would a "Magical" theme sound? Perfect to end the year, and also quite perfect for an official 1st contest, (no test contests).

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 07:24:46 PM »
Magical?  :-\ Sounds like another fail theme...