Author Topic: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.  (Read 57380 times)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2009, 06:55:08 AM »
Well at least right now, these guys can't complain about the judging panel. I'm sure they'll find something else to moan and cry about though, regardless of how well we're actually doing right now. Don't forget people. This is merely the TEST competition. We've already got most of the big details worked out. Future contests should run pretty smoothly.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2009, 06:58:45 AM »
Thinks are going nice and smoth right now, so where doing good right now.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2009, 07:02:42 AM »
Well at least right now, these guys can't complain about the judging panel. I'm sure they'll find something else to moan and cry about though, regardless of how well we're actually doing right now. Don't forget people. This is merely the TEST competition. We've already got most of the big details worked out. Future contests should run pretty smoothly.
Thinks are going nice and smoth right now, so where doing good right now.
True and true. Some idiots just come in here and piss me off when they run their mouths into the ground and start complaining about how this isn't gunna work... (Mewa) It just gets really annoying.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »
True and true. Some idiots just come in here and piss me off when they run their mouths into the ground and start complaining about how this isn't gunna work... (Mewa) It just gets really annoying.

At least Mewa provides actual, helpful feedback. Some other people merely complain. Now, enough talking in this thread, we're surprisingly up to 7 pages already! It's not even halfway through the contest!

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2009, 07:09:04 AM »
Anyone else have any imput about what we are talking about?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2009, 07:09:45 AM »
To the guys who are complaining:
Just let us do our thing. It'll work out in the end with fair judges and everything you've hoped for. (I/We hope)

Nobody is complaining, atleast not me. I just stated my opinion.

But for the real deal, when we get these entry number and where we'll be submitting our maps?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2009, 07:13:55 AM »
I'll be posting a more detailed reply later on in the contest, but here's what we're doing so far.

Each group will be getting an entry number from an xMAPCOM member 1-2 weeks before the end of the contest. They'll have to include that entry number in their map's worldspawn message. We're talking about if we should send entry numbers on request, just in case some mappers are finished early and want to get it over with. There are some problems with that idea though.
Each entry will have to be sent, emailed, anything, to any xMAPCOM member in the format of a zip, including all the necessary contents. From there, the playable map (.bsp) file will be sent to the judges for rating.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2009, 07:20:24 AM »
The necessary content should be any textures they used that we might not have; any sounds or models stuff like that.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2009, 07:21:56 AM »
The necessary content should be any textures they used that we might not have; any sounds or models stuff like that.

Again, I'll be posting further details on that later on in the competition. But he's right, it mainly contains the map itself along with its textures, models and sounds.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2009, 07:23:40 AM »
I'll be posting a more detailed reply later on in the contest, but here's what we're doing so far.

Each group will be getting an entry number from an xMAPCOM member 1-2 weeks before the end of the contest. They'll have to include that entry number in their map's worldspawn message. We're talking about if we should send entry numbers on request, just in case some mappers are finished early and want to get it over with. There are some problems with that idea though.
Each entry will have to be sent, emailed, anything, to any xMAPCOM member in the format of a zip, including all the necessary contents. From there, the playable map (.bsp) file will be sent to the judges for rating.

.map file not needed? On a side note, i think my map could be ready at the weekend. Rick fixed the triangulation error fro my other map so i think i can fix it from this.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2009, 07:27:29 AM »
Ok, cool can't wait to see how it looks. Keep up the good work and have fun.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »
.map file not needed? On a side note, i think my map could be ready at the weekend. Rick fixed the triangulation error fro my other map so i think i can fix it from this.

It will be needed. Guess I'll post a list of what's needed here and now.

Map Pack (Please give the zip pack the same name as your map. This will help the general organization of the entries.)
- playable map file (.bsp)
- editable map file (.map)
- necessary textures, models and sounds
(the above three should be put into the eight folders for zip extraction convenience)
- notepad (.txt) file including map name, short map description, mapper name, entry number

I think that's it for now.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2009, 07:48:59 AM »
Map Pack (Please give the zip pack the same name as your map. This will help the general organization of the entries.)
- playable map file (.bsp)
- editable map file (.map)
- necessary textures, models and sounds
(the above three should be put into the eight folders for zip extraction convenience)
- notepad (.txt) file including map name, short map description, mapper name, entry number

I feel confuzled. You say we can't put our names to the map's title, but you're asking a .txt file with the same info?

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2009, 07:53:15 AM »
I feel confuzled. You say we can't put our names to the map's title, but you're asking a .txt file with the same info?

The ONLY things we'll be giving to the judges are the two mapfiles, none of which should contain the mapper's name. The .txt file is for further information on the map for the xMAPCOM members.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2009, 08:30:51 AM »
This is really a bit complex isn't it? All to try and eliminate judge bias? If a judge cared enough it wouldn't be hard to find out who had made the map just by asking around. This also prevents public betas, which means that it is likely the maps will be released with unforeseen bugs and may not be updated. I wanted to show screens of my map :(

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2009, 08:42:59 AM »
This is really a bit complex isn't it? All to try and eliminate judge bias? If a judge cared enough it wouldn't be hard to find out who had made the map just by asking around. This also prevents public betas, which means that it is likely the maps will be released with unforeseen bugs and may not be updated. I wanted to show screens of my map :(

I agree with Vic, and as far this is a test, don't go too formal. Imo, this should be more like having fun than a "serious competition". Part of the fun falls away when i can't spam to other peoples beta threads :(

Btw, i almost have my map done:D

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2009, 08:54:44 AM »

That's true. Guess we'll just eliminate that rule then. XD
Feel free to do whatever with your map. If you're going to cheat, I only have one thing to say to you. Don't get caught. lol

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »
You also have to think, this is a test run and things can change like that rule or not. If that rule goes terribly bad we might take it off, but we don’t know yet. Good to hear more than one or two people almost done, keep up the good work and hope to see your map soon, good luck to all.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
I don't think the judging will work right... You have 2 mappers judging mapping aspects of each map, and you have 2 matchers testing gameplay and appearance, but you can't really test gameplay with just 2 judges. A 1v1... doubt many of the maps will be made for that, even a 2v2 will all the judges I feel will fall short of truly testing a maps gameplay.

Also, who wants to release a map that doesn't(disallowed) have their name on it. Also when you release your map, even if it is easier for you to tell whos map it is, who would want an entry number etc and xMapcom in their message >.>

If you just let people put their names on it, then you wouldn't need a number.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »
I don't think the judging will work right... You have 2 mappers judging mapping aspects of each map, and you have 2 matchers testing gameplay and appearance, but you can't really test gameplay with just 2 judges. A 1v1... doubt many of the maps will be made for that, even a 2v2 will all the judges I feel will fall short of truly testing a maps gameplay.

Also, who wants to release a map that doesn't(disallowed) have their name on it. Also when you release your map, even if it is easier for you to tell whos map it is, who would want an entry number etc and xMapcom in their message >.>

If you just let people put their names on it, then you wouldn't need a number.

Well, the 2 matching judges could give me a list of people that they would invite for a private "test match" on the map. Once of us would have to ok it first though.
And I already decided to eliminate that rule, due to the lack of thinking in that perspective on my part.