Author Topic: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.  (Read 58319 times)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2009, 02:02:46 AM »
Alright, I will wait for Rimini's confirmation before I edit my first post.

Note: It is now the halfway point of the contest. We hope that all the contestants have reached a suitable point in their entry.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »
yeah we're together.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »
cant wait to see what you guys came up with, hopefully these can go on some server right away after judging.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:25 AM »
What's the exact date when judging starts and maps must been submitted?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »
Still 3 weeks??!!?

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2009, 12:40:02 AM »
well look whos talking im not even close with mine and riminis i MIGHT finish in time

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2009, 04:40:47 AM »
People can start handing in their submissions 1 week before the submission due date (which is August 29), so if your map is done, you can send it to any xMAPCOM member (hopefully the more active ones) after August 22.

You can send your entry to me via email or xfire, (music-kid_im-lovin-it@hotmail.com or Musik999) if you want. But please, AFTER August 22. It's still way too early.

We have a creative and entertaining idea to reveal the results of the contest, but it requires all the contestants and anyone else interested to post their time zone. Thank you.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »
Sorry I missed the cutoff date. I just for back from my weeklong vacation in Cape Cod (for all you New Englanders out there, you know what it is)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2009, 10:15:26 AM »
Hm. I haven't updated this thread lately. Been quite busy. And no, xMAPCOM is not dead. Not while I'm alive.

Important Edit

Title: xMAPCOM 2009 Summer Season
Theme: Underground
Object: Rock
Submission Period: August 22 2009 - August 29 2009
Judging Period: August 27 2009 - August 31 2009

Judges:
Rick and Cameron (Mapping Aspects)
SuperMan and Skitzo (Gameplay Aspects)

Entries:
Robbie and Musik
Spook
Rimini and RoBiNHooD
RewinD
ViciouZ
JeeJee and blaa
Putt-Putt and ic3y
aircrew

As soon as the Submission Period begins, contestants may start to post their map on the forums. Make sure it is clear that the map is an entry for xMAPCOM Summer 09.

The pack must include:
Final Compiled Playable Map (.bsp)
Necessary Materials (textures, sounds, models)
Notepad File with the following:
Name of Mapper(s)
Name of Map
Brief Description of Map

The announcement of the contest results will be happening in a few possible ways.
One. A creative splash picture of the winning entry, along with details of the results will be posted on the forums.
Two. If we get enough time and support, a live announcement on a public server. We realize there are time issues with this way, but a demo could be provided for those curious to see but were unable to participate.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:51:13 PM by musickid999 »

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2009, 07:17:48 AM »
musik, if you need help I mght be able to help take mpas in but i'm not sure yet, be movin into my dorm soon.

My Xfire name is: UDead0
My Email is: foxxman11@yahoo.com, if you send it to me please put what subject, name and all that stuff so I don’t put it in spam folder or get deleted.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:12:54 AM by UDead »

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2009, 08:57:03 AM »
People can start handing in their submissions 1 week before the submission due date (which is August 29), so if your map is done, you can send it to any xMAPCOM member (hopefully the more active ones) after August 22.
XFire is pheeks
E-Mail is cclancy27@gmail.com
(Incase any of you decide to send it to me)

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »
I think all members should look, like the mapper submits it to musik, then musik shows all of the members. That would make more sense to me

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2009, 12:12:12 PM »
I don't like how this is set up. Changes I would make immediately.

1.  Only place to release the map is on the forums. So the entire community can see all maps, and so the entrant can get feedback as usual. None of this Submission personnel mumbo-jumbo.

2.  You should never have to give your .map away.  Honestly if you cannot tell the difference between a stolen map and unique map then you should not be a judge.

3.  Why do people need to say if they are entering?  Just have a release date and let anyone who makes a map enter a map on the forums by that date, like the previous contests.

4. Because of the theme you chose, you are going to get a bunch of caves with similar texture sets.  This cannot really be changed now :/

W/E.  The above reasons basically explain why I am not participating :/

-Cusoman

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »
4. Because of the theme you chose, you are going to get a bunch of caves with similar texture sets.  This cannot really be changed now :/

I agree with Cuso more or less, but this one is more up to the mappers. If 8 of 10 mappers are making caves or similar and the 2 remaining will do something different and unique, either one of the 2 will propably win the contest.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »
I don't like how this is set up. Changes I would make immediately.

1.  Only place to release the map is on the forums. So the entire community can see all maps, and so the entrant can get feedback as usual. None of this Submission personnel mumbo-jumbo.

2.  You should never have to give your .map away.  Honestly if you cannot tell the difference between a stolen map and unique map then you should not be a judge.

3.  Why do people need to say if they are entering?  Just have a release date and let anyone who makes a map enter a map on the forums by that date, like the previous contests.

W/E.  The above reasons basically explain why I am not participating :/

-Cusoman

TBH, I agree with every point of Cusoman's post.

1. The GGC mapping contest only had mappers post on these forums which worked well, also to identify them as a GGC contest map they named their thread title accordingly.

2. I think I've already made a post about this in this thread, but to recap, if you can't tell whether clip brushes were used or if there are misaligned brushes etc., without looking at a .map file, then you shouldn't be judging the mapping aspects.

3. Yes, having to have the xMAPCOM in your 'message' shouldn't be neccessary. As long as you release on the forums with an appropriate thread title, you should be able to figure out that the map is for the contest.

4. Although I chose to compete, I wasn't particularily fond of the theme either. With our current texture set, most mappers inability to create custom textures, and the theme's overall failure to draw original and creative maps from the contestants, only a minimum of the maps submitted will be very unique.

+1 Cuso, but I'm still participating :)

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
i agree that you should not have to give out your .map file.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »
i agree that you should not have to give out your .map file.
Definitely. It'll just lead to someone making a copy of your map, which will not be good.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2009, 04:51:07 PM »
Even though the xmapcom would not do that, just incase its gets in to the wrong people or gets misplaced somewhere.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
i agree no .map, also we should release on the forum no personal bs...