Author Topic: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.  (Read 58322 times)

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
i agree no .map, also we should release on the forum no personal bs...
I don't think that would be a good idea because then it'll someone will dl it and start critiquing it before the judges get to and it will get extremely annoying

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »
Who cares if someone else posts comments on it? In the end it's going to be the judges decision anyways.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »
Rofl, just thought that the judging should be done before the map gets released, so the judges can rate them without any bias.
As for the .map file, the only people that would have had a copy of it would have been me or the mapping judges. We're all pretty trustworthy, but if you all insist on not wanting to provide it, be my guest.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2009, 04:52:31 AM »
Personally I am all in favour of releasing .map files - they are useful to learn from, not to mention the fact that their release means may dissuade mappers from making any really cheap hacks when other people will see them.

I don't see why we have to send the maps to an xmapcom member, seeing as they aren't judging the maps anyway. Just release them on the forums.

And on the point about all the maps being similar, I think everyone has either done a cave or a bunker. Maybe somebody has done a silo. That might be nice.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2009, 05:01:49 AM »
Rimini, I haven't seen you in ages :(

Come.
To.
Australia.

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
Ok, like musik said, we should change it to not having to privide your mapfile, but if you want to you can.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2009, 08:04:52 AM »
Can the .map files be sent to judges and only after the season is over released on the forums?
I agree that releasing them would make most people copy eachothers maps and not learning from them, but I also agree in some of of the things pointed out by viciouz, but still think that the maps shouldn't be immediately released.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2009, 08:08:59 AM »
Can’t you just post a thread on your map with the right info for the contest and then immediately locks the thread so no one can post any bio against the map or mapper, then unlock the thread after all judging is over?

pheeks

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2009, 08:29:11 AM »
I don't think that would be a good idea b.c then only like... 1 mapper would be able to post his/her map on this thread, then it would get locked.

EDIT: Oh, you were talking about starting a new thread.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »
I don't think you can unlock threads. But officially, let's just make the .map file optional, or if you really want actual technical feedback using the .map file and don't trust any of the xMAPCOM members, send it directly to the judges themselves.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »
Directed to all participants - It would be greatly appreciated if screenshots of your entry can be shown, mainly to keep the community's interest in this contest high and to show everyone the progress they have made.

Seeing as nobody else has done this yet, and I'm an self-absorbed arse, I put some previews up at my new blog (how original).

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2009, 04:29:22 PM »
nice site.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »
Seeing as nobody else has done this yet, and I'm an self-absorbed arse, I put some previews up at my new blog (how original).

Looks nice, lets hope it plays well :)

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
Viciouz, that's sexy! I too, hope it plays well. The rain is put me in awe, it's just a perfect touch. I didn't get a chance to tell you how good it looked on IRC previously, since you d/c before i say something, but this looks really good! :)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2009, 11:59:25 PM »
Viciouz, that's sexy! I too, hope it plays well. The rain is put me in awe, it's just a perfect touch. I didn't get a chance to tell you how good it looked on IRC previously, since you d/c before i say something, but this looks really good! :)
Way to not like me Rimini.

So whats the big deal about posting .map files, it helps people learn, the judges can see the techinicality of the map and it's not like downloading a .map file is the only way to get it...(If thats why you don't want to post them).

Also pheeks, What is the big problem about posting .map files?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:56:57 AM by Rick »

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2009, 02:30:56 AM »
Personally, I don't see what's the problem with releasing .map files either. If your map is decent but boring, then who would really look at it? If your map is amazing and people want to learn, then they can take a look and learn from it. Unless you have missile launch codes in your .map, why not release it and allow people to explore? If your map has a secret, then make another version of the .map without the secret, and release the alternate version.

But meh, my opinion. Seems a lot of people are against releasing the .map source.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2009, 04:29:46 AM »
Nothing against anyone’s opinion, but honestly its up to the mapper if he or she feels like they can trust whoever get there map and weather they want to include there .map file, but that’s my opinion.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2009, 05:27:44 AM »
Looks nice, lets hope it plays well :)

Yeah, that's the problem :P

I'm looking for somebody to help get it properly playable, right now it's just awkward. Not sure if that's allowed though, the rules said something about declaring all participants by a certain date?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2009, 06:01:26 AM »

Nothing against anyone’s opinion, but honestly its up to the mapper if he or she feels like they can trust whoever get there map and weather they want to include there .map file, but that’s my opinion.

10. Entries must be submitted in the following format to any xMAPCOM member.
   a. Name of Mapper(s)
   b. Name of Map
   c. Brief Description of Map
   d. Date of Submission
   e. Any Necessary Materials (textures, sounds, models)
   f. Compiled Map in .bsp format
   g. Final Version of Map in .map format
11. Entries must be recieved by any xMAPCOM member before the cutoff time. A confirmation will be sent upon recieval.

It was in the rules that the .map file had to be supplied. Everyone signed up knowing this..

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2009, 06:48:16 AM »
With musik and the xmapcom members, rules can be changed by the owner, but I don’t know what rule book you go by, many people have different views on it and they are titled to that.