Author Topic: Illegal instruction  (Read 3081 times)

BlaSTa

• PGP
Illegal instruction
« on: March 01, 2006, 10:31:27 PM »
  I tried to install the v16 linux server. I extracted the files like normal and tried to start the server.
  I get this:

Paintball 2 -- Version 3.21+r0.16
Illegal Instruction

and then back to the prompt.

I realize this is a linux error not a pball error but I did try to remove and reinstall the files without any cfg editing, and still got the same message.
  I'm running Red Hat Linux
  I tried several cmd lines including:
./paintball2 +set dedicated 1 +map midnight

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Illegal instruction
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »
Are you using the minserver file?  "Illegal Instruction" is pretty vague.  I may have to create a debug version for you so I can see exactly where the problem is.  "./paintball2 +set dedicated 1 +map midnight" should work, though.  Are you running this on your own machine or is it hosted somewhere?

BlaSTa

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 07:07:14 PM »
I'm using the full install file. The linux box is local on the same lan.  It's currently running the FRoZen Pball server.  I changed port on that server to make sure that wasn't the problem. I extracted and was trying to run the v16 server from a different directory than the current server.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 08:05:30 PM »
Hm, try the minserver just for kicks.  It includes just one map (midnight), so you should be able to run it with ./paintball2 +set dedicated 1 +map midnight.

BlaSTa

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:07:20 PM »
  I get the same message, so i'm sure it's on my end.  The box runs v14 or whatever with no problem.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had this error?  I'll try rebooting at some point, but that's usually not the problem with linux unlike windows. I looks like something in the first couple of lines of the exe must be what it doesn't like.
  The files are extracted as a user and not as root, using root gets the same message so I'd guess it's not a permission problem, but of course I could be wrong.  I'm using tar xvfz <file> to extract.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:06:55 PM »
Well, bain and I were both able to get it to work.  It worked on my laptop running debian and on EV1 (can't remember what they run offhand - I want to say redhat).  I'm not sure what bain's host for PBCup runs, either.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 03:57:19 AM »
Get ahold of me on a weekday and I'll see if I can help you.
AIM: XBain

BlaSTa

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 04:09:04 PM »
  Ok thx, I don't use AIM, I'll just try getting in touch with you on irc.  Thank you.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 02:54:37 AM »
I think the problem has to do with optimizations that were enabled but aren't available on your cpu.  What processor do you have on the server machine?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 01:38:38 PM »
P3 600Mhz

BlaSTa

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 12:03:56 AM »
You know what? I think I lied to you bain, I think it's a P450... heck it's so old I can't even remember.  That was always the nice thing about Paintball, I used to run a poor cable server on a P200MX... now I run a poor cable server on a P450. :)
  As I've seen you say Jitspoe, it doesn't take much cpu to run paintball.  This P450 was pretty good in it's day.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 04:06:40 AM »
Do this for me.  Type "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and paste the results here.  I didn't do anything specific to i686.  After googling around, I think it might be a bug in gcc where it tries to use sse2 instructions when -msse is set.

BlaSTa

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 09:00:52 AM »
HA! It's not even a pentium.

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 8
model name      : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping        : 12
cpu MHz         : 444.591
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr
bogomips        : 884.73

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 01:12:38 PM »
No wonder... it doesn't support SSE at all.  Well, I can make a special non-SSE build for you, but the SSE is required to make calculations on the client and server consistent.  Without it, clients will get prediction errors.  This is most prevalent on maps with slopes.  deep.bsp is the worst.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »
Ok, I've created a no-SSE build here: http://dpball.com/files/servers/paintball2_build016_linux_nosse.tar.gz

See if that works out for you.  Unfortunately without SSE, the math calculations will be off and cause... oh, I guess I already said that.

BlaSTa

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 04:51:47 PM »
  Sorry it took so long to reply. I had problems logining into the forums.
  I just wanted to thank Jits and Bain for the help they gave me, so Thank you Jits and Bain.
  The server is running with this build, too bad this old processor can't run the best build, someday I may come accross a newer box to put a server on.  But until then it's running.
  Thanks again.