Poll

Which of these would you like to see the most effort put into?

Catching and banning cheaters.
13 (20.3%)
Improved media (better textures, sounds, models, etc.)
14 (21.9%)
Bug fixes.
3 (4.7%)
Performance (higher FPS).
6 (9.4%)
New features.
10 (15.6%)
Drawing and retaining more new players (improved accessibility, etc).
13 (20.3%)
Other.
5 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: What is Most Important to Work on?  (Read 9343 times)

abnormal

• Autococker
Re: What is Most Important to Work on?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 02:34:05 AM »
1. Improved media (better textures, sounds, models, etc.)
2. Drawing and retaining more new players (improved accessibility, etc).
3. Catching and banning cheaters.

4. Performance (higher FPS).
5. New features.
6. Bug fixes.
7. Other.

These 3 above are imho the most important. 1. and 2. to make DP look better and get more players and the 3rd one is for players who are matching and playing longer - to be the match regular.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 05:45:31 AM »
Migrate the game to a new platform/engine

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »
more people, there used to be tons of newbies in the pubs, but they've dwindled down. I think its because there is no retaining factor other than clans.

punkbuster. or some auto-ban for the cheat detection.

I should mention that bejk-cz and lucik joined after all the newbies, so at one point it was 3 newbies vs me and 1 newbie observing.

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 06:00:25 AM »
Most important : Fixing the Linux client so it doesn't crash at random any more

Its been the same since 0.26 : http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=16798.msg164247#msg164247

If it is ogg related cant you at least temporary remove that for the linux client ?  0.23 worked fine but I can no longer go on servers on that version.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 04:58:14 AM »
IMO Features. Current in-game server browser may well scare plenty of newcomers with its lack of functionality.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 06:04:38 AM »
why is everyone so eager to catch/ban cheaters?  let the cheaters cheat, they'll do that no matter how much effort you put into that topic. Instead of spending your valuable time on that topic, there are so many things you need to intend to improve the game... 5 years ago, nobody cared much about cheaters and everybody had more fun (or at least the community was more fun back then).

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 08:16:03 AM »
Have to agree with b00nlander, this forum is crap largely due to the hackusations and cheater reports that have taken over. GBL provides a false sense of security, since some exploits went public and have yet to be completely detected. Speedcheat detection kicks too many false-positives to be enabled and those are the guys causing the only grief in the pubs. The GBL for the size of this community is too much for one admin to handle on a part-time basis, plus now we've got an extra layer of bureaucracy which slows down the process even more. Keep giving out 32 day bans to the kids who download penix or zgh from google, permban the guys who are going out of their way to aimbot and run modded maps. Give them 5 days to get flamed on the forums and then permban them from here too, no one really cares about the multi accounts they're going spend night and day finding while they're banned.

The media has been improving greatly, keep it up. People will get used to the new sounds with time.. it's just hard adjusting your reactions to different sound cues when you've been used to the same crappy bad quality .wav for years. This game would really benefit from a couple semi-dedicated 2D and 3D artists. Maybe the toolset for these could be made more accessible and documented? Once you have a couple guys doing the gfx and modeling work the mappers will be able to kick the quality of their maps up a notch.

Would love to see lots of bugs fixed, but I can understand that those are annoying to do if you have to track them down... most people here won't notice, or they'll complain that you broke it or something else.

Performance is good in most cases, but I would like to see a faster low quality reflective water setting. Some of the variable LOD ideas with models would be welcomed too.

New features, specifically those for server administration and competitive play would be greatly appreciated by many clans, not just the annoying ones. We should be integrating the DPLogin into the game even further. Let admins ban and auto-op players by their dplogin id. The framework is in place and seems pretty solid, it's just a few smaller features that would give it so much added value. Stats are another big feature that would add a lot of depth to the game and community.

Don't worry about attracting new players so much, it obviously gets the new players in somehow since you still pull 10k+ dl/month and have 100k registrations. How you do so is beyond me, since your pagerank doesn't even look that good for popular paintball keywords. There's lots to be done on the accessibility side, mainly starting with a revamped in game server browser. Another idea might be to put a couple extra screens in the installer to let the players pick some default video settings. Some demo tutorials (with possible voice-over) would be great to let the first time players learn how to move around, shoot, pickup and drop gear, and show the rules for different gametypes.

I'm torn between voting bug fixes or new features, but I don't really like the state of the feature votes so it doesn't really matter.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »
Speedcheat detection kicks too many false-positives to be enabled and those are the guys causing the only grief in the pubs.

It is enabled on all of our server (except otb soccer) since one or two years and we have no problems.

The media has been improving greatly, keep it up. People will get used to the new sounds with time.. it's just hard adjusting your reactions to different sound cues when you've been used to the same crappy bad quality .wav for years. This game would really benefit from a couple semi-dedicated 2D and 3D artists. Maybe the toolset for these could be made more accessible and documented? Once you have a couple guys doing the gfx and modeling work the mappers will be able to kick the quality of their maps up a notch.

Would love to see lots of bugs fixed, but I can understand that those are annoying to do if you have to track them down... most people here won't notice, or they'll complain that you broke it or something else.

Performance is good in most cases, but I would like to see a faster low quality reflective water setting. Some of the variable LOD ideas with models would be welcomed too.

New features, specifically those for server administration and competitive play would be greatly appreciated by many clans, not just the annoying ones. We should be integrating the DPLogin into the game even further. Let admins ban and auto-op players by their dplogin id. The framework is in place and seems pretty solid, it's just a few smaller features that would give it so much added value. Stats are another big feature that would add a lot of depth to the game and community.

Don't worry about attracting new players so much, it obviously gets the new players in somehow since you still pull 10k+ dl/month and have 100k registrations. How you do so is beyond me, since your pagerank doesn't even look that good for popular paintball keywords. There's lots to be done on the accessibility side, mainly starting with a revamped in game server browser. Another idea might be to put a couple extra screens in the installer to let the players pick some default video settings. Some demo tutorials (with possible voice-over) would be great to let the first time players learn how to move around, shoot, pickup and drop gear, and show the rules for different gametypes.

+1

I'm torn between voting bug fixes or new features, but I don't really like the state of the feature votes so it doesn't really matter.

Bug fixing ;)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 08:53:41 AM »
Speedcheat detection kicks too many false-positives to be enabled and those are the guys causing the only grief in the pubs.

It is enabled on all of our server (except otb soccer) since one or two years and we have no problems.

Good to hear, last time I had it enabled I was watching the logs and it was getting a few legit players kicked every day. That may have been on a crappy network though. I'll give it a go when I setup the pubs.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »
We set it to 240.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
thx for the extensive post, xbain, I was too lazy to write as much :)

nook

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »
What do you think jitspoe...?

gonzales

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009, 12:18:57 AM »
Hello,
If we (you,team who's working on this game)
make a better textures(realistic) = with more details.
(for example check paintball vs. Unreal Tournament 3)
vs.
and make more realistic animations when player die like this( For Example in DP2 : I mean if hes on map "shock=worst map ever" and hes up and he die,so after when he die he fall in - down to grass (u understand?  :))
 (If someone played CS:Source he know what I mean) :

or when player run (with gun) it must be more real than DP2 player who's sliding on map when you dont use spacebar :P :
(i had here one good animation,but that gif was deleted somehow,so i found some youtube wid , check it from 1:04 how run that 2nd guy who's following 1st ,it's that what i mean) anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF9aoxIUIY0

.. ehm
And after this you can call some new players to the game or do some advertisement (promotion)
But I know,If you (Jit's team) try this changes,players with weaker pc's will cry (lags)
so lol :
1. Improved media (better textures, sounds, models, etc.).
2. New Features.
3. Bug Fixes.
5. Drawing and retaining more new players (improved accessibility, etc.).
6-7. Other. & Catching and banning cheaters.

:P (btw for better textures & shadows etc.  we must make new great maps together with more details ..if someone didn't understand it's his Problem)

-Bye Gonzales
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:00:37 AM by gonzales »

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 06:32:25 AM »
U can't use shock vs ut3. Choose a much better map with more details (coi, zen, kungfu for example) vs ut3.

and make more realistic animations when player die
This is a paintball game. Players can not die, they can only be marked.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
If I had to put those in order:
1. Drawing and retaining more new players (improved accessibility, etc).
2. Catching and banning cheaters.
3. Improved media (better textures, sounds, models, etc.)
5. New features.
6. Bug fixes.
7. Other.

I basically totally agree with P!NK because i remeber when i first started playing and the pub servers where full most of the time and i often had to wait to get in but that rarely happens now. there are definetly a lot less players and ... -

-- without the players there is no game --

SKEET

• VM-68
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 01:36:47 AM »
1. Prevent people from hacking (prolly not possible but O WELL)
2.Get new player

I think that a reason for a lot of the really new players not getting more into the game is because they don't really get into the match scene. like if you don't meet somebody or know somebody that already plays the game then you definitly aren't going to go out and download mirc and find the channels and junk like that. if there was some way to get more people on mirc and ventrilo and into the match scene i guarantee this game would explode. it is seriously one of the most addicting games i have ever played. =]

O i almost forgot. I think dplogin kinda ruined this game for me. I loved before dplogin when you could just use what ever name that you wanted and you could have your clan tag anyway. the freedom was really cool. dplogin is just really annoying. I know it really helps you keep track of things but it kinda ruined this game for me and probably a few other older players.

<33 build 16 4 life!!!

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 12:34:20 PM »
We should disable fast downloads when a client is first installed, then create a download screen with an IRC chatbox auto-connected to #paintball :P

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
When I come to think about it, this game could also use some more diversity in gameplay mechanics. Specifically the weapons on higher end are quite different from each other (cocker vs Mag obviously comes to mind), but how about Stingray, VM-68 or Trracer? They're all pretty mediocre with no discerning feats and therefore, in vast majority of games/maps I've played over 3 years, omitted. Compare this to other fast paced games - in most of them all weapons are rather well rounded - some have higher rof, some more damage per bullet, some hitscan, some splash dmg. I know it's paintball ffs, so no rocket launcher or laser gun, but some tweaks to make others more distinguishable would be welcome. How about making Trracer have significantly more fps than others (so more range and less compensating for target's movement) but slow rof? Or actual semi aut? Or maybe even shotgun with low fps and rof but shooting 3 or 5 balls at once? Some weapons as of now bring absolutely nothing to the table (faster than previous one, with same range, but maybe with weird firing pattern = when you find Carbine, obviously you ditch it). IMO every weapon should be done so that it could be someone's favourite. Now it's not really the case.

Also as you get basic functionalities like integrated server browser (PW required, GLS required, sorting, filtering, searching and all that basic stuff) and maybe some tutorials, why not think about little polishes in the game? I do not ask for extra high polygons/extra high detailed textures, more like small touches that make overall experience funner. Like CO2 escaping barrels with every shot. That kind of stuff. As I see you already are heading in the right direction, as surface specific sounds, and different splats on barrels are this kind of things I was talking about.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
( = when you find Carbine, obviously you ditch it).
I don't. Carbine is the 2nd best gun.

Jitspoe made the guns to resemble IRL, the cheaper guns are worse all around...

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »
Carbine is my fav !!!! :(