Author Topic: Would this be a good server ?  (Read 5350 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
Would this be a good server ?
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »
The server im interested in is a:
Intel pentium 4
      Intel Pentium P4 2.8Ghz.
      1GB PC2700 ram.
      80GB 7200 8MB cache hard drive.
      Unlimited Gaming Bandwidth.
      Windows or Linux.

* FREE Setup on all dedicated servers.
    * FREE 12 slot Ventrilo server.
    * FREE APC PDU Remote Reboot port. Whats an APC Dedicated Rack ServerPDU?
    * FREE KVM Over IP feed. Whats a KVM Over IP feed?
    * FREE Fast map redirection service.
    * Multi Gbit Fiber Network linked to global transit providers Tiscali and Telewest.
    * UNLIMITED Gaming bandwidth as standard.
    * FREE KillerCreation Game Panel available on request.
    * Uncapped full duplex 100Mbit network port as standard.
    * Efficient and polite customer service.
    * Full access via VNC, RDP or SSH.
    * Detailed bandwidth graphs. 95th Percentile graphing provided.
    * Windows or Linux. Available Operating Systems: Win XP Pro, Win 2003 Server, CentOS, and Fedora.
    * Access to ftp.killercreation.co.uk to download all your favorite games in minutes.

But... If i bought it, i wouldnt know how to add paintball2 to the FTP to create a server

questions:
1: how many servers would this be able to host?
2: would it be good?
3: how do i add the pball 2 servers :o

btw the price is awesome!
£49.00 a month +VAT

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Would this be a good server ?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »
1 - Not exactly sure about those specs, but I've ran 4 match + 1 pub on far worse hardware than that with 1GB of RAM. This was before the advent of 32 player speed servers, though.
2 - Good enough for DP, maybe not for some big Source Engine or Q4 servers. Make sure you get a few UK and central european players to ping and traceroute the test IPs they have.
3 - If you have to ask, this may not be the best option for you. Most times these places will say "Thanks for your money, your server's IP W.X.Y.Z root password is xxxyyy". From there you have to figure out how to login, add some user accounts, configure and start your FTP server, upload the DP tars, upload configs, write a script to start your servers, setup the firewall, then maybe you'll be ready to spawn a server.

If you're going to get a dedicated server, you need to be fully responsible for the administration and security of the server. The hosting provider won't provide much help beyond network and hardware support. Anything in your operating system is up to you. Security is serious, if you leave your server up with a base configuration and little to no firewall, some script kiddie will probably break into your server after a year. One of my servers was nearly rooted because of a week old exploit in some web software I had installed. Another time I was rooted after a friend gave out his ftp account, their actions got our entire datacenter glined from quite a few irc networks.

Here's some reference material:
Reviews/Q&A: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2
Dealz: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:53:41 AM »
Thanks xtremebain,
Should I get a fully managed dedicated server? where they do everything and such.

btw, im looking for some european servers, in euro's/gbp ;)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »
You're best getting a managed plan if you're unsure about these things.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/ds-250_linux/
is that any good? (Its not managed but i can learn these things :P )

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
woah, woah, is a VPS any good? i'll read about it in a sec, but i can get a VPS plan for £18 a month, much cheaper than the dedicated servers

would it still be able to host 2-3 servers easily?
(Hard Drive: 10GB)
(Monthly Bandwidth: 300GB)
(Guaranteed RAM: 384MB)

http://www.webhosting.uk.com/vps-hosting.php

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
- 2 cores > 1 :)
- 10Mbps is enough for hosting a few servers, but if you start to mirror files you might start lagging your servers. I usually pay the extra $10 for 100Mbps, I think it's worth it. Transferring at 10MByte/s is pretty sick..
- I'm not too sure about the 512MB of ram, I wouldn't want to host anything else on that same server if it uses 100MB+. I think usage for 16plr servers is around 30-40MB/server, but I would have to check.
- 20 euros extra for RHEL5 is a joke, that's about the cost of a Red Hat Network subscription but I'm betting they won't give you that, just updates from a RHN satellite server located in their data center. You can get by with CentOS/Ubuntu just fine.

- VPS is really hit or miss depending on how they've decided to slice up the resources, what the capping/burst policy is and how crowded the physical server that your VPS is being hosted on. More than a few VPS providers have been known to oversell their hardware so performance really sucks. But on the other hand, I've heard of people being able to run a couple CS:S servers from a little VPS with no problems. Your VPS might be solid for 6 months then all of a sudden some other guy gets a VPS on the same server and kills the performance for everyone. Game servers like to have immediate access to the CPU, whereas web servers don't mind sitting in the queue for a few moments. Most people you're sharing with on the VPS host will probably be inexperienced admins running their bloated forum, crappy web app with database queries chewing up the entire system. Your mileage will vary.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
hmm, i see. im looking for like a couple (2-3) match servers to host.  and i see how others can "hog" up the server
but i wont be using the VPS for webspace or anything, i can use my dads for that crap ;)
i just want a simple, cheap, uk/european vps/dedicated site which has host 2-3 servers easily :D

Thanks xtremebain for all your answers, btw

--edit--
I think I just hit the jackpot O_O
(The higher the RAM = More servers, right?)

Guaranteed CPU:    Pentium 4 1.4GHz (5.6GHz Burst) 
Guaranteed RAM:    1GB
Burst RAM:    4GB    
Disk Space:    100GB    
Data Transfer:    1000GB    
IP Addresses:    4    

Monthly Price (£ GB Flag):    £35.00
is that a mega deal or what? :o
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:31:38 PM by Kyuuchi »

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »
Guaranteed RAM:    1GB  Thats not to great, I personally have 2 gigs of gaming ram, so if i hosted a server would it be lag-free? or would it run like crap because its home ran.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
Im not going for that anymore
We([xZ]) are investing into a VPS hosting 4 servers
SPECS;

384MB Guaranteed RAM (768MB Burst)
30Gb Disk Space
600Gb Monthly Bandwidth Quota
OpenVZ Environment
UK Located
£12.00 a month (divided) by 3, = £4 each. Thus, £1 for each server.
Cant beat that dawg

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 12:38:14 PM »
Cant beat that dawg

lol, im not good with servers but 348MB sounds really bad

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
If RoBbIe would only post about stuff he has a clue about, his post count would be somewhere between 10 and 20, I think.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »
Guaranteed RAM:    1GB  Thats not to great, I personally have 2 gigs of gaming ram, so if i hosted a server would it be lag-free? or would it run like crap because its home ran.

If your so smart could you answer that please.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 12:50:09 PM »
i get a deal. 384MBx2 = 784MB
so shht.

plus, b00nlander is wayy smarter than you.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »
so shht.

plus, b00nlander is wayy smarter than you.

lol, He is way smarter, not. And just meet the needs of people that hardly/never plays this game, Your server will be only needing 1 server not 4, and 2 slots for you and idias, I dont think you will need any better then that

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 02:59:17 PM »
If your so smart could you answer that please.
your server would run like crap because it's home run. no matter how much RAM you put into your machine.

btw, the MeMi Servers had 256 MB RAM only, and were pretty stable and lag free for (almost?) anyone.  We used to have 1 pub and 3 match servers, I think.  It was a dedicated machine tho, not a VPS.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
lol, He is way smarter, not. And just meet the needs of people that hardly/never plays this game, Your server will be only needing 1 server not 4, and 2 slots for you and idias, I dont think you will need any better then that

just..go die.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
your server would run like crap because it's home run. no matter how much RAM you put into your machine.

btw, the MeMi Servers had 256 MB RAM only, and were pretty stable and lag free for (almost?) anyone.  We used to have 1 pub and 3 match servers, I think.  It was a dedicated machine tho, not a VPS.

ok, thats answers my question lol, So what would i need to make a good home ran server?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »
A really good internet connection. Everything else from an older computer should be enough.

tartjagger

• Stingray
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 05:58:07 AM »
so shht.
Come and have a look at my new server 92.48.125.144:27920 its a VPS from cheapvps.co.uk the lowest ping I've seen is 29. Memory and CPU resource are virtually irrelevant for a dedicated Linux server. My first Quake2 server was a Pentium 166 with 128k and it did the job with plenty to spare at an 8 player LAN party.