Author Topic: New Map: Airwave - Beta 1  (Read 3731 times)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
New Map: Airwave - Beta 1
« on: August 03, 2009, 02:12:10 AM »
Between working on Zenith and our entry for xMAPCOM Summer 2009, I've been trying out some visual and lighting ideas, a lot of them incorporated into this design-unique map.

For this map, you will need the CTP1 textures located here: ftp://otb-server.de/pub/CTP%20-%20Community%20Texture%20and%20Model%20Pack/CTP1-Prerelease.zip

And now, I present to you the dark and sci fi styled map to quench your thirst for Zenith - here is Airwave Beta 1.

Please scroll down to ViciouZ's second reply for the map download.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:20:08 AM by musickid999 »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: New Map: Airwave - Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:11:11 AM »
For future reference, you don't need to include the texture .wals in your zip file, but HR4 might be nice.

The lights appear mainly to be coming from entity point lights, which really confuses the lighting.

Also, your VIS is an ultimate fail:

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
I don't like the colored tile in the base floor, looks bad. Some phong shading to the pillars at the mid to make them look round. Would nice too, if you'd make a route from the glass box to mid.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »
Nicely designed, but the gameplay will be bad imo.. Even a 6 years old kid could camp up the flag.. Make more entries.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:48 AM »
I'm an epic fail with hint brushes around corners and stuff, that's what I'm working on for Beta 2.
Another route will be added for easy access between the top mid and bottom mid.
There's a total of 2 ways into the flag area. One by the main paths, and one from up top. The entrance is on the rightmost path when you are heading towards the flag.

List for Beta 2:
- VISing problems (Done)
- clip brushes
- few texture corrections and replacements
- brighter lighting (Done)
- extra paths for other access to top mid, bottom mid and bases
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:54:17 AM by musickid999 »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
Musik was having a bit of trouble coaxing his computer into doing a full VIS compile, here is an updated version of beta 1 with a full VIS: It's not greatly improved the wpoly in the middle, but the 6k poly in the base no longer occurs. You need the textures from beta 1.

http://www.viciouz.co.uk/other/rr_airwave_b1b.bsp

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:12:28 PM »
Thank you Viciouz!

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »
I like this map.  I think there should be a way to get from mid high to low, and vice versa though.  Maybe make a little hole in the glass mid high so that you can jump from one of those ramps into the high.  Or put another jump pad right in the middle of mid low, and make it shoot you straight up to mid high.  Might make the map flow a little better.  Also if there is a way to make it permanently lighter you should do that.  The map looks 100x better on gl_brightness 3

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
If you could change routes to flag from:
\ | /
 flg
into:
\     |      /
  --- fg ---
or add some backdoor behind flag (similar to waffle or some ladder up) it would be good.
I second super's idea about connecting low-high, by 2 jumppads low (left and right) and 2 holes in glass in mid, also some crouchable hole right in the middle of high.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 04:52:01 AM »
For the mid, I plan to add a circular glass tube that people seem to get sucked up (trigger_push) to allow people to get from mid low to mid high. I'm also going to cut a hole on either side of the mid high to allow passage from mid high back to mid low, as well as letting the more experienced players jump from the mid supports into the mid high.

I'd brighten the dark lighting, but I don't know the key to change the value of a light entity's brightness.
Found out with a little Googling. The lighting will be significantly brightened.

As for the area right in front of the flag/spawn area, that might be a bit more difficult. What I might do is have a bit higher path (kind of like a large balcony) right next to the original path to the flag, and continue that path (balcony) into the spawn area, halfway around the room, adding a ladder up into the upper floor.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:25:04 AM by musickid999 »

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:21:07 AM »
I'd brighten the dark lighting, but I don't know the key to change the value of a light entity's brightness.
Found out with a little Googling. The lighting will be significantly brightened.

You can press the "?" in the entity window for information :P

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:34:15 AM »
You can press the "?" in the entity window for information :P

I know, but it doesn't exactly say what I need to put into the "Key" value. But I got it now. It's "light". lol

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »
Looks good so far, nice texture choices.
Reminds me of old quake2 rail warz maps.

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 04:00:20 PM »
i like thsi map, keep up the good work

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 12:38:12 AM »
The "turn up your gamma" comment in the worldspawn concerns me.  The last thing you want to do is encourage people to turn up their gamma, as it makes the whole game look like crap.

This map really makes me think of portal.  The crates look like companion cubes. :)

The single entrance flag room looks like it will kill game play.  I would completely remove it, then put the flag about 50 feet forward where all of the paths converge.  You'll have to remove/shrink the wall there to do that, but I think it will play a lot better.

The map is up on the beta server (you have the login, right?).

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 01:33:27 AM »
So basically, here are the things I'll need to work on for Beta 2.

- fixing outrageous r_speeds and wpolys
- slightly brighter lighting
- redesign bases
- increase accessibility between high and low middle areas
- a few texture replacements

Note: I won't be doing too much work on this map. This was merely a result of one of my mapping experiments, testing ideas for new styles and texture combinations. Unless the map is extremely popular with the active playing community, I will probably have only 2 more betas before I decide to make it the final version.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 04:47:09 AM »
The single entrance flag room looks like it will kill game play.  I would completely remove it, then put the flag about 50 feet forward where all of the paths converge.  You'll have to remove/shrink the wall there to do that, but I think it will play a lot better.

There is a second entrance that leads out of the ceiling, but it's a really awkward detour from the rest of the map :(

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 07:12:20 AM »
Tried to add a "quiet" path to the flag, so the camping problem isn't as bad. You wouldn't realize someone's going to get the flag until they land on you and t-bag your head. (quite an embarrassing scene for a camper)

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 08:29:27 AM »
nice musik, but a person can just go to the top of there base and camper there and snip people as they come to get the flag, so its like a win lose.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »
Which is why I might make the floor surrounding the large doors glass, and brightening the lighting as well.