Author Topic: look of players  (Read 7398 times)

dagget

• PGP
look of players
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:35:27 PM »
With build 16 the change of the players got different. Personally i prefered, the old look, is there a way to get it back?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 04:51:21 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:41:27 AM by P!nk »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: look of players
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 04:58:31 PM »
And do a vid_restart.

By the way, what did you prefer about the old models?

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 05:04:33 PM »
for me, they look less blocky and chunky. and their movements look wierd to me, like crouching and jumping, b14 players look neater in that sense. for me anyway.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 05:48:55 PM »
I also prefer the look of and feel of the old models, but that could be down to playing with them for a while now. However, if relatively new players find the old models better then maybe you should reconsider implementing the new ones in future builds. Personally I don’t know if there’s that much more you can do visually to the game without upsetting the whole balance of the thing. Currently I believe that DP is attracting new players because of the way it plays; changing the models has clearly affected this and is gaining a somewhat negative reaction from the community (At least the people ive spoken to).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »
The old models look less blocky?!   I don't see how you can say that when they basically have boxes for feet.  The new ones have at least 5x's as many polygons.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »
I really don't get people that say that the old models are better. They claim that they're harder to see, look worse (yeah, right), and most of them have no real reason. Where is that thing where you compared the old/new models side by side, jits?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »
http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=891.0 -- thread about the development of the new model.

There's this:

But that was before it was completed.

Well, here's some comparisons between the models:

New model:
- More polygons, so it's less blocky.
- New model format, which fixes wobbly vertexes and lighting problems.
- Higher resolution textures.
- Broken into pieces, so effects can be added to specific locations (like the glossy mask).
- Fits perfectly in the bounding box, so it's easier to hit.
- Easier to enhance with things like vwep, since the weapons can be attached to the hands.
- Skeletal system will allow for future things like animation blending the ability to move individual body parts (ie: looking up with just the head and arms instead of leaning the whole model back).
- More realistic propotions.

Old model:
- Low poly, so it renders faster.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 07:51:03 PM »
jits, should i have said more chunky instead? perhaps even ugly.

i mean the actual physical appearance of the new models. personally, i prefer the "look and feel" of the old ones.

I really don't get people that say that the old models are better. They claim that they're harder to see, look worse (yeah, right), and most of them have no real reason. Where is that thing where you compared the old/new models side by side, jits?

the real reason IS that they look worse. when these are what you are aiming at, teh look of them is a very important aspect

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »
Chunky as in fat?  The old models were fatter... What part of the new models do you find ugly?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 08:52:17 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:41:24 AM by P!nk »

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 01:25:48 AM »
I think the real disadvantage of the new models is movement. I have been using them for a while now, so I am used to their looks (and I dont think the old models look better...), but the movement really is ugly. When they crouch, when they jump, when they die, thats where I liked the old models better.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
Its either that what b00n just said or the fact that they look like they are fat and have too less muscles (in nearly all sports muscles are needed).  --> maybe change the look of the torso? How would a broader chest be fitting then?

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 09:04:59 AM »
thats what i've been trying to say. they look fat, chunky

The old models were fatter...

it dosen't look like it.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 10:14:25 AM »
Haha, that new models a proper wide boy. I agree with b00nlander, the way they move, jump, die etc, is horrible. I understand that youre going to argue your point, but in terms of the advantages you put for the new models against the old models, none of them benefit the players, i dont really care how easy it is to add vweps or how blocky it is. Its become part of the game we know and love. If im not mistaken the new models have the same hit boxes, so theyre not easier to hit at all. I dont know what it is, i just prefer the old models because of the way it makes the game play, the new ones seem to take some of the fun out of it for me.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 02:21:21 PM »
They're easier to hit because you know what to shoot at.  The old models were off-center, meaning you had to aim a little more to the left (or right - I can't remember), and when they were jumping, almost 50% stuck outside of the bounding box, same with crouching, so you'd shoot at somebody's head/chest and shoot right through them.  I can personally play much better with the new models.

When the standalone came out, people hated what's now the old paintball player model, so I figured a lot of people would be glad to be rid of it and have something that actually fits in the bounding boxes.  I can understand the animation complaints, but I feel a lot of the other stuff is just resistance to change.  In any case, I encourage you all to become more involved in the development discussions here.  How many of you provided feedback when the model was in development?

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 03:13:47 PM »
i don't think its so much resistance to change at all, i really think that this is all down to the fact that the player models just don't look very nice.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 09:03:46 AM »
Its abit like the 'new coke' disaster, they got a sample of opinions which they thought represented everyone, they thought new coke was this great idea, then when they released it the consumers were in absolute uproar because they didnt like the new look or the new taste. Coke ended up losing millions of $ yadda yadda yadda yadda...

My point is, just because somethings old doesnt mean its not good, thinking that people are just resisting chnage might give you a narrow focus on what the players want, and just because people dont show their opinion doesnt mean they dont have one.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 09:34:10 AM »
The difference with that is that the people who didn't like it didn't have a say in the development. Everyone here did. But no one took advantage of it, and now they're complaining that they don't like the thing they wouldn't help build...

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 09:45:16 AM »
wouldn't help build... are not able to help building? like, how many people in the community do you expect to know about creating those movements, 3d-modeling etc? I guess there should've been some kind of introduction of the new model's features to the community, which would've provided you with feedback then. Only posting some screenshots can't make people get involved into development if they don't know anything about the processes.