Author Topic: Super's server-ping jump anyone?  (Read 9316 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Super's server-ping jump anyone?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »
*cough*Australiaisabetterexample*cough*

250 :)

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 09:01:45 PM »

LOL. Well, I'll be in Japan in a bit, so I'll see how the ping is from there. Maybe I'll be able to find a server under 300 ping!

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »
LOL. Well, I'll be in Japan in a bit, so I'll see how the ping is from there. Maybe I'll be able to find a server under 300 ping!
Japan, you'll get around 200-250ish.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »
Guess I'll be shooting walls and barrels more than people. Ah well, the barrels give off a nice, satisfying sound when shot anyway. Maybe I could make a dragon dance song. (Sorry for going so off-topic btw)

fasian

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 01:59:29 AM »
Try playing on Super's server in China. Then you'll realize a ping of 100-200 works like a dream.

300 :)

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
I can't believe you won't play on it because it has a ping above 100.  Thats not something to be complaining about.  You should be complaining about something above 250-300ish, not 100.

I have told you before, I don't care about your high ping. If you are happy playing with it, great. I am not happy playing above 100 and I won't do it on a regular basis.  

I just play on other servers, play other games or rent my own server.

In this case I have elected not to play on super's server. I hope he can resolve it because I like the server otherwise. But if not, oh well.

I am working on the notion that he is paying for support as well as hosting and that he might be concerned with a number of people's pings rising.  While I was with that company they were quick to resolve any problems I had with the service when I asked.

He can decide what to do with the information.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »
Starz match is the only other one at the moment m7.  + The fact that you and Atmays were lagging doesn't mean anything is wrong with the server at all, unless each players ping in the server was high at the time I don't see how it could be the server.  Maybe your routing has changed.

Try
Code: [Select]
pathping 76.74.139.4  in your command prompt.  Its possible one of the routers along the route your packets is taking is messing up.  Other than that I don't know what it could be.  I have never lagged in my server once.  It's not the server.

Hope to see you back playing again soon =)

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 12:15:11 AM »
Starz match is the only other one at the moment m7.  + The fact that you and Atmays were lagging doesn't mean anything is wrong with the server at all, unless each players ping in the server was high at the time I don't see how it could be the server.  Maybe your routing has changed.

Try
Code: [Select]
pathping 76.74.139.4  in your command prompt.  Its possible one of the routers along the route your packets is taking is messing up.  Other than that I don't know what it could be.  I have never lagged in my server once.  It's not the server.

Hope to see you back playing again soon =)
Yes, it likely is the routing changing. It appears to have impacted several players.

The Starz server also pings higher now.

Oh well, I will either play on some other server or move on. I have been playing more UT lately.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
Without seeing the traceroute there isn't much "support" can do about it. Usually when troubleshooting latency issues (increases in ping or packetloss), the network engineers will need to see complete traceroutes to and from the server for multiple affected clients. Depending on how much the server host's network support team is willing to help and how the datacenter is peered, it's possible to hard route certain addresses to a better network.

eMo

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 07:09:37 PM »
my pings actually dropped down to 39 from 50's

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 11:03:44 PM »
It appears I am being routed from the midwest, to San Jose, and back up to Toronto.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 04:16:14 AM »
Yet again Cameron whining about his ping :P

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 05:43:19 AM »
Yet again Cameron whining about his ping :P
Duh.  I just hate it soooooo much when people whine about ping increasing just that 10-30ms and just wont play because of it.  Not that attitude to game.  m7, if you experienced it over here, then you wouldn't care, but don't go from your perspective, don't be someone that thinks about themselves.  Think about the conditions that other people must play in before you go whining about a ping increase.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 02:41:51 PM »
+30-80ms (in m7's case) and even +10-30ms is a legitimate complaint. Routes should only be getting better; not worse. People playing on servers not hosted in their own country/continent are like the new-age of dial-up players that we used to have before this game went global. It sucks playing with >100 ping, but it's possible and some players can adapt really well to it. If you choose to play with a less than ideal ping, don't get sour when other people legitimately complain that their latency has increased 50% and please don't constantly say "lag" or blame every death/loss on a crappy ping.

Back in the day an australian ISP hosted a couple PB2 servers, that was way before the first european one ever popped up.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
My ISP could not help as the routing problem is outside of their network, or at least that is what the level 3 tech said after having two other techs tell me to power cycle the modem and
Without seeing the traceroute there isn't much "support" can do about it. Usually when troubleshooting latency issues (increases in ping or packetloss), the network engineers will need to see complete traceroutes to and from the server for multiple affected clients. Depending on how much the server host's network support team is willing to help and how the datacenter is peered, it's possible to hard route certain addresses to a better network.

I confess I don't understand how it works. How much can the following make a difference for various hops along the route?

a. extremecybergames (host)
b. isp
c. others?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
m7:

do a pathping at the command prompt to the server and post what your results are.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 07:18:19 PM »
Right now it is running normal again...just happened.

Instead of routing from Chicago and then to San Jose it is now going from Chicago to NY, and is faster.

Not sure why it changed.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 12:41:50 AM »
My ping has gone down from the average 130-140
to an awesome 110