Author Topic: New map - Alpha  (Read 5630 times)

abnormal

• Autococker
New map - Alpha
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »
Hi,
I just completed map which I've been working for long time on. It was because I didn't know what to add in mids.

So here we go. Map's name is Alpha - they 2nd thing I didn't know for a long time. My goal was to make some old-fashioned map with easy routes and hopefuly good gameplay. It has 1 flag per base and few routes. I'd compare it to razzle in the routes case.
It's a bit futuristic map. Probably on moon or so..
I'd also like to say thanks to JeeJee. He helped me with lighting in base.
Probably the mid low can be a bit weird. I made it quickly.. Really didn't know what to add there.

Ok that's all, have fun and write some opinions :).

Santader

• VM-68
Re: New map - Alpha
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »
Looks nice,
but its too small imo, maybe good for 2v2

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »
Yes, good to mention.. I forgot it. This map will fit good for 3s I think.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:59:33 AM »
A cross between discovery, razzle and another map that I can't remember. looks ok ;]

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
the dotted metal isnt a good repetition texture i'd use something else to blend with it.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:41:29 AM »
the dotted metal isnt a good repetition texture i'd use something else to blend with it.
Well I used the same textures as in discovery cause I find that exactly what I do need, so I wouldn't change this.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »
Some more ideas?

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
forgot to modify my post--- whoopsey

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:50:24 PM »
screen1 the box is too small

screen2 i would make the texture going up and down rock dirt cant settel at a 90 degree angle by itself

also i think the paths are wayyy to narrow and maybe you could add in another path?

JUICEY

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »
wow this map looks excellent good work abnormal =)

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 06:17:43 AM »
screen1 the box is too small
yea I know, but u can grab that gun though.. I wanted it to be like that.
screen2 i would make the texture going up and down rock dirt cant settel at a 90 degree angle by itself

also i think the paths are wayyy to narrow and maybe you could add in another path?
Don't know what you exactly mean, but maybe I could add a texture I use for vertical stuff..

I also thought about some more ways and I found some which could be possible, but I don't want it to look like insight_b3 which has millions of ways and is very hard to play then..

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 01:04:38 PM »
well right now there are only like 3 ways just make a path that go outs from the main path that connects to it later so same number of paths to base and less meetings mid

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 07:54:08 PM »
The inside could look a LOT more futuristic with the right texture choices.

You could make it look more like a moon base by using this texture somewhere.

JUICEY

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
The inside could look a LOT more futuristic with the right texture choices.

You could make it look more like a moon base by using this texture somewhere.
lol it looks good how it is but adding those textures would not change much

JUICEY

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
on some pictures the walls and the ground look exactly the same color if i were you i would change the colors of the walls to maybe a bit more darker color

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 08:27:04 AM »
yea, I need to select some different one to walls..

I've already tried that moon-surface texture in mid high, but it looks really wierd.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 08:41:07 AM »
Use some triangle excrement for terrain and walls, small areas like that look extremely boxy. Also bottom texture for barrels (robin's 2nd sshot)

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 12:41:20 AM »
Ok, thought after running around in it:

-The entity lights look weird without source (see attached sshot), the light just comes like from nowhere. I'd suggest you to use torches/lanterns in the caves, they give nice feeling. (Take a look at anubis or forgotten_caverns for reference. Both maps have torches)
-Use dynamic light in the low area to imitate broken light (See coi for reference)
-Use vertex manipulation/planes for terrain and walls to make it more realistic
-Detail!! Think something cool, because i can't think anything at the moment.
-2nd sshot, this box is really annoying. When you try to jump from the barrel belove to here, you can hit the edge of this box and you fall. That's extremely annoying. Also the other edge is inside a wall.
-3rd sshot, the box is misaligned.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 04:15:05 AM »
Still think you could put a little more work into the base areas to make them look more sci fi.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 07:19:04 AM »
Ok, thought after running around in it:

-The entity lights look weird without source (see attached sshot), the light just comes like from nowhere. I'd suggest you to use torches/lanterns in the caves, they give nice feeling. (Take a look at anubis or forgotten_caverns for reference. Both maps have torches)
-Use dynamic light in the low area to imitate broken light (See coi for reference)
-Use vertex manipulation/planes for terrain and walls to make it more realistic
-Detail!! Think something cool, because i can't think anything at the moment.
-2nd sshot, this box is really annoying. When you try to jump from the barrel belove to here, you can hit the edge of this box and you fall. That's extremely annoying. Also the other edge is inside a wall.
-3rd sshot, the box is misaligned.
Ok, thanks jeejee and others for your attitudes.

Well for these lighting problems:
I'll add some dynamic lights in the low route. But I'm not pretty sure about adding some torches/sources of light, cause when you're passing these strait ways you could easily hit it and it will extremely slow you down in these not speedy routes - can cause capping on you.

In the 2nd case about that box.. I added it purposely cause it could be too easy to jump there then. I didn't want to make all routes that easy to reach.

Anyway I still have no idea how should the base look like or which textures should I use.
Now I'll have to wait with this one and insight, cause I have not much time to complete the xmapcom map and I'd like to finish that entry. But you can still post your attitutudes though.