Author Topic: Explorer stopped working is getting old.  (Read 6010 times)

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Explorer stopped working is getting old.
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:58:04 PM »
Why is it that this is the only game that crashes on my new pc? It only happens in certain servers too. Take super's pub for instance. It crashes there about 1000 times in a night. His jump server never makes it crash. Maybe it isn't just ati cards like you suspect. Shouldn't this be a very real issue that should be a priority to be resolved? Why does this happen? Fix it.

Spook

• Autococker
Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:32:37 PM »
Lol, DP was the only game to crash on my super computer too. There's something wrong but I don't play enough to care.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:38:17 AM »
If the jump server doesn't lag that must mean its something in the newer build.  Since the jump servers still have to be build 21 to work.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:59:08 AM »
when you say "crash", what actually happens. video freezes, game is shutdown, etc.

have you tried playing with the card settings to make it better. i had to play with nvidias control panel to find the one combination of settings that would keep dp from freezing. couldnt even find related info on the net, so it was probably game/hardware specific

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:10:51 PM »
Paintball2 is making explorer crash?  Is this only on Vista?  I've never had this happen on XP.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »
It works fine for me on Vista and Win7. Is there a way to reproduce it? How long can u play before it crashes?

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:36:09 PM »
It is random but happens normally when I try to type something. Typing isn't the cause all the time though, maybe 2 outta 5 times. It happens so much and so randomly I have moved on and started playing modern warfare 2 because this is so annoying. I have tried everything from different drivers, settings, and going as far as trying my keyboard and mouse on a different pc to make sure it wasn't them crashing it. I check all 8 gigabytes of memory and still can't figure it out. Until this gets fixed I'll only pub once or twice a month. Maybe I'll buy another new pc next decade and paintball will still be around so I can play.

cap0ne

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:05:32 AM »
ima post here severally reasons why you pc crash on 1st start
1. Try to re-open it
2. You have no Open-GL  ( Nvidia driver )
3. You may have severally things open ( so it crashes )
4. You have opened pball, put some option and it crashed why? if you turn chose options off it may crash( dont kno which )
5. My last 1 is : You have the oldest version of pball then

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
ima post here severally reasons why you pc crash on 1st start
1. Try to re-open it
2. You have no Open-GL  ( Nvidia driver )
3. You may have severally things open ( so it crashes )
4. You have opened pball, put some option and it crashed why? if you turn chose options off it may crash( dont kno which )
5. My last 1 is : You have the oldest version of pball then

I run the latest version of pball as soon as I see an update has been released. My pc can handle just about anything the average person throws at it. I can run all the apps I want and it never affects any other game I play. My pc doesn't crash, just the game. 

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »
have you looked at dr.watson or "performance logs" or whatever the hell microsoft is calling there logger now/

doesnt sound like this will pinpoint whats happening to you, but probably cant hurt either.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »
You could try setting your maxfps, or maybe gl_swapinterval 1 so you aren't rendering as many frames as your computer can handle.  Maybe it's overheating.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »
Wish that was the case. I'll give it a shot and see what happens, but would pball be more taxing than something such as halo 2 with high graphics settings? I have tried limiting my maxfps quite a few times even dropping them down to 30 to no effect. It just makes the game seem jumpy and it still stops working. I'll try the gl_swapinterval 1 either tonight or tomorrow and post the results.

My pc runs internally at about 26 degrees Celsius with a liquid cooled processor running somewhere near the same mark. My graphics card doesn't budge much unless I'm playing some stupid game on pretty rough settings. 1gb ddr5 card.   

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
So it's actually crashing explorer.exe?  What, exactly, happens when it crashes?

Do you have 3D sound enabled?  If you have a Creative sound card, it could potentially crash your system (they have crappy drivers).

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
Let me boot it up tonight play a little and take a screenshot for you.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »
Sounds like pb2 is 'crossing wires' with another running process and it's causing a crash.

Could you check your event log and paste it from one or two of the explorer crashes? It could help explain exactly what causes it to crash. Or see if pb2 is doing anything funky.

(to pull up event logs go to 'Run' and type 'eventvwr')

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »
I gave up and purchased windows 7 in hopes that none of the vista issues carry over to it. Installing now and hope to have DP up and running smoothly so I can play every day again.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »
I gave up and purchased windows 7

Why would you buy it? You could have asked around to see if anyone could have given it to you. Tinman gave me a retail CD key that is legit, and can be used multiple times, could have saved you (200?) some money.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 11:58:39 PM »

:)

Still crashes though. Now it freezes then causes a physical memory dump which crashes the computer.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 12:46:43 AM »
All you need is someone who's a college student and you can get it for $65... But free is good too, I'm still looking for another copy for my laptop.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 01:40:35 AM »
not trying to sound like i know anything, but instinctively it seems like hardware/hardware setup incompatibility. have you tried changing the "compatibility mode" of the pb2 process? turn off visual effects etc. also maybe try running off the mb's video chip, or anything else that could eliminate variables.