Author Topic: XP problem.  (Read 3040 times)

JiGSaW

• Autococker
XP problem.
« on: October 25, 2009, 08:46:56 AM »
Alright so I just reinstalled xp, and my boot screen comes up fine, but instead of the login screen with my user picture and whatnot, it says my computer is locked and a little menu comes up and I have to put my name in and type in a password, kind of like the school computers when I was in school.  I don't know how to get my old login screen back and any help would be appreciated.  Would have just searched google for an answer but I can't find the right thing i'm looking for.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: XP problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:52:14 AM »
Looks like your pc went into standby.  Just press the power button til it shuts off then start it back up.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:49:55 AM »
Something about domain login. Did you see a screen that may have something along the lines of "do you wish to add your computer to an existing domain" or something? You may have accidently clicked yes, if so.

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »
No, when I shut my computer down and it reboots, I see the boot screen, then it goes straight to that screen.  Every single time, it was fine before, now I don't know what's wrong.

Nothing ever popped up, it just started randomly doing this.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »
Control Panels > User Accounts > 'Change the way users log on or off' > 'Use the Welcome Screen'

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »
Sounds like you're stuck trying to authenticate to a Windows domain instead of the local accounts. From the login screen, see if there is a Log on to: dropdown (it may be hidden by the Options button), in there there should be an option called: XXXXXXX (this computer). Select that one and try the user Administrator. If you created a password during install use that, if not try it with a blank password.

If that lets you into the Administrator account, you can switch your computer from Domain to WORKGROUP:
- Right click on My Computer, click Properties
- Click Computer Name tab, then the Change... button at the bottom.
- Switch the Member of selection to workgroup and if you don't use one already on your LAN just call it WORKGROUP or MSHOME
- Reboot and there should be a normal login prompt..

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »
It is set as WORKGROUP.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »
Control Panels > User Accounts > 'Change the way users log on or off' > 'Use the Welcome Screen'
Did you try that?
1. Go to Control Panel
2. Go to User Accounts
3. Click "Change the way users log on or off"
4. Checkbox the "Use Welcome Screen"

I think that your problem is more simple than most people have been thinking :P  Just like when a girl in the office was having problems not being able to select single characters in Word today.

edit: If it doesn't work then just give this d/l a try: http://www.brothersoft.com/fix-win-xp-logon-210425.html

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 08:34:29 AM »
You guys don't seem to be getting what i'm saying.

I didn't install it wrong, it was showing the welcome screen.

Everything is checked, everything is set, it still won't come up.

Still says it's locked.

Installed that thing, and it comes up with a window that has repair and exit, repair is faded out and I can't click it, and it says gina is in use.

DLL in use: MSGINA.DLL

No idea.

I just don't see how it could work 2 or 3 times then just stop.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »
Final solution: fresh OS install.  :/

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 05:27:28 PM »

I just don't see how it could work 2 or 3 times then just stop.

That's what she said.