Author Topic: Activity of DigitalPaintball.  (Read 23809 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Activity of DigitalPaintball.
« on: November 06, 2009, 08:33:54 PM »
Whoever thinks the dp2 match OR pubscene is active, is stupid. I made a thread listing the active clans, that's how little we have. If I remade that thread, it'd be smaller. Quick list of active american teams: Dj, Meth, vF, 3iob. Euro: kuc, dark, fwe, qehs, eX.

-Most of those teams can only do 2's. Or 3's the odd time. Anyone who thinks that is alot of teams isn't the smartest one out there.

Alot of people used to say: ohhh it always gets inactive then active again. But even older players have been saying this game is dead.

So what can happen to keep it alive? Accounts get made very often, but people don't stay. Some people might pop in a couple times a month on OTB speed. But even superman's pub; really the only american pub, has barely had people in it recently.

How can we retain people into the game? Get them on mIRC? Please suggest, hopefully jitspoe reads this and can help improve the activity.

My suggestions:
- Make a Standard Hr4 pack, which automatically overwrites peoples in the upcoming updates. So when peolpe download the game they see nice textures, but spend time on them so they are actually really nice and realistic.
-Have a little jumping/aiming tutorial option when you download the game, so people understand theres jumping and the balls drop.
-Have a mIRC download with the dplogin download, already configured to Globalgamers. If that's possible.

So, that's just my ideas. I'm sure others have some. But this game is extremely inactive, and unless something is done wont last. Sure tournaments are happening, but it's the same teams joining the tournaments. It's the same players playing. We have 4 NA matchservers, which are never full.

Edit: SnoopDog123: They hacked and got banned. Not exactly who we should be bringing back. Specially the ones who are on their 2nd+ offence. Maybe if it's 1st offence you could have a slight arguement.
Charged: Yeah this game used to be alot more active when I started. It just keeps losing people as they get older, and isn't getting any new people filling spots.

If you're going to reply, post constructive so this thread goes somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:55:32 PM by MyeRs »

Snoopdog123(CheMiCaL)

• Stingray
Re: Activity of DigitalPaintball.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »
i agree, i think that all the people that have been banned should have a 2nd chance. its really hard to find a good 3v3 when everyone that was constantly active is either banned or quit because of the inactivity.

Charg3D

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »
when i started playing this game about 2 years ago it was a fun game to play. And now people r becoming inactive, and the there is no one els that is new coming to this game. Witch means there will be no new clans  :'(. So i agree on the tutorial, and the nice looking textures being added. And if there are nice new textures that make the game a little more real maybe even people who went inactive will start playing again.  :)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:01:47 PM »
Maybe it's the poor attitude of people playing this game.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »
Agreed.  I went into a pub under the name 'newbie' for the hell of it the other day while I was talking to Rick, and I would get in the way occasionally, and get absolutely flamed at.  I'm not going to say names, but those 2 are a perfect example of what drives new players away.  Grow up, all of you.  If your attitude remains excrement, you make this community excrement.  I hope you know that.

battle

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »
Agreed.  I went into a pub under the name 'newbie' for the hell of it the other day while I was talking to Rick, and I would get in the way occasionally, and get absolutely flamed at.  I'm not going to say names, but those 2 are a perfect example of what drives new players away.  Grow up, all of you.  If your attitude remains excrement, you make this community excrement.  I hope you know that.

I try to be nice to the newbies if that helps at all. :] *thinks about playing more*

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 01:22:14 AM »

Agreed.  I went into a pub under the name 'newbie' for the hell of it the other day while I was talking to Rick, and I would get in the way occasionally, and get absolutely flamed at.  I'm not going to say names, but those 2 are a perfect example of what drives new players away.  Grow up, all of you.  If your attitude remains excrement, you make this community excrement.  I hope you know that.

Just this is driving new players away from this game. When i played a scrim with my friend, it was his first one and he failed miserably, our opponents just spammed: Lol your mate is a noob. Really mature :]

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 01:56:10 AM »
I agree with the auto-hr4-textures download and with the jumping tutorial - this tutorial is also used in quakelive, and boom, look how many people do play this, even when it's so fking old game (Q3A - 10 years old).

It could be also nice to make an ingame dplogin registration, cause when I started to play it was really annoying that I couldn't join nearly any server.. It would be nice make this game more "comfortable" if you know what I mean.

About the bans.. Well maybe when it was first offence they could get some new chance..

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 02:13:25 AM »
Warsow has also some tutorial for bunnyhopping etc. Maybe it could be done like in warsow?

@abnormal, wasn't there some talking about the in-game registration? I'll try to find the thread.

Edit: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=13864.0

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 03:38:58 AM »
My suggestion is to standardise pubs - make some for newbies ONLY, and some for more experienced players. Nothing drives me away as much as having 3 newbies in team on propaint1 - it is really no fun to watch them get lost in low. If there were pubs where only newbies can play, with maps for newbies (that is small and easy, say indune or ub_cliff) and 30s rev time, they could have more chance to actually play. Furthermore, more experienced players wouldn't have to be bothered by the fact they are being blocked, for example.
Tutorial would be great to have. But not about how to bunnyhop or strafe - about how to play. Things like 'throw grenade by pressing G key', 'don't smoke your own base for no reason' or 'remember that flag is worth more than your miserable life' is what I propose to teach newbies how to play. As a community, we could do something like dpvid (old Vic's idea, was pita for him to get through all the demos) to show new players how dynamic and intense this game can be if you move around.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:33 AM »
Nice idea x')

Santader

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 07:10:04 AM »
good idea, if u dont want dead game u should do it ;)

f3l1x

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 08:21:27 AM »
I propose jumping tutorial based on flash movie, there will be shown jumps on some maps(pp1, airtime, shzms, shock, pbcups, most played) and some tricks how do that, example: arrow left + space + arrow up + mouse turn or idk how..what ever... 2nd tip, some1 could make  jump-map on tests jumping ability - 10lvl - easy -> hard - + each level will have own flash video "know how" .. And this map will be in "playing tutorial" ..

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »
Warsow has also some tutorial for bunnyhopping etc. Maybe it could be done like in warsow?

@abnormal, wasn't there some talking about the in-game registration? I'll try to find the thread.

Edit: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=13864.0

Also, having a tutorial, make it an option on the start up screen. People may of had to redownload the game, and then they might be forced to use the tutorial. Even when they know how...

It could be on the main menu "PLAY, SETUP, TUTORIAL, QUIT" Then when they click on a tutorial, sub-tutorials appear and once selected, a demo is played. Also, giving them a chance to do it themself... What about when they click Tutorial they go to a private tutorial server setup... Could be a nice idea... (allow_tutorial 1) ??

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 08:46:22 AM »
Gamabunta: I was thinking if my team gets our servers up, we could make a server kinda like what syncmasters cable was. That server just played ub_cliff non-stop 5 second revive. That server was the only reason I kept playing. Then I started joining 'pub team' and spamming for matches in pubs. But that server was the reason this game was fun. So we'd have an american speed, but only if our servers work.

Keep the idea's. Please don't post: Good ideas! and stuff like that. Actually post an arguement or an idea.

Cameron: Every game has its retards, just this game is soo small you see our retards on a daily basis :) But you wont get that to stop, although it's only certain players who do it nonstop in pubs. But anyways, I bet most people would say the same names about who needs to grow up. That's just one area that can't be changed by us or jitspoe.

So all we can do is argue and say ideas. Some of which very good and helpfull. We just need Jitspoe to see this and do something about it. And by do something I don't mean a feature vote on one way to get players, the game will be dead by the time a feature vote happens.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
mIRC is not IRC !!! I hate this program and i don't want download it with a new client. There are enough other IRC clients, so everyone should use the one which he prefers.
Btn: I don't think, that it will be more active ingame, if we have 500 idle players in IRC... IRC becomes overrated.

This (http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10186) could bring us a little information, what the game needs. U play the game, so u think completely different than other players which leave.

@ all:
...if u dont want dead game u should do it
Yes ! Do it and don't wait until someone else will make it. There are so many players who want something new into the game, but only 2-3 people who make it. Sometimes.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 09:52:53 AM »
T3RR0R15T: If they get on IRC then, or whatever client for it then it's easier for people to help them out. It can help newer players get into the clanscene faster. We have on average 20-30 people in top idled channels.

I tried to bring in new players, I got about 5 URT players to try paintball; but they left after seeing the textures.

Theres nothing some players can do to help this game. We don't want something new, we just don't want the game dead. Our way of helping is suggesting ideas on how to improve the game. We're just players in the game, trying to offer up suggestions that could be done to make it more active. I'm sure people could make a tutorial, but in the end would it get used? Why spend time on it for jitspoe to say no? That's why we're throwing out ideas and hoping jitspoe see's them. Then I'm sure once we know what is usefull people would help do them.

Question: The thread about the interpolated hitboxes... Why was that a feature vote? Wouldn't that just be a way to upgrade the game? Making the hitboxes normal so people don't have paintballs going threw them? I've never noticed a feature vote actually happen since I started. Although I'm a newer player, just pointing that out. Looking at the feature vote page, I see one thats: 222 votes for, and 9 against. Yet it's still a feature vote? But that's another note, I just find that if interpolated hitboxes makes it so people can't sit in lines then it's improving the game and should be done instantly and not voted upon. I could be missing something so correct it if i'm wrong.

Santader

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
I tried to bring in new players, I got about 5 URT players to try paintball; but they left after seeing the textures.
same problem

we need more languages in forum or in dplogin, becouse 90% new players are very young and they dont know english or german. So I think we have to do tutorials in the most used languages in game and its English, German, French, Czech and Polish

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »
same problem

we need more languages in forum or in dplogin, becouse 90% new players are very young and they dont know english or german. So I think we have to do tutorials in the most used languages in game and its English, German, French, Czech and Polish

Are you really sure that nowadays are people who can't understand English? - You don't need some advanced level of english to register and activate your account..

Santader

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
Are you really sure that nowadays are people who can't understand English? - You don't need some advanced level of english to register and activate your account..
yes Im sure, and its not about reg account but about tutorial :) they will stay newbies and they will stop with game