Author Topic: DPlogin  (Read 4597 times)

Rewind

• VM-68
DPlogin
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:12:08 PM »
We've had dplogin for a rather long time now, and although it does it's job very well, some players (myself being one of them) have begun wondering what exactly the point of it is.

More specifically, certain aspects of the system that appear to have little to no purpose.

Why exactly is multi accounting considered such a terrible offense? Before dplogin, people went about with millions of names in millions of clans, and as I remember, it went rather smoothly.

I can understand if the idea behind dplogin is having each name designated to ONE player, and only that player, but doesn't this pose yet another problem? Especially in a game that doesnt have a massive community, people shouldnt have to run into a problem where their name is taken. For veterans coming back, they may find someone stole their name who has never even played the game. If we were playing some critcally acclaimed game owned by millions, the chances of getting any name without numbers is fairly low, and that's understandable. However, we're playing a game where there's basically no chance of running into a server where someone has/wants the same name as you. Even if someone used the same name, that doesnt mean they ARE you, they can attempt to impersonate all they want, it's not accomplishing anything.

The second point I'd like to make is multiclanning. I'm not entirely in favour of implementing a 'multiclanning' system, but I don't see why it should be shunned. It pretty much makes the game look more active, lets newbies do as they please in whatever clans they want. Before dplogin, it wasn't a real problem in the first place, people were aware it was going on and didn't really mind.

And my last point is the hassle it causes to new players. Especially if you just want to try the game out, going into a server only to get kicked because you havent registered an account isn't exactly going to create interest in the new players.

I apologize if this comes off as aggresive, I'm merely stating the point of many members of the community, and hoping to get some intellectual responses.

MyeRs

• Autococker
Re: DPlogin
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »
Removing dplogin would get you the problem of name spoofing. But is that truly a big problem? I wouldn't care if somebody wants to pub with my name. In a match most teams use voice recon, and you get info over IRC. So in matches you'd know who you're playing with. People can fake clans and stuff, but was it that much of a problem before dplogin?

-This could also make the clanscene 'seem' more active. As people would probably have multiple names under different clans. Which why is that bad? This game isn't that active, maybe this is a way to make it seem active.

- newbies don't take the time to register an account and probably don't realize that you can click cancel and play.

-This would also save the times jitspoe gets pm'd about clantags + names and whatever else. Or all those cases of not being able to get their accounts activated.

- Multiple accounts are also one of the things that are hard for the committee to figure out, so this would save their time on this issue so they could worry about watching demo's on suspected hackers. Cause honestly, it takes months after being reported for stuff to get banned. This idea would cut it down alot.

ALTHOUGH, there are plenty of downsides. It's nice to be able to search who people are, or search clans to see who's truly in it. So I see both the positive and negative effects of this idea. At the games current activity, this would be a way to make it seem and maybe get more active.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
DPLogin was implemented because a ton of people wanted it and voted for it when Jits made a feature vote forum post, due to people stealing the names of others and impersonating clans, also because it allowed a regulated system.

So what are your alternative suggestions? Just remove it completely?

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:29:01 PM »
Well I assume rewind is suggesting remove it completely. But a few alternatives could be [fixing some of the problems]:
-Clans/tags are removed from database once 0 people are in it. Or a week after having 0 people in it. No point holding tags once the clans dead. If it's a good clan, don't let it die.
-Change the starting menu to have a 'Just Play' instead of 'Cancel' or something. So newer players notice it and can join servers without registering accounts.
-Being able to register accounts ingame.
-As I stated in another thread, refresh dplogin then start with little new features like clans removing from the database once 0 people in it.

Those are just the idea's I could think of quickly, i'll add more if I can think of some. But plenty of ideas have been going around in multiple threads, it's just a matter of getting some of them done :/

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:46:56 PM »
Have an account name instead of registered names. Let anyone use any name, but restrict the account name to the user. This way you could see who is in which clans. Scrap the idea of registering names, and just let people use whatever name they choose to.

This will allow new players to create clans without using dplogin, etc. HOWEVER; keep the clan registering portion of dplogin, so people can see some sort of roster.

My ideas sounded way clearer in my head, so... sorry if they don't make sense.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »
Have an account name instead of registered names. Let anyone use any name, but restrict the account name to the user. This way you could see who is in which clans. Scrap the idea of registering names, and just let people use whatever name they choose to.

This will allow new players to create clans without using dplogin, etc. HOWEVER; keep the clan registering portion of dplogin, so people can see some sort of roster.

My ideas sounded way clearer in my head, so... sorry if they don't make sense.
We already get to have 10 names, and can change them... How many more names changing do you want? Why are people afraid to use a single name or 2, and try to hide their identity? Down with individualism and vote for forced sv_login 2 !!!

sean123

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »
We already get to have 10 names, and can change them... How many more names changing do you want? Why are people afraid to use a single name or 2, and try to hide their identity? Down with individualism and vote for forced sv_login 2 !!!

Yea Like you should only be able to pick 2 names bereal and use an name people know you by. like the noobs use funky names and change them all the time (No offence noobs)

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:16:23 AM »
 Hello guys!

Yeah, spoofing names isnt a problem, because really, why would u give a intercourse? And on rare cases (like tournaments) you can always compare IPs and excrement. Lies have short legs.

This was not the idea of dplogin. I believe. Dplogin is just a unfinished site, with a excrementload amount of potential. You can use that for statistics, you can use that for running tournaments/leagues.

We just need more features added to dpl, then it doesn't look useless.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 05:31:36 AM »
Well yea, namespoofing inst a big problem, but when I'd like to play against for example dark and I'll see 3 people from kuc there I wouldn't be much satisfied. I think that Dplogin is great thing and I'd let it how it is.

Maybe I'd vote +1 for some features that myers has mentioned.
-Clans/tags are removed from database once 0 people are in it. Or a week after having 0 people in it. No point holding tags once the clans dead. If it's a good clan, don't let it die.

-Change the starting menu to have a 'Just Play' instead of 'Cancel' or something. So newer players notice it and can join servers without registering accounts.

-Being able to register accounts ingame.

-As I stated in another thread, refresh dplogin then start with little new features like clans removing from the database once 0 people in it.

These all are great ideas.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:47:51 PM by Dirty_Taco »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 10:02:16 PM »
Note that all the kids in talking in this thread probably haven't had their names spoofed at all.

Almost every member of eR33t has had this happen... we've even had entire clans made to spoof our clan/names.

It gets old after awhile.
True, plus the fact that if they were "Spoofed," it's because their names are simple every day words.

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:59:38 AM »
Login system serves its purpose. No double clanning, no name spoofing. It seems like every thread lately is about how one thing or another is killing dp2. Personally this topic comes in pretty much dead last in importance for the game's health/survival. There are so many more important things for Jitspoe to spend his time on than this.

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is the only Standalone Quake mod still running that has a login system... I don't see ANY name spoofing on other games nor do i see clan spoofing... If someone misbehaves in any way, the server admin (Usually a clan member) just kickbans them for 15 mins... nothing more and it works.
They do the same with hackers.
The login system has caused a lot of headaches and has taken away a lot of time which could be spent on more important matters like getting new players into the game and keeping them here.
I personally noticed that the people in DP are different than in other games... I noticed that a lot of younger players wanting to be the best above all others will do whatever they can to win as well as throw out some horrible trash talk which is pretty pathetic in most cases.
In other games they seem to be more mature and respect their fellow gamemates, they don't spoof each other names or wear a clans tag which aren't theirs...
They relax and play... They don't try their little hearts out and then when they are losing say they forfeit for some stupid reason which makes no sense at all.
In conclusion I think we should work out some way to live without DP login... Multi clanning is a bad idea...
Make up your mind, the clan you are in shouldn't be because such and such player is better than this player...
It should be made up of people you enjoy playing with, people you can just relax on vent and say "nice try bro"
Instead of "WHAT THE #^$% IS YOUR PROBLEM?!?!? I RECONED WHERE HE WAS! YOU SUCK"

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
The login system has caused a lot of headaches and has taken away a lot of time which could be spent on more important matters like getting new players into the game and keeping them here.

The login system is installed, implemented, and takes ZERO time away from any other aspect of the game. The only headaches that it has caused is when the cheat detection detects a hacker or someone uses multiple accounts.

Sure, lets kill dplogin and everything will be fine.

Epic fail....

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »
*sigh*

you guys are all taking this in completely the wrong direction. I'm not saying we should get rid of dplogin and rejoice, im saying that we should change aspects of it. The system has been around for 3 years or so and there have been acknowledged problems with it, I think changes could be made to improve the system, I dont think that destroying it entirely would do any good.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
Make up your mind, the clan you are in shouldn't be because such and such player is better than this player...
It should be made up of people you enjoy playing with, people you can just relax on vent teamspeak and say "nice try bro"

Like OTB :P

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
The login system is installed, implemented, and takes ZERO time away from any other aspect of the game. The only headaches that it has caused is when the cheat detection detects a hacker or someone uses multiple accounts.

Sure, lets kill dplogin and everything will be fine.

Epic fail....

Well a lot of players are banned for multiple accounts and then never play again, usually new players who don't know any better, I'm not saying to completely kill it.. Maybe simplify it? Make it less constricted?
I think we should really think about not having it or changing it, other games go on just fine without any kind of login system besides their forums.
Depending on how quick the detection system is the person could be banned from playing for a short amount of time so they don't just quit because they are banned for 2 years because their friend wanted to play around hacking.
OR if someone like myself got fed up with people hacking while nobody was or would do anything about it.
I guarantee that more players will play, if work something like that out.

BUT of course idiots like Zaltekk would be banned for longer if not permabanned because of there intentional actions to ruin the DP community.