Author Topic: Solving the tie map problem  (Read 10416 times)

Brewsky

• Stingray
Solving the tie map problem
« on: December 31, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »
In light of yet another 20 minute silent tie map suggestion standoff with Insane Junction, I have decided to make this post.

Lets lay down some basic matching etiquette. Most of this has to do with respecting other people's time.

#1: Know your team's map selection before you start a match, if you dont know one, at least make a top 5 list so you don't sit there and argue with your team while the other team suffers.

#2: If the match happens to come to a tiebreak decision, REFER TO RULE #1. You should always have several tie maps in mind WELL before a tie map situation arises.

#3: For the love of god, please suggest universal tie maps. Maps that are popular clanned maps. Maps that you think the other team may actually pick! Make at least 3 suggestions, but 5 is prudent and you will usually get a response. IJ played air1 for their map and then suggested air2 and air3.... really? Be realistic with your suggestions. And please don't pick random maps that the other team doesn't even know. If you know the suggestion is ridiculous, why even put it on the table?

#4: If you don't have suggestions, be the bigger team and pick the legitimate ones being put on the table. If you don't want to play any suggested maps and don't have any suggestions, dont match in the first place. This is some sort of new tactic being used by several clans out there. They just sit and play dumb until the other team decides enough time has been spent trying to find a middleground instead of actually playing the game.

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
Re: Solving the tie map problem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 12:51:44 AM »
Actually Brew, -s2k invented this tactic. Go back to your roots bro. You changed.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:37 AM »
You actually passed pretty well with air2&3, try playing for instance ex and agree on tie map.

IMO, make a poll of 10 maps, 5 on top will be official tie map options. Also, all those 10 maps should be well know by any player. Thread than stickies and that's it, problem solved.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:10:37 AM »
propaint1, shazam22, airtime should be maps that are playable for every clan there is. Come on, they have been around for years, clans match on them every day. Personally I won't suggest airtime vs some clans, but only if I know beforehand that the tiemap would be boring (they get 1 point lead and discover the crouch button and find that you can throw pr0 [prime] nades).

But pbcup_pforest, pbcup_renoir, carpathian, castle1 make good tie maps too. For the same reason - they're popular.

I think that clans should select 5,7,9 maps that would go into tie map pool, and in every match where tie map is needed and cant be agreed some other way, the clans would remove maps 1 by 1 from that list until 1 map remains. But we already know that this is not going to work unless we get some help from jitspoe as well. The newbies wouldnt respect some random dplogin.com/forums thread, but if jits would make like www.dplogin.com/tiemap where the general etiquette would be found, then many problems would be avoided...

And dont tell me that making a small maplist for tiemap is going to take some variety away from the game. Naaaaah, I think the current tiemap choice is ~3-5 maps.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:23:03 AM »
6 so far, I agree on all of em. I even would stop at this point and make em official.

Also, Jits, you really should make somthing of this one out, it's not that you are poking your nose into match scene, it's to avoid putting pressure on clans regarind tie maps. I'll give you an example. We matched one clan, went to tie, they didn't wanted to agree on tie and because they had login, they just changed to their chosen map and didn't wanted even to discuss tie. This sort of things happens alot.

If you would make some ground rules, at least the other clan could have a chance to walk from the server with clean hands if they still wouldn't wanna play one of those maps.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 06:58:05 AM »
tie is shock or you ff!!

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:23:13 AM »
And please don't pick random maps that the other team doesn't even know. If you know the suggestion is ridiculous, why even put it on the table?

+1

tie is shock or you ff!!

Thats like CSO sometimes. Oddjob or you ff...

We need an official map list and remove all other maps from the normal maps folder. Maybe some old, classic maps and all maps from the "Completed Maps" board.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »
In q everytime we get to tie against any clan we just say: "pp1 or s22?". Not because we're especially good in any of those maps but just to solve things quickly. And I have to say that most clans immediately pick one of those and we just play.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »
lawl has a massive variety of map choice, our tie-map situations never take long because we have such a wide range of variety in terms of skill, size and gameplay. We never normally choose airtime1, sh22 or pp1 either.. unless it's a strange clan who will only play them... :/

cap0ne

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »
Just like terrorist sed we need a map list for matches

MY opinion ( 5 match maps )
1.Shock
2.Prolandr
3.Pbcup Renoir
4.oddjob
5. PP1

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »
Just like terrorist sed we need a map list for matches

MY opinion ( 5 match maps )
1.Shock
2.Prolandr
3.Pbcup Renoir
4.oddjob
5. PP1

I`ve heard shock is the best map. Oh yes and a pgp map..:)

Cap0ne, do you take speed or smthing?

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
Yep, we suggested about 4 common maps at first (even a lining map for them)- c1, pforest, renoir, strap

They suggested a2, a3. Eventually they suggested xbmap1. We decided they're gonna be idiots, so we chose xbmap1 just to get it over with. After we agreed to xbmap1, they refused to go to it. Finally after waiting for them to waste more time, they then say bombsaway or nothing...

....ya, that's their clan tactic.

and p.s. I agree about a list, but why not more than 5, so that we can fit maps from all skill levels in there. Right now capOne I only see one good map, we should have enough for everyone to enjoy :)

If people are really wanting ideas to find maps, why not a list of 10 maps, and then have rule of elimination.
Ex: Team a:not map 1, team b: not map 6, team a: not map 9, etc. etc. until there's 1 map left. That way it would be an equal map for both, and no favorite maps...

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 11:12:45 AM »
There shouldn't be an "official tie map" or even a "official tie maplist".. Lets think about this realistically - when new maps come out, some clans might want to play them for a tie. But if they aren't in the list, they can't play them.. That's not really fair, is it? Also, what if a clan doesn't like any of the "official tie maps"? More problems will arise. Rather than having more and more problems appearing because of this, just keep it as it is. An odd thread appears every known and then, and nothing comes of it. So why should anyone bother with this?

I just can't see any problems with the current method now. If a clan refuses to choose a map, end the match in a tie. Simple...

cap0ne

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »
I`ve heard shock is the best map. Oh yes and a pgp map..:)

Cap0ne, do you take speed or smthing?
take speed or something? you mean drugs or speedhack or something else?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 01:22:05 PM »
There shouldn't be an "official tie map" or even a "official tie maplist"..

I've never said "official tie maplist". I mean an official map list. To sort out the ugly ice-speed-jump-camp-leak-nonvis maps.

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
I've never said "official tie maplist". I mean an official map list. To sort out the ugly ice-speed-jump-camp-leak-nonvis maps.
i get some sort of feeling you dislike wobluda. :)

And regarding an official maplist, it's probably not a bad idea to put one in. I still think its way more fun to play some random map i havent even ever played so its more exciting to have to learn the map while playing. I'd rather play some random map than a map ive played 100+ times where all i do is the same speed with the same lines camping the same spot so I can win some match. Especially in a game where it takes one shot to kill someone, when everyone knows the map like the back of their hand, its just a matter of who can go through ice faster, do dumb tactics better, and essentially keep your cursor on one point longer. Yes, carp, pp1, s22 and all those maps are extremely well made, but it just gets boring doing the exact same thing every match. It just makes it more frustrating when you lose.

cap0ne

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »

And regarding an official maplist, it's probably not a bad idea to put one in. I still think its way more fun to play some random map i havent even ever played so its more exciting to have to learn the map while playing. I'd rather play some random map than a map ive played 100+ times where all i do is the same speed with the same lines camping the same spot so I can win some match. Especially in a game where it takes one shot to kill someone, when everyone knows the map like the back of their hand, its just a matter of who can go through ice faster, do dumb tactics better, and essentially keep your cursor on one point longer. Yes, carp, pp1, s22 and all those maps are extremely well made, but it just gets boring doing the exact same thing every match. It just makes it more frustrating when you lose.
that was the word i was searching

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »
Yes.

Brewsky

• Stingray
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
I think coming up with an official maplist is unrealistic and should not be part of Jitspoe's business. We had a tie map list in a couple of the working leagues that completed a full season, but it only worked because there were rules and they could be enforced by removing clans from the bracket.

We are talking about random clanning on a day to day basis, which is only regulated by etiquette, nothing else. The best solution in my opinion is to come up with a map randomizer. Something that both teams can see the results of at the same time. I'm sure its possible to make a script in IRC with a full list of paintball maps and put it in a paintball match channel for everyone to use. Type something like !tiemap and get your tie map randomly generated. No arguments or excuses. I would say if this is possible, the only rule should be no one map is played twice in a match.  If the tie map generated was played as one of the first 2 maps, it is discarded as a possibility and you use the generator again.

We have random eight ball generators and random quote generators... I'm sure this can be done. A larger variety of maps will get played and it will keep things interesting. The main issue here is TIME. Most arguments arise during tie map selection, so with an unbiased approach I think this could make matches much more enjoyable.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
But not every clan in dp is on IRC.