Author Topic: Playoffs are Around the Corner, Analysis and Predictions inside  (Read 2008 times)

Gibb

• Stingray
With only two weeks left, and nine matches to go, the first ever PBCup Playoffs are just around the corner. Team er33t has already locked up a spot in the playoffs and can clinch the #1 seed with a three round victory in their upcoming match against Rust.  However, European clan 2b0 still has a chance at climbing to the top of the standings if the following take place: two 4-0 victories over both MeMi and krew, and Rust beats er33t 3-1. If 2b0 manages to pull of two straight sweeps and Rust and er33t split their match, there would be a two-team tie for first place. Some may say such an outcome is highly unlikely, but crazier things have happened.

Yet some might say the real playoff race is forming on the opposite end of the playoff ladder. The battle for the 4th, 5th, and 6th spot are really heating up as time starts runs out. Both krew and Rust will try to display their “A” games the last two weeks in an attempt to put together a good enough run to make the basement position in the playoff standings. As of now, Rust sits in the 6th spot leading krew by only two-points. In an attempt to make Rust really work for a playoff berth, krew must beat 2b0 at least 3 to 1. Doing so would move krew into the 6th spot by one point, forcing Rust to take at least one round from the goliaths at the top, Team er33t, to force a tiebreaker. If 2b0 should beat krew 3-1, Rust will advance to the playoffs as the 6th seed regardless of the outcome of their match versus er33t, however, if 2b0 and krew split their match and Rust fails to win a round versus er33t, a tiebreaker match between Rust and krew will take place. The winner will try to upset a few favorites to take home the first PBCup championship, while the loser will watch on and begin their preparation for the next season a little earlier then they planned.

Remaining Matches of the Regular Season:

The following is how I see the end of this first season rounding out. The predicted outcomes and importance of the game to the clans will be given below.

Week 6 | Team MeMi @ =|aB|= Team aB
Outcome: 2-2

Both Memi and aB are trying to make a run for the three seed for the playoffs. This match will have a direct effect on who most likely finishes 3rd and plays the 6th seed in the first round, and who will play the 5th seed as the number 4 ranked clan in the playoffs. Due to the fact this match will be split on Euro and American servers,
I predict each team will win both rounds on their respected server.
(Importance rating: 4 out of 5)

Week 7 | Cross Bones @ GRäFFìTî TªGGërz
Outcome: xB 4-0

Simply put, xB has been playing very well as of late and can solidify a playoff berth with a 4-0 win over GT. xB will have no trouble on Pforest as they are an older clan, and I believe they take both rounds on crimethink taboot.
(Importance rating: 2 of 5)

Week 7 | [QeHs] @ Team MeMi
Outcome: Memi 4-0

Much respect must be given to QeHs for sticking with the league this season. In a community where teams fall apart just as fast as they were quickly put together, this clan has really impressed many people with both their dedication and enthusiasm. However, needing all 4 points to make a run for the 3 seed, MeMi will realize the importance of this match and come away with the sweep.
(Importance rating: 1 of 5)

Week 7 | wrecking.krew @ [QeHs]
Outcome: krew 4-0

If krew does not come away with a sweep here, they can kiss their playoff hopes goodbye. I love this QeHs team, and I bet you they put a point on the board before the season ends, but it will not be against krew in Week 7.
(Importance rating: 2 of 5)

Week 7 | GRäFFìTî TªGGërz @ =|aB|= Team aB
Outcome: aB 4-0

GT has some great individual players who often display their talents on public servers, but until they can come together and function more efficiently as a team, I can’t see them taking a round against a highly skilled aB team with a lot of depth. aB needs to sweep to get to the 3 spot and they will.
(Importance Rating: 2 of 5)

Week 7 | Team MeMi @ Two-Bit Operation
Outcome: 2b0 3-1

Two European clans duke it out, if 2b0 wants a shot at being #1 they have to sweep MeMi here, but I don’t think they will in a very close 3-1 victory.
(Importance Rating: 2 of 5)

Week 8 | Rust @ Team eR33t
Outcome: er33t 3-1

Two clans with rosters full of old-school names will match each other for the first time in what could be an extremely meaningful game for Rust. Depending on the outcomes of krew’s last two matches, Rust may have to win 2 or 3 rounds to advance to the playoffs. Unless Rust buckles down and attempts to learn these two maps, they better hope for the best-case scenario of a krew implosion.
(Importance Rating: 3 of 5)

Week 8 | [QeHs] @ GRäFFìTî TªGGërz
Outcome: GT 3-1

I said QeHs wouldn’t finish this season with a goose egg in the win column, and this is where they do it. Playing on a Euro server, they will take GT down one round and get a much-deserved point. On the USA servers, GT will outplay them and win both rounds.
(Importance Rating: 1 of 5)

Week 8 | Two-Bit Operation @ wrecking.krew
Outcome: 2-2

In a must win match for krew, expect Rust to be experimenting with voodoo dolls and the like, as krew battles a very talented 2b0. As stated above, both teams may have something on the line in this match. Once again because this match will be played on two-servers, 2b0 will be too much w/ a great ping advantage playing in Europe. If krew can get two wins on the US server, it may be all they need to make a run in the playoffs.
(Importance Rating: 4 of 5)

If the following predictions come true, the finals standings for the regular season will look like the following:

er33t = 29pts
2b0 = 25pts
aB = 25pts
MeMi = 23pts
xB = 22pts
Rust = 21pts

Krew = 20pts
GT = 9pts
Qehs = 1pts

PBCup staff is still discussing how tiebreakers will be addressed. Rust and Crossbones will play either aB or MeMi depending on the tiebreaker. Once these issues are resolved, the league will be informed immediately.  Expect a Playoff analysis article after the last two weeks of the regular season finish up.

-Gibb (aka #23)

This article can also be found on the main page of www.pbcup.com

Gibb

• Stingray
Re: Playoffs are Around the Corner, Analysis and Predictions inside
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 03:47:09 PM »
So just to boost my e-ego, I predicted the standings would look like this @ the end of the season:

er33t = 29pts
2b0 = 25pts
aB = 25pts
MeMi = 23pts
xB = 22pts
Rust = 21pts
Krew = 20pts
GT = 9pts
Qehs = 1pts

The actual results were:

er33t = 29pts
2b0 = 26pts
aB = 24pts
xB = 22pts
MeMi = 21pts
Rust = 21pts
Krew = 20pts
GT = 10pts
Qehs = 2pts

I'm a genius.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 05:32:04 PM »
So just to boost my e-ego, I predicted the standings would look like this @ the end of the season:

er33t = 29pts
2b0 = 25pts
aB = 25pts
MeMi = 23pts
xB = 22pts
Rust = 21pts
Krew = 20pts
GT = 9pts
Qehs = 1pts

The actual results were:

er33t = 29pts
2b0 = 26pts
aB = 24pts
xB = 22pts
MeMi = 21pts
Rust = 21pts
Krew = 20pts
GT = 10pts
Qehs = 2pts

I'm a genius.

:p

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 07:36:39 PM »
We need an unofficial QeHs appreciation thread.