Poll

What's most important to spend time on?

Banning cheaters and other rule violators.
5 (6.8%)
Improved media (models, textures, maps, etc.)
31 (42.5%)
More user-friendlyness (especially for new players - easier account registration, server browsing, etc.)
12 (16.4%)
New features
11 (15.1%)
Performance (better framerate)
6 (8.2%)
Bug fixes
6 (8.2%)
Other
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: What's most important? (v2)  (Read 9201 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
What's most important? (v2)
« on: January 04, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
New year, new poll.  I'm curious if opinions have changed much.  (Old poll is here, for those who care).

Justinph5

• Autococker
Re: What's most important? (v2)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
Banning and User-friendliness. 2 things that would help new players out. The most important is to retain new players and merge them into the clan scene.

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »
I put new features for the purpose of implementing demo smoothing, demo playback controls, and server side demos (which could also help catch cheaters).

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »
I'd say improved media. We need something to actually draw the players to this game and I think Improved media would do that.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:16:45 AM »
Gotta agree with Rick, how you gonna keep the new players playing if they think that the game looks like crap?

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 04:32:03 AM »
Voted for improved media, User-friendliness and Banning are also important.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 05:51:53 AM »
This is the game with less cheaters I have ever seen so voting for banning all cheaters as a priority....no.

It's also so meddling easy to make an account and to learn the game that only retards need even more user-friendliness. And I don't want more retards.

I get 1000 FPS so i don't really care about a better framerate.

So yeah, I vote for Improved media (what this game really lacks) altough I would also like to vote on New features and Bug fixes.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »
I vote for improving media, but I'd also like to see my fps higher (get a new computer?!?).

But I think that improving media would require more people in the development team.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 10:44:03 AM »
But I think that improving media would require more people in the development team.

We have a development team ???
We could need it, but we don't have it at the moment. There is too much closed source.

I have to decide between better performance (especially server side cpu useage) and bug fixes. Hard, but i'll vote for the same like in the last year. Bug fixes.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:51:29 AM »
Bug fixes, then performance - nothing else is going to keep you playing this game if it crashes every five seconds or lags like hell on nice-looking maps/media.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:07:43 AM »
Improved media depends quite a lot not on Jitspoe's development, but others. (models, textures, maps, etc.)

Maps- well, yeah, its up to the map makers to make nicer looking and nicer playing maps. A bunch of interesting maps have come out recently, yet we've never seen/played them. OTB is the only one that uploads them, the American side barely see's the new maps. And in matches, most clans choose the stupid basic Airtime1 or something else that looks stupid and basic. Maps are the map-makers and clans problems, not Jitspoe to make.

Textures- Textures can be worked on by community, also. The used to be a large topic making a community texture project by Yootz (19 pages of textures). It depended on other people making nice textures that we would then be able to use in maps. I currently use quite a bit of the hr4 textures from that thread, as most textures were made by people really wanting to make the game look interesting.

Models- Things that can be worked on by community too. Although this would be harder, and Jitspoe could work on and update the models that are checked for hacking. But community is able to create models, and submit them to Jitspoe who could tweak them and implement them in the game.

But maybe a design team / media sub-forum. I'd be willing to make textures and edit them, I've just only worked on tweaking some slightly as of yet to keep them in check. I don't want people to cry foul if I started changing textures, and they see something different than the norm. That's the problem with these things.

Henkka

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
Improved media depends quite a lot not on Jitspoe's development, but others. (models, textures, maps, etc.)
And in matches, most clans choose the stupid basic Airtime1 or something else that looks stupid and basic.

Simplicity over everything.

I also want to say that 99% of the new maps are unimaginative mazes full of rubbish or very pitiful tries of remaking some classic matchmap with the most ugliest and worst outcome ever seen. Put more effort and take more time to make the maps.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
Ban players and have ZERO tollerance policy.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »
I would rather ban ice from maps before i ban cheaters tbh.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 04:40:39 PM »
It's also so meddling easy to make an account and to learn the game that only retards need even more user-friendliness. And I don't want more retards.

ORLY? How about a convenience? For instance server browser not only scares away noobs, it also makes finding specific server longer than necessary.

I voted for user friendliness, but I really mean to say something different: this game needs POLISH. it's not purely about visuals matching Crysis/Stalker, etc. It's to give an impression  you have a complete and thought-out product. This is pretty much the reasoning behind all features I've proposed (escaping CO2, reasons for kicks/bans, autoupdates)

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
I've been playing this game for 3 years and I never had a single problem finding a server. Am I a brilliant guy? no. This game has like 20 servers, it's ridiculous to even think about making that part of the game better before other much more important things. Waste of time.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 05:18:59 PM »
Maps- well, yeah, its up to the map makers to make nicer looking and nicer playing maps. A bunch of interesting maps have come out recently, yet we've never seen/played them. OTB is the only one that uploads them, the American side barely see's the new maps. And in matches, most clans choose the stupid basic Airtime1 or something else that looks stupid and basic. Maps are the map-makers and clans problems, not Jitspoe to make.
they see something different than the norm. That's the problem with these things.

Well, it would help if we could make more complex maps without huge r_speeds and a huge export time.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
I've been playing this game for 3 years and I never had a single problem finding a server. Am I a brilliant guy? no. This game has like 20 servers, it's ridiculous to even think about making that part of the game better before other much more important things. Waste of time.

Way too many servers.  It was far easier to pick the right server when we only had 5 of them! :) 

I voted for user friendliness, but I really mean to say something different: this game needs POLISH.

enough polish people crowding the servers already.   j/k.

Now for real:
- MEDIA !! This game needs better textures etc.  However, I did not vote for this, because, in my opinion, this is nothing jitspoe should waste his little time on.  The last builds were mostly about better sounds etc, which could have been recorded by other users, and jitspoe could have focused on other stuff
- Bug fixes:  constantly...

I picked new features, because I'm still waiting for that simple improvement of the STDlog :)  Cmon, add the GLS ID of players that are logged in to each line!!!! :)

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
Well, it would help if we could make more complex maps without huge r_speeds and a huge export time.
That would be considered new features / performance, right? Either way its true that its needed for better graphics. I guess we could count it as improved media as the part Jitspoe would have to work on.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 05:06:07 PM »
Looks like improved media is the biggie here.  I'm tossing around some ideas for a new map format in my head, which would help a lot, but would take a while to implement.  It would probably require new tools to build maps as well.

I really need to wrap up another build and get the uninstall survey functional.  Getting feedback from people who uninstall is probably the most valuable for figuring out why people don't play.