Author Topic: Connection settings?  (Read 1871 times)

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
Connection settings?
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
I'm having lots of problems with getting a steady internet connection.  Sometimes my ping is fine and I get packet loss, sometimes my ping is horrible and I get packet loss, and sometimes my internet works right.  The main problem is when my internet is working almost too good.  I have a good ping of around 50-60 and a good netgraph, but for some reason when I shoot people my hits don't want to register.  I can shoot at a person standing still and it takes 4-5 hits before they decide to die.  I seem to get better hit recognition with 150 ping and massive lag.

I know the cmdrate default is 60 and that's what I'm at.  Is it possible to have choke like in css where you send data too fast for the server to handle and get hit register problems?  Because that's what this seems to be.  Should I change my cmdrate at all to compensate?

I also read about rate, which from what I gather is the packet size in bytes.  Mine is at 20000, and I'm not sure what default is.  Could this be changed to fix the problem?

Justinph5

• Autococker
Re: Connection settings?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
Interpolated hitboxes!

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »
That helps a lot...or not.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:14:18 AM »
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=18527.0

It's basically saying that the hitbox is not always where the player model is.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
I understand that, but when a player is standing still I think their hitbox should be there.

I'm asking if there is a connection tweak to try and minimize this problem.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »
Verify that these are set correctly:
cl_nodelta 0 // keep delta compression enabled
cl_predict 1 // enable entity prediction between network packets
r_lerpmodels 1 // enable prediction on models

You probably want to max out your cmdrate setting at 80, but some internet connections can't handle that. This speed test should give you your upload packets per second, which you can use to tweak your cmdrate. Your cmdrate needs to be set slightly lower than your PPS. It's also worth noting that your PPS may get worse when your internet starts degrading. You might get 200PPS at 4am, but 40PPS at 8PM when everyone in your neighborhood is online.
Your rate should be fine, I think servers use maxrate 5000 these days.. so the higher values probably wouldn't change much on most servers.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:02:17 PM »
Verify that these are set correctly:
cl_nodelta 0 // keep delta compression enabled
cl_predict 1 // enable entity prediction between network packets
r_lerpmodels 1 // enable prediction on models

You probably want to max out your cmdrate setting at 80, but some internet connections can't handle that. This speed test should give you your upload packets per second, which you can use to tweak your cmdrate. Your cmdrate needs to be set slightly lower than your PPS. It's also worth noting that your PPS may get worse when your internet starts degrading. You might get 200PPS at 4am, but 40PPS at 8PM when everyone in your neighborhood is online.
Your rate should be fine, I think servers use maxrate 5000 these days.. so the higher values probably wouldn't change much on most servers.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I think r_lerpmodels just removes animation frame interpolation in the renderer - not movement interpolation.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
The hit detection works nothing like Counter-Strike: Source, and your data rate isn't really going to impact it.  The only data you're sending to the server is "am I pressing the fire button".  The server handles all the projectile movement and collision detection.   I'm not sure how this would be an issue when an enemy is standing still.  Even if your latency is really high, you should still fire at around the point you were at when you pressed the fire button, even if you don't get the feedback for 150+ms.  A good thing to do in these situations is record a demo then review it after playing.  Demos record things closer to how the server sees them.  You might simply be leading too much or too little to account for your velocity.