Author Topic: GlobalGamers Poll  (Read 8912 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
GlobalGamers Poll
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:34:02 AM »
Ok, so GlobalGamers has recently realised that DP isn't what it used to be (to put it in a nice way), and GlobalGamers would like to help as much as possible, in any way, shape, or form.
I was talking with ButtaKnife, and we were thinking of a tournament of some sort. Or perhaps a league/ladder. We also thought of game servers, more IRC features, etc. We figured this might add some spark back into the community, especially the clanning scene. Hopefully involving more clans and players to get more involved, also introducing more players to the game.

So, GlobalGamers wants to know what you want from them. Whether it's some type of tournament, for example, 3v3 cup, 2v2 league, etc. Or some more gameservers (Give specific details, like PGP only, CTF only, etc), new IRC features (Again, some details please!) or even advertising the game more.

Whatever you want from GlobalGamers, please post here and after 5 days, we'll setup a poll for you to vote. Here's the things you can suggest

- A league/cup/ladder/tournament.
- Gameservers
- IRC Features
- Or your own suggestion. (Not listed)

Thanks!
Kyuuchi, on behalf of the GG Staff.

blaa

• Autococker
Re: GlobalGamers Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:45:17 AM »
what is wrong with you?
There are tournaments ran by me, shep/shockwave.

This is just another egotrip for you so you can post about important stuff (like the gg anniversary tournament, where you did nothing to be honest. everything was run by gg staff)

---
Im not saying that more cups/servers/features is a bad thing, but let the GG staff speak to the community directly, they know how to create an account!!! Noone cares about you, you have given up on most of the stuff you have tried to make....

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:47:15 AM »
Given the obsolete game engine, crappy community and severe lack of interest of older players, no, there is no way to ¨spark it up˝.

No tournaments will help you achieve this. There have been alot of tourneys lately and how many new players did they attract?

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
Bah, haven't seen Blaa posted before me. I might aswell sign his post, I just tried to make it not to hurt your feelings, which is pretty tough.

Leriq

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
Like any old game, the only way to get it bigger is to get more people to download it. Trying to get inactive players active is not the way!

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 09:51:56 AM »
Im not saying that more cups/servers/features is a bad thing, but let the GG staff speak to the community directly, they know how to create an account!!! Noone cares about you, you have given up on most of the stuff you have tried to make....

Id like to have a Music-Player in IRC, oh and VLC Scripts Support, it doesn`t work with Win7 anymore:(

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
Like any old game, the only way to get it bigger is to get more people to download it. Trying to get inactive players active is not the way!

We don't have a quantity problem here, it's a quality one. Putting nostalgia aside, this game was more fun/entertaining/interesting/active and possibly even friendlier when there was only 200 north americans actually playing it with the occassional pub newbs who wandered in from a Q2 server browser.

I really like that pb2 has kept its IRC and clan roots, lots of games these days are just massive pub free for alls. If it were up to a couple people/groups to organize matches and tournaments we would be in a pretty bad state, but the community does a pretty good job of running itself. I'm glad that players can lead and participate in clans, organize matches, and pass on these behaviours to newer players.

IRC Features:
- A match-reserve/rent script that clans can use. The chan admin can add host:ip,rcon_password to their chanserv and it will let people use !match to get a server from that channel.
- Maybe some kind of irc account+dplogin integration. I have my own ideas for this.. but only for a match-tracking type of system.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 11:39:09 AM »
Blaa; why are you raging at kyuuchi for attempting to help by posting for them? Get over the fact you don't like him. If anyone else posted you wouldn't of cared. Shk/Shep tournys suck. The details change daily.

Gameservers - A few CTF match servers would be nice. We currently have some, but teams can go on a powertrip over them and ban you for nothing. Like 3iob being banned from uR's. Or Skater being banned from 3iob's over a PUG.

Leagues etc.. can be made by players, but clans change so much that it ruins it. Getting a hold of servers to use aswell. I've had an idea for a league, and I figure theres enough solid clans. But my 'ideas' of keeping people interested involve PHP coding in a website, which I cannot do. Other then little weekend tournaments, theres not 'ALOT' of tournys. We get 1 day tournys. Nothing that keeps even active players interested.

I really like the Match-Reserve/rent feature that XtremeBain mentioned. People have created them, but this would be so much simpler then finding 1 of the 3 or so people who actually know how to make them.

Hmm.. None of these would attract new players, they would just 'maybe' keep the same ones playing. The most usefull would probably be a succesfull league I guess. Since, theres already servers, and the teams paying for them would find this option really dumb.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »
The only thing I can see GlobalGamers helping with is advertisement. If they spammed every channel with this website and #paintball info, then it would get other IRC people to join. IRC people would already be a step close to joining a clan if they start playing dp, and they would already be talking in IRC so we'd get to know them quicker...

So, I would say the only thing is:
-Chanserv spam, YA!

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
a) a way for people to find matches other than on IRC

- there are now the same people on IRC that were there 2 years ago, so why do you wonder why you only match the same clans/people? If newer players are not attracted to IRC, offer them another way to find a match/participate in tournaments

b) I'm afraid there's no way to make this community "friendlier" :(

c) if jitspoe doesn't develop this game any further (which, in all honesty, he hasn't done in the last year or so - "sounds" and "bugfixes" won't attract new players), this game will die pretty soon, except for people like Rocky and Mosez who just can't let go :)  Seriously, if there isn't a major graphical update really quick, along with some integrational features (for players that don't idle on IRC all day), this game is doomed :)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 01:47:18 PM »
I agree with you MyeRs, fully.

I also fully agree with b00nlander, until jitspoe develops this game a lot more, or until the game gets a great development team, nothing will happen in this game that's worth playing for.

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »
the fact that this thread was made by a 12 year old kyuuchi cutie makes it useless.  ky just trying to get his post count up lol

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 01:58:17 PM »
Lol i cant let go ? coming from a 40 year old ? whos still here.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
Rocky, this is a serious thread. Please don't ruin it with your flaming posts..

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 03:10:19 PM »
yes ! really serious ! every meddling month a topic like this and nothing gets done !!

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »
A ranked pug setup, kinda like ESEA where you get together in a server and it's scripted so the bgame won't actually start until everyone types .ready and the set amount of players are there. Maybe integrate it into IRC by having a channel for it where people can go in and type a command with a number of players per team and a gamemode (Ex. !pug 4 CTF). For a Deathmatch mode you would naturally just type the amount of players total (Ex. !pug 8 DM). Then it'll reserve a server and send it to the channel and maybe have an option for clan channels to enable pug notices and it can then send it to those channels as well. For the ranking I'm not sure how that would work out. Maybe have it so that people cna link their IRC to their Dplogin (like stated above) and then when they want to participate in a pug have them type another command to join the game (Ex. !joinpug 1). It'll then link that IRC account to the server and wait for that player (logged in of course) to join the server and can then keep track of kdr, Grabs, Caps, etc. and relay it back to the IRC account where it can be stored and people can search people's stats via IRC (Ex. !pugstats skitzo).

Just a thought, sounds like it would take a lot of work but I think it would be a pretty cool idea.

Myles

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »
skitzo's idea sounds awesome, but it seems like a lot of work would have to put into it.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »
A ranked pug setup, kinda like ESEA where you get together in a server and it's scripted so the bgame won't actually start until everyone types .ready and the set amount of players are there. Maybe integrate it into IRC by having a channel for it where people can go in and type a command with a number of players per team and a gamemode (Ex. !pug 4 CTF). For a Deathmatch mode you would naturally just type the amount of players total (Ex. !pug 8 DM). Then it'll reserve a server and send it to the channel and maybe have an option for clan channels to enable pug notices and it can then send it to those channels as well. For the ranking I'm not sure how that would work out. Maybe have it so that people cna link their IRC to their Dplogin (like stated above) and then when they want to participate in a pug have them type another command to join the game (Ex. !joinpug 1). It'll then link that IRC account to the server and wait for that player (logged in of course) to join the server and can then keep track of kdr, Grabs, Caps, etc. and relay it back to the IRC account where it can be stored and people can search people's stats via IRC (Ex. !pugstats skitzo).

Just a thought, sounds like it would take a lot of work but I think it would be a pretty cool idea.

We're discussing that idea at the moment, but we don't think that the stats idea would be possible.. We'll keep talking though, and try and find an alternative.
If you think you've found an alternative, please share it with us. ;)

skitzo

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
Well for the stats couldn't you just do something like take the same stats that are saved on the localstats and just make it so that it'll store it on a separate localstats on the IRC account that only records the stats when they're playing in a pug?

I don't know just throwing ideas out there.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 05:00:33 AM »
Well, I think I got this right, LoreOfSerpents said that it would be very very very hard to link the NickServ bot with the actual DP Game, and I don't think Lore wanted to make any changes to the NickServ bot.

What we were thinking of was:

Something similar to GameTracker; when you play on the PUG game servers, if you kill 10 people on the name "Example" and if you kill 11 people on the name "Examplee" it would create 2 different types of data, because they are different names. But we thought that if there was a way to make it so that the PUG bot would know the different names on the Dplogin account, all problems would be fixed.. But unfortunately, we don't see anyway of doing that at the moment.

So yeah, we're thinking of doing as you suggested, a PUG bot where a person wanting a game to be setup types "!pug 3 CTF" (the 3 meaning 3vs3) and the Channel topic will change saying "Now registering players, type .ready to join". Once the full 6 players have joined, the PUG bot will message the registered players with the server information, including password and login (It will be a PUG server, not servers such as OTB or 3iob). On the server, you cannot change teams and guntemp will be turned off.
If you connect to the server with a name of "Skitzo" for the first PUG, all your stats will be recorded whenever you use that name Skitzo. So a lot like GameTracker, if you use a name of Skitzo as said above, and then you use a different name of Skitzo? for the second PUG, it will create two different stat files.
The stat files for each name *will hopefully* be found by typing commands such as ".stats Skitzo" (Replace Skitzo with a persons name to find stats) and if you want to find the Top 10 people with the best stats then you would type something like ".top10"

As we said, this is still in discussion. But at the moment, that's the plan. Some people have also been suggesting a DP League hosted by GlobalGamers, and GlobalGamers said they will try and do both of these things for DP.

Thanks.