Author Topic: New Map: Green Hill Zone  (Read 10456 times)

cusoman

• Autococker
New Map: Green Hill Zone
« on: February 20, 2010, 06:26:37 PM »
Its green :)

Features:

-CTF (1flag per base)
-pr0shack terrain
-General Uberness
-Green Grass

Screenshots:

Inspiration for this map came from the increasing number of 2v2 matches, and increased choice of single path maps like shock and airtime for said matches.  Green Hill Zone is a small multipath map optimized for 2v2's, and could probably play 1v1's and 3v3's without much gameplay failure.

As far as gameplay and gameflow go, newbies can easily access the single flag in a number of ways, while more experienced players will find the jumps fast and enjoyable.  Unlike previous *cuso-maps* this map has jumps that actually flow together nicely, and have multiple start and end points, as well as numerous variations of each jump.  The size and layout of the map should suit all team and individual play styles successfully.

Please post feedback, and images of fail if necessary.

-Cusoman & L!nk

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Map: Green Hill Zone
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:34:25 PM »
ur cute ;) nice map from the screens.

maybe try varying up the filler. It seems so plain with only barrels, grass. Like the last ss

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:39:16 AM »
mmmgirl looks good took us less then a day to make it too =D

edit- oooo i like what u did with the extra barrels should do that some other place, ill show you later!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:24:05 AM by RoBiNandL!nk »

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:44:55 AM »
I quite like it from the sshots though, i'll dl it later and run around it.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 01:33:45 AM »
Eww, looks boxy ;]] Gonna dl it soon

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:38:08 AM »
Online and in the rotation: [OTB] Beta - 83.169.4.183:22222

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:24:26 AM »
It is really nice map. Good job. ;)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:43:16 AM »
Upload your hr4(h4r?) textures please :D, then I'll play it :D

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »
It looks great, what you do with two textures (almost :P).

Screenshot three looks funny...and boxy as jeejee said. But ingame it's not a big problem.

The map is very empty. Maybe it is exactly that, what you want to have. I would add some more stuff/details though.

And now the reason, I won't say, this could be one of may favorite maps if it's finished sometimes. The map isn't newbie friendly. I will try to explain. The flag isn't the problem for me. Everyone can get it easily. But the high count of jumps (easy jumps, hard jumps, jumps that flow together) is only something for more experienced players playing those maps very often. I can't imagine, that a newbie like to play/match those maps with lots of jump. Newbies with not so many experience playing and matching just for having fun and learning something about teamplay, tactic, etc. But how could they learn those things, if they get capped 10 times because of all this jumps? The map is over before they have seen all ways (not jumps). It's almost impossible to learn something about teamplay, tactic etc. because the more experienced players will only use crazy jumps. So that's why newbies will continue playing maps like airtime, shazam33 etc. in my opinion and won't choose those maps in matches, because 0:50 stats while they get capped 10 times won't be funny and useful for them. Newbies will only match this map, if more experienced players take it in a match and they have to play. Now to me, I am not a perfect jumper, I think most of the important jumps on this map are possible for me though. I think I will get bored too in playing/matching it, when I play it against newbies and it's too easy with all this jumps, because lot's of this jumps let this map be very fast and the newbies will be totaly disoriented.

Sorry for this bad grammar, I just write down my minds very fast.

It shouldn't be negative, it's just my general opinion about the sort of those maps and I hope that it can be useful for you ;)

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »
I agree with chef-killer. Although the map is playable for newbies, it is slanted greatly towards more experienced players. That being said, I think the map is pretty good for such a small map.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 07:41:07 AM »
Cool map, maybe too much open area for me.
Jumps are classic and are big advantage in this map as was already said. But these jumps can fit great to an average jumper I think. Would be interesting to test it out in a match.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 09:43:32 PM »
No. Not again. Don't we have enough of these maps? Disregarding the gameplay (however good it is), it looks exactly the same as a few different other maps. Grassy hills, rocks/steps, barrels strategically placed, wooden bridges, etc. Come on.
I'm not ripping on anyone personally, I'm just pointing out the fact that maps with the above characteristics are being pumped out way too often.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »
What else is there to make?

MissingNo.

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:02:10 AM »
What else is there to make?

25m? xD

Nice map.
I have started to remake the actual Green Hill Zone map, but it's not finished yet.

NJIN

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 07:57:13 AM »
Good layout but change the grass texture

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
Looks good - no major complaints from what I've seen, but I'd need to play it with other people.

- The right path is so much faster than the left that there's no reason to take the left path -- could lead to stale gameplay.
- Barrels look too fat (you should align them with the standard barrel top texture).
- Outside borders of the map are really boxy - could use some visual polish.
- The uniform layer of grass around the top is a bit weird/unnatural.

I've put it in rotation on the beta server.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »
We played this map a couple times in JMR's 2v2 tournament, and I actually really like the way it plays.  I'd say this is actually a good candidate for the official map list, and I'd like to see it finished up.

Here's some screenshots with feedback:

There should really be a faster, more straightforward way out of here.  It's annoying to have to back track to get out, especially when you spawn here.  Possibly add a (new player accessible) ramp, small boxes, lower the terrain, or even consider using more realistic sized barrels (about half a person's height).  Shorter barrels would actually be perfect here.

Speaking of barrels, you should at least line the brush up with the standard barrel textures (24 unit radius).

On this pergola thing, the wood plank textures really don't make sense.  Why would there be gaps in the wood here, and what are the planks nailed to?  I threw in a photo of a real pergola for reference.  I would use a different texture (solid wood) or maybe scale the planks so you don't see the gaps (though a stretched texture may look bad).

If you're going to make this a viable play area, you should make sure you can't see through the sky anywhere.  It just looks bad.  You would need to either add more cliff area in place of the sky, build the grass ledge out further so there are no sections of sky that overlap the map, or just build the cliffs higher and clip off these areas so players can't go up there.  You might also consider raising the sky so you don't hit your head...

You should drop this down slightly so that it's within stepping range.  The way it is now, you can land on closer edge of the barrels and jump, and it's fine.  You can skip the barrels and land on the cliff edge, and it's fine.  If you land on the far edge of the barrels, just short of the cliff, though, it completely kills your momentum.

Kind of a minor thing, but if you jump up the hill too far on the right, you hit the brush face highlighted in red and it sends you flying way off to the left of the flag stand.  Perhaps consider moving that brush back a bit or altering it somehow.  I think it might also be a good idea to add a small box or something in this area as well to make the path a little more accessible to new players.

This slight ramp in the terrain (solid red outline) can send you flying into the arch/pergola thing.  I'd flatten that terrain out (dotted line on the right) but possibly add a hill with a steeper ramp to make it so people can deliberately jump onto the pergola if they want to.  I don't know if it would be better to have the ramp on the left or right side, but I think there should be a clear flat path and ramped path to make it so players can consciously decide if they want to go high or low, not a subtle bump in the terrain that causes unexpected air.

Some of the walls have very harsh, unnatural 90 degree edges.  I'd work on those a bit.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
I don't have the map file anymore, you're going to have to get a hold of cuso and he's always on quite irregularly.

edit - I can double check when i get home, but i don't know if my version of it is even the latest version.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »
Yeah this map is on my list to finish in preparation for the official map list.  This one is really small maybe I will work on this before finishing the other ones.  Thanks for the feedback, I'll fix it up.

- Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 03:03:06 AM »
Would love to see this one finished up and moved out of beta, even if there's just a small box or something to make exiting the base from spawn, it would go a long way, I think.