Author Topic: Match Basics  (Read 4916 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Match Basics
« on: April 11, 2006, 07:50:05 PM »
I figured I'd at least lay out some of the basic rules I've learned from various match scenes:

- The winner is determined by the best of 3 maps.  If a clan wins 2 maps, they win the match.  A tie can be achieved by a win, a tie, and a loss, but that should not happen if overtime is enabled.
- Each clan picks a map, and the third map must be agreed upon by both clans.  It's best to pick maps ahead of time to avoid wasting match time bickering about what the tie map should be.
- A clan picks the team color on the map chosen by the opposing clan.
- The colors stay the same (or as close as possible) as the second map when moving on to the third (there are probably other ways of resolving this, but this is the method I've seen the most).
- Each clan is allowed one map restart.  This isn't really applicable in most maps today, but in QWPB, all equipment was randomized, so clans could request a restart in hopes of getting better equipment on their side.
- Friendly fire should be on (unless both clans agree to play with it disabled).  Friendly fire the standard for every major matching scene I know of, and it used to be part of paintball, too, but it seems clans have drifted to the generic pub settings.
- A match should consist of at lest 3 vs 3, but preferably 4 vs 4 or more.  1 vs 1 is definitely not a clan match and should not count toward a clan's record.
- In situations where there are large discrepancies in pings due to server locations, the clan that does not choose the map can choose the server.  Matches should never be played on cable modem servers or other home connections as this puts other players at a significant disadvantage.  In this situation, a tie map may also be chosen by one clan while the other clan choses the server and team.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 09:32:02 AM by jitspoe »

SkateR

• Autococker
Re: Match Basics
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 08:43:03 PM »
Bah you just had to add that FFire part ;)

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 06:08:45 AM »
what is with the server porblem ( e.g. pings? like german and american)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 01:01:49 PM »
Can we stop with the grade-school name calling?  I've just wiped half this thread.  There are rules for this forum.  Follow them.

As for the server locations, I think it would make the most sense to have the team that didn't chose the map pick the server, like is done with the teams.  This will prevent people from picking maps where there is a significant ping advantage.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 02:11:45 PM »
i would have said that teams should play their own maps on the server of their choice, however you make an interesting point.

and on a side note, i hope this is the start of a crack-down on the so called "grade-school name calling" jits.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 02:16:20 PM »
Jits just needs to make me a forum cop to crack down on you punks.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 05:59:33 PM »
Jits just needs to make me a forum cop to crack down on you punks.
You got my vote.

AgentSmith

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 02:36:33 AM »
Mine too, KnacK the Sheriff...

With ffire, u mean the COMPLETELY ffire, so that I can even kill teammates with paintballs?!

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 05:15:26 AM »
What about the server choice for the tiemap in a match between europians and americans? How should that be handled?

AgentSmith

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 06:51:16 AM »
Buy a boat with a server and send it out the the atlantic ocean..

-problem sloved

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 01:46:21 PM »
I'm not sure on that one.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 04:23:29 AM »
Something i can suggest for that: If one clan has higher pings in average than the other than this clan should be allowed to chose tiemap. Still i dont know what to do about server in a situation like this. (And not like this: Lets play this game how its supposed to be played, on american servers. <-- silly, aint it? )

Dragon11

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 03:30:30 PM »
Something i can suggest for that: If one clan has higher pings in average than the other than this clan should be allowed to chose tiemap. Still i dont know what to do about server in a situation like this. (And not like this: Lets play this game how its supposed to be played, on american servers. <-- silly, aint it? )
    you sold host one of co2s match is

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »
Thank You

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 09:47:27 AM »
Jitspoe, you need to add how a 1v1 is not a clan match. Obviously some people in the community even more "respected" players(DAMIEN) thinks a 1v1 is a match.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 03:11:45 PM »
Good point.  Not really the basics, but worth mentioning, so I added it.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 08:55:24 PM »
Got a new one for ya.

If your clan gets beat, especially if they get bad. They need to add the loss to their record especially if they keep track of it on mIRC. No need to sit there and ignore the team you just got your ass whooped by and add a win for it.

Dragon11

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 09:50:16 PM »
Got a new one for ya.

If your clan gets beat, especially if they get bad. They need to add the loss to their record especially if they keep track of it on mIRC. No need to sit there and ignore the team you just got your ass whooped by and add a win for it.
i dont have that

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2006, 05:33:16 AM »
id say a 3vs3 is surely also a clanmatch. Since you can get always 3 opponents maybe also a 2on2 could be a match.

oddjob

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2006, 08:10:26 AM »
3v3 is definatly a match, but a bit weak. However as alot of clans have trouble getting more than 3 people on at a time, its hard not to get around the 3v3. This brings up an interesting point as well. If clans scheduled matches like when they do the PBCup matches, I am almost positive that people can get a really good match of 5v5 or more going.

As for 2v2, most definatly not a match, thats my opinion, and I am sure that other people who have been playing for as long as I have agree with me.