Author Topic: PaintBall 3.0  (Read 9960 times)

lhs_azevedo

• PGP
PaintBall 3.0
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:33:16 AM »
In the future (Far, I know), will be released a version of the game based on Quake 3 or 4?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: PaintBall 3.0
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:42:11 AM »
Q3 mods were being developed around the time of PB2 v1.5-1.6 ('01-02).

q3pball was coded by Zimbu with art contributions from other members of the DP community. It was abandoned after all the source code and backups were lost in a computer failure.

Then there were a few other guys that made Q_Ball. That mod was more like speedball. There were three guns with different characterisitcs. I remember the airball (inflatable) bunkers in that game looking and sounding pretty sweet, but I cannot find any screenshots. Beta v1.0 of both games are floating around the internet.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »
God, it looks way better. Is there any chance to go to another engine/mod?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
I think Quake 4 would be an excellent engine to start a new mod on. But there is really no way to convert the lower quality textures/models/maps from the DP engine to Q4, Unreal or Source engines. To get a "total conversion" off the ground, you'll need a team of decently talented 3d modelers, graphic designers, texture artists, mappers and a couple smart coders (all things that DP had in the very beginning). As the game companies have increased the quality of their engines, I think it became much harder for independant mod teams to make a release without working full-time at it. Either that or all the kids spend their time making flash games and facebook apps these days intead of getting into modding.

lhs_azevedo

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
I do not care to wait. The game currently has an very old appearance, and the maps... I think in a totaly new game from scratch, new interface. Maybe continue with the game now is not a waste of time and not think it's very difficult to create a new game (I know it's hard!). Look, Paintball 2 is a great achievement.
There's only one important thing, the user must be able to play PaintBall 3 even without Quake installed.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:28:55 PM by lhs_azevedo »

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
Either that or all the kids spend their time making flash games and facebook apps these days intead of getting into modding.
Haha yeah. Everyone nowadays have dreams of making facebook / iphone / android apps with hopes of making some money off of them.  I know Knack and Viciouz have posted about an engine released as an idea, but has anyone even heard of any games being built on it. If so, links? I'm just interested to see what they're doing.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:59:13 AM »
 I dont think this games old looks should be taken as a curse. Many people play this because of the nostalgia and the game being so low weight and low demanding.

lhs_azevedo

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »
I think he should have a more user-friendly and "happy" interface but you could change the theme at any time and create one too. The weapons also could be more detailed.
The physical had to be more realistic (for some maps) to look more like paintball and not kangaroos playing.
You could also select an option "Low Res Textures"

Did not need to end the current game, it would be an alternative for those who have better computers.

Remember: Paintball 2 would still be there for all!

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
 Speaking of menus...

Maybe it would be cool if jits would abandon the conventional menu system (just words: play, options, quit) and instead it would be paintball themed... Kinda like what a q3 mod smokin guns did: http://timetravellers.planet.ee/stuff/smokinguns.jpg I wrote on the icons what the buttons do.

Could put some paintball equipment on PB's menu or whatnot.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
I never really liked the smoking guns menu. The PB2 menu has already been remade once (very early on like build 3 or something, most people won't remember how terrible Q2's was). I can see why there wouldn't be much motivation redo it a second time.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new hud, and config file support for custom huds. I took a shot at porting the hud code from warsow to pb2 a couple years ago thinking I could do it in a few days, but determined it would be easier to write one from scratch.

A big -1 for "realistic" physics. For me the movement of this game has always been the single biggest attraction and can take years to master. I'm constantly impressed by the evolution of jumps, seeing stuff that wasn't thought to be possible for the first time.. and then seeing most clans being able to pull them off in matches just a couple months later. It's about the only thing keeping old maps fresh.

On the other hand, I could see a speedball gamemode being popular with the newer players and people trying to find a paintball simulator. Kill the strafe jumping, slow down player speed, maybe add in sliding and a stamina bar. HLDP was actually not too bad, it just never quite have the polish and the gameplay needed some fine-tuning.
Speedball maps would be super easy to make, just drag and drop a few prefab bunkers onto the screen and mirror.. stuff that could probably be done within the game itself or even changed dynamically on the server. Imagine being able to export a bunker layout to a text file, uploading it to the server and have a unique map for a speedball tournament.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
A new server setting that -s2k. has been playing around with (we consider it a new game-mode) is air-acceleration. It provides a completely different gameplay and requires learning strafing and jumping in a whole new way, very fun and fresh. If anyone wants to play around with it or match on it, just let -s2k. know and we are willing... It's certainly a step away from the normal boring matches nowadays, and a great laugh.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
air acceleration sucks imo - it's disadvantage for people who are shooting on some player and with these settings they can't figure out the place of their landing at the end of a jump.
I'm also against killing the strafe jumping which xbain has mentioned. The physics are ok now, there's just problem with pb2's appearance.

domic

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »
In my opinion it seems horrible,you can see it on that picture where is the tree, and that menu which is down, seems horrible too,I like more the version what we play ,and I hope we all are content with it :):) "

GohanOneKnife

• Stingray
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »
i think we all play digital paintball 2 cause it oldschool is. no need for make paintball 3.0

lhs_azevedo

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
I'd love a new paintball and if they create a new paintball, the current remain there for who want to play. Just as there are people who play because it's oldschool, there are people who do not play.
Forget what I said about the physics, the game was equal but with more detailed graphics.
See NPPL Championship Paintball 2009 (not out for PC):

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 01:06:17 AM »
 Those guys are milking those players who are interested in real life paintball.

I dont think that majority of this games population is interested in real life paintball. So all this reality bullexcrement is not called for :p. Might be wrong though.

I mean, this is a great game, it is violence free, there is skill needed in movement besides aiming, there is an chance for active competitive scene. Much potential imo.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
I dont think this games old looks should be taken as a curse. Many people play this because of the nostalgia and the game being so low weight and low demanding.

Many people? I hardly can find a half full pub most days.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »
Heh, I actually played Q3pball LAN with friends before I knew what DP was. I didn't even make the connection between the two games until I had been around for a while.

^ played on that map

lhs_azevedo

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
Heh, I actually played Q3pball LAN with friends before I knew what DP was. I didn't even make the connection between the two games until I had been around for a while.
It's best?

ramayana

• Stingray
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »
No, no, no... looks bad for me. DP2 has "something"... it could be very nice game but it isnt just popular.