Author Topic: Poll: DP2 Map review site  (Read 1674 times)

PLazTiC

• PGP
Poll: DP2 Map review site
« on: August 04, 2003, 04:40:33 AM »
Hi all,

I was wondering if the DP2 community would be interested of a map review site?

Here's the idea in general:

Give the mappers access so they could submit their work, map, info and screen shots.

A team (handful) of skilled mappers could write a short saying about the map, prons and cons. At the same time, the map would be put into rotation on the server for a week or two, (Together with more maps that's up for review.) and at end of the week there would be a public rating of the map or something similar.

This could drop dead, I know, that why I need feedback and support from the community about this project.

\plaz

(You are more than welcome to hit reply and give me some feedback, ie: yes/no)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 11:38:22 PM by PLazTiC »

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Poll: DP2 Map review site
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 04:49:23 PM »
YES!
But, it would be a teeny bit useless. The only servers people play on are the public servers.(Take down the rest!), and they only use a few maps, so why would people want to know about maps they would never ever play???

*whew* :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 04:49:57 PM by eiii »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 05:08:42 PM »
Well, it would be nice for this to act as a buffer between the mappers and the servers, that way if a mapper submits a map and it needs some fixing up, the mapper can fix it up before it makes it to the server, rather than putting an incomplete map directly onto the server like is done now.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 01:18:51 PM »
Yes

eR33t is willing to supply the resources if there's someone who can do a decent site design for the review site.  It'd probably just be best to catch me in #pbdev on ETG to discuss it further.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 02:14:20 PM »
Another good resource, for when the time comes, would be bot path files.  I'd like to make it so that bots can learn from players and follow different paths from base to flags.  This means each map will require a couple hours of "training" to get the bots "familiar" with all the possible routes to and from each area of the map.  I'd also like to make location file support (for both bot and human recon).  So having all that kind of stuff as well as maps (including textures, scripts, and whatnot) and preview screenshots/reviews would be a great resource.  I'm hoping maybe things will pick up a bit and we'll get more servers and players so that that kind of resource will be essential.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 05:36:07 PM »
I have location file support as well a nice ignore command compatible with funnames in my home-brew of build 3.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 08:46:33 PM »
How do you have location files set up to work?

PLazTiC

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 12:19:35 AM »
Yes

eR33t is willing to supply the resources if there's someone who can do a decent site design for the review site.  It'd probably just be best to catch me in #pbdev on ETG to discuss it further.

Well, Im pretty much set with the site resources.
I was going for a mySql & phpnuke solution since it's
very easy to customize.

I have a friend who does webhosting and it seems he's willing to sponsor the space and bandwitdh.

When it comes to DP2 servers, I think it would be wise to have more than one. Since I live in Sweden, Europe the ping times usually is 250+ to the servers in
the US. So if eR33t is willing to supply a server, it would be great.

Hi, would just like to let everyone know that I will be holding a clinic focusing on the creation of .ent files on Tuesday July, 15th at 7:00pm EST in #pbcup

Stuff like this is valuble info that should be compiled into a faq/tutorial.

Thats all I can think of right now ..

\plaz