Author Topic: Sassault IV - The Final Showdown  (Read 9596 times)

JeongWa

• Autococker
Re: Sassault IV - The Final Showdown
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 04:48:58 AM »
OK thanks

CheMiCal

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »
and on FR4G servers u gotta type beta/  first

Promaster

• Stingray
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »
this map makes me dizzy just by lookin at it

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 10:41:57 PM »
finally!!!! ffs!!! took you and dt only 3 years!! Good map. Can't wait to play.

selda

• Map Committee
  • Stingray
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
ONLINE:
-[4fo] Speed server
-[4fo] Private server
Really nice map  ;)

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
Looks good Cusoman. Interested to see how it will actually play once people start to match on it.

cokecola

• PGP
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »
Yea cusoman it is very good keep making them

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 11:25:26 PM »
This looks like another map you had in beta, but I can't remember the name of it.  Now it's bugging me.  I guess that one needs to be removed?

I didn't look at this one thoroughly, but it has a lot of the same issues:
- The water feels out of place and is just an annoyance.  I don't think it adds anything to the map.  People just splash through it repeatedly in the middle, and it sucks if you fall down in the base.
- It would be nice if there was a ladder up to the bridge near the base and some other paths could stand to be more new player friendly.
- Plank textures don't really make sense when there are multiple planks on a single board, plus some of the sides need to be rotated.

New to this map:
- The ramp jump to the post thing you can climb is kind of annoying - really easy to just hit your head.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
The mapping craze continues!

I had partially completed a beta 3 of this awhile back.  Fixed it up the last few days. It has good solutions to a lot of the issues brought up back when it was released.  I like how it turned out because I didn't have to change much.  The little changes add up :)

I'm looking to finish this as well, so any feedback is appreciated :)

Enjoy!

- Cusoman (and DirtyTaco ;) )

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 01:08:20 AM »
don't see much of a difference except you added a ladder in case you fall off by one (which i dislike, i feel like if you fall in you should be screwed) and that shrine by 2. oh and the ramp by fd.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »
We matched on it the other day. Can't say I had any complaints about the map. Hopefully you don't ruin it.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
Yeah I got to match on it too... 5on5. I like it, I just think there are too many routes.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
the map i just downloaded was different then the one we played i thought..

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 06:51:22 AM »
Glad to see that you're also working on this older map again. Cool map, too :)

The biggest problem for me is still the mid area. I've lots of troubles with lags there, I don't have on other maps with around 3.000-4.500 wpoly. I'm not sure why, it's the same with the ice mid of prolandr (around 500 wpoly). Maybe it's a problem with my old pc. Normally I play with around 30 FPS on most of the maps. In the mid of this map I've around 12-16 FPS with reflectivewater and around 18-22 FPS without reflectivewater.

The improvements I could figure out are very nice and helpful.

Most of the plank textures are still misaligned. Might be easier to use a different texture for the single boards like jitspoe already mentioned.

I'm wondered, that no one mentioned before, that the barrels are too big. So the alignment of the top and bottom textures doesn't really fit.

If you climb up the ladder between the flags too slow, you can get blocked at the top of it. Would be cool if you could add a ladder clip brush there.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta!

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 05:20:44 PM »

The biggest problem for me is still the mid area. I've lots of troubles with lags there, I don't have on other maps with around 3.000-4.500 wpoly. I'm not sure why, it's the same with the ice mid of prolandr (around 500 wpoly). Maybe it's a problem with my old pc. Normally I play with around 30 FPS on most of the maps. In the mid of this map I've around 12-16 FPS with reflectivewater and around 18-22 FPS without reflectivewater.

Compare b3 to b2, and you may find your fps slightly higher.  I used lots of smart (and dumb) func_walls to help stop the triangle breakup, but the impact was rather minimal.  My testing only showed a 5-10 fps increase, and about a 500 wpoly decrease. Based on what you said about your computer, the fps increase for you would probably only average around 1-2 :/  The only way to improve this would be to take out the water (which I won't do :P ) or change the layout (which I also won't do :P )  Buy a new computer!

I will look into fixing all the texture errors for the next beta (or final) and I will see what I can do about fixing the fps in the mid :)
Thanks for all the feedback!

- Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why are you so dead set on using water in this map?  It looks really out of place, in my opinion, and it sounds really annoying every round as practically every player splashes through it in the middle.

The improvements are good, but it's still easy/annoying to hit your head on the bottom of the pole ladder thing, especially since that's now about the only place you can fall through to the water under the base, so not only do you miss the jump, but you have to make a 30 second detour.  Seems like that pit is there just to add unnecessary frustration.

Edit: Also, not a fan of the fact that trick jumps are required to get to the second flag.  It just seems like an unnecessary widening of the gap between new and skilled players.  Veteran players can just skip across while new people get stuck in the water.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 04:00:17 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why are you so dead set on using water in this map?  It looks really out of place, in my opinion, and it sounds really annoying every round as practically every player splashes through it in the middle.

Cuso use LAVA!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 10:52:10 PM »
Deathtrap was the name of the other one!  I must have missed chef-killer's post, but it popped up in rotation on the beta server.  I guess that one's dead now?