Author Topic: Sassault IV - The Final Showdown  (Read 9590 times)

cusoman

• Autococker
Sassault IV - The Final Showdown
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
Sitting in his room, with his head hung low
Staring at his screen, was an elitist show.
Heard the roar on vent, he could picture the scene
Put his head to the monitor, then like a distant scream
He saw one map, just blew him away
Had stars in his eyes, and the very next day

Found a mapping tool, on a download site,
Didn't know how to use it, but he knew for sure,
That one corded mouse, felt good in his hands,
Didn't take long, to understand.
Just one mouse, slung way down low,
Was a one way ticket, only one way to go

So he started mappin', ain't never gonna stop
Gotta keep on mappin', someday gonna make it to the top

And be a map-ping hero,
got stars in his eyes,
he's a map-ping hero,
It took one mouse,
Map-ping hero,
(stars in his eyes)
Map-ping hero,
(stars in his eyes)
He'll come alive tonight

Sassault IV - The Final Showdown

Features 2 flags per base, and sand ^^

DirtyTaco & Cusoman

******EDIT******
BETA 2 IS OUT: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20432.0;attach=7467

Get it. ;)

********EDIT 2*************
BETA 3 IS OUT: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20432.0;attach=8984

Get it :D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:23:08 PM by cusoman »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Sassault IV - The Final Showdown
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
epic excrement.

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »
Looks cool

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
Online and in the rotation from: [OTB] Beta - 83.169.4.183:22222

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »
Looks good, but i miss a structure.. too many confusing ways which ends in another way

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:34:16 AM »
Looks nice but I noticed 1 thing

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:02:09 AM »
cool one. Great job with the r_speeds. Fps is high ;), just on mid it's around 80, but it's ok. My pc sux.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »
i like this map i want it on server

JUICEY

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:09:59 AM »
this map is rlly nice. great job, and i love the mid speed theres 2 of em :)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »
Online and in the rotation from: [OTB] Beta - 83.169.4.183:22222

i like this map i want it on server

???

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:56:06 AM »
I believe this could be the best map you made the last time. It looks really cool, I should test the gameplay when i have enough time for it. The development from deathtrap to this map is very nice. Maybe some of the new ways are confusing, but most of them are very useful. I think you could add a way out of the water near the flag. Is there only one possibility with the ladder?

I hope you will allow me the following comparison. If not, I will delete the pics. I would like to see more maps like this, not always this maps with leaks, no lights,...

Old:                                                                            New:

But I can't agree with abnormal. More than 6.000 wpoly and 22-25 fps in the mid area isn't good for me and I can say that I have much lags on an empty server. Ok, my pc isn't the best one :P Maybe the r_speeds could be reduced as great as possible, but it's definitely not perfect and easy to play for me though. I don't know exactly, but doesn't need those sand textures higher ressources because of the phong shading? If they do, you can delete the value, when it looks ok after deleting.

For the next beta i found two things you should fix. At first, please align your wood textures ;) You have to rotate lots of separat faces. And now the glitches!? There are very much of them. I am almost sure that the glitches come from your hint brushes. Do they do? I don't know how (and if) you use them, but if you do, note that only one face should be hint and the other ones skip. Maybe you did that, I don't know how to see because I am not interested in decompiling your map :)

And now a look into the .bsp ;) I would add more spawnpoints. There are only 8. Make 8 for each team and I'm happy. I am hoping that it cares you how I feel :P

Also I found a general question (has nothing to do with this map) where you could be able to answer. There are two flags for each team. I saw this in almost all newer maps and I also made it. A few years ago, you could count those maps on one hand. When I think about it, I always asked me, why? Yeah, it needs more teamplay, more tactic, etc. That's nice for matches etc. On the other side, it's just an easy possibility for very campable maps. Didn't you recognize, that the complete structure of the maps isn't made well (campable) and this is not an easy way to fix it, it's the only way? Maybe you could help my brain to understand it. At the monent I am dreaming about a nice looking map with good gameplay (without ice and multispeedjumps) and only one flag, wich is hard to camp because of many short ways though; a base with useful ways in all directions. Waiting for spawns and then grabbing the flag etc. needs also teamplay, tactic, etc. I believe it needs even more tactic, because you can't easily grab another flag if one is getting camped. But could those "dreammaps" work any longer? I didn't see one for a very long time...

Back to the map, it's very nice and you should develop and improve it. Maybe my feedback can help you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:20:19 AM by Chef-Killer »

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »
I am going to fix up these errors and have a beta2 today:

Rotate Textures: I will do some of them but it takes too long so i will slowly change them through multiple betas.

VIS Errors: This is frustrating because these errors appeared in a earlier alpha and I had fixed them with proper hint brushes(skip on 5 sides).  I will just be more creative with hint brushes I guess.

r_speeds: Not sure how much more i can optimize the mid because its already hinted and has many natural VIS blockers ect.

@Chef-killer - You always have really nice in depth feedback :D  I find 2 flags moves pressure from base into the mid because if you fail to dominate mid you cannot properly defend 2 flags with numbers against you.

I will edit this post with beta2 :)

- Cusoman

***EDIT:
Alright here is beta2.  Really just a quick fix for the VIS errors.  Lowered the r_speeds by a small amount and fixed a few of the texture issues.  I added 2 spawns per side.

B3 to-do list:
-fix textures
-add 2 more spawns per side after watching game play and figuring out most used/fastest paths in and out of base.
-greatly reduce r_speeds in the mid
-lighting seems a little bland.  I will play around with shadows and maybe add some colored artificial lighting in the darker places.
-add clutter after watching game play

-Cusoman

EDIT 2:

I have not made an indoor map because they are prone to long narrow hallways and flat textures :D  Maybe I should try one....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:41:25 PM by cusoman »

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
Yes, that's correct. But many maps have bad placed 2. flags and/or horrible mid areas :)

Btw. I noticed that most/all of your maps are outdoor maps. Could you imagine to make an indoor map?

ip0d

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »
I have waited 1 year for this

Riddick

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 03:27:37 PM »
yea cuso's next project is a barnyard theme

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
JImmy i mean on all match server for get it x') not only on otb beta

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 05:17:36 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:45:14 PM by Dirty_Taco »

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 03:09:49 AM »
Okay okay this is enough i cant take it no more ! meddling cuso u stole my map !?!?!?? i mean WTF DUDE i HAD THIS EXACT SAME MAP THEN I SEE THAT SOMEONE STOLE IT FROM MY DESKTOP AND IT WAS U ? MAN OMFG

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 04:20:26 AM »
JImmy i mean on all match server for get it x') not only on otb beta

try newmap beta/sassault4_b1 / b2 on otb match servers newcigarette.