Author Topic: public conversion of a classic requested.  (Read 2148 times)

eugenics

• Stingray
public conversion of a classic requested.
« on: April 17, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
i doubt anyone will want to help, but is anyone capable
and willing to convert this classic quakeworld paintball map
into a dp2 map?

if not, will someone who has the conversion tools msg me,
i will try to convert it on my own?

there use to be a bsp 2 map tool jit or fryth made, i just
cannot seem to find it. it pretty much was a one shot deal
minor edits needed on ents though, that's about it.

Update : better walkthough of quakeworld paintball AND
mecca indoor arena =) finally got qlqw to run good, 1000
fps too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLGn8kxH41I

enjoy! :-D

i apologize on the low fps walk through, but quakeworld
doesn't run well on win 7 64 bit. (and yes children, this is
what us old timers played before there was  digital paint)

also, the black and purple gun is the auto mag, the silverish
one is the auto cocker and they both kicked major ass
compared to the guns in dp2.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:40:16 AM by eugenics »

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
Re: public conversion of a classic requested.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:33:46 AM »
Lol, nice crossballs ;)

I think that wouldn't be to hard to convert, it look's like an easy made map without lot's of details. As I posted anywhere in the last time, the gameplay and structures of maps changed a lot in the last years. There are many maps with two flags, many speedjumps, ice, etc. and not many new "normal" maps. I don't really like it, but you should ask yourself if those kind of map will be still played before spending time in converting an old map. Maybe you or somebody else will only waste useful time ;)

Btw, the programm you are asking for is winbspc. Here is a link: ftp://otb-server.de/pub/BSP%20-%20Map%20Editor/ But I don't like it to decompile maps (and make horrible newer ones; make your own map!) and I also don't know if it's allowed to decompile this one.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:20:09 AM by Chef-Killer »

eugenics

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
Lol, nice crossballs ;)

I think that wouldn't be to hard to convert, it look's like an easy made map without lot's of details. As I posted anywhere in the last time, the gameplay and structures of maps changed a lot in the last years. There are many maps with two flags, many speedjumps, ice, etc. and not many new "normal" maps. I don't really like it, but you should ask yourself if those kind of map will be still played before spending time in converting an old map. Maybe you or somebody else will only waste useful time ;)

Btw, the programm you are asking for is winbspc. Here is a link: ftp://otb-server.de/pub/BSP%20-%20Map%20Editor/ But I don't like it to decompile maps (and make horrible newer ones; make your own map!) and I also don't know if it's allowed to decompile this one.

you had to be there to of loved it. maps like this force players to acutally play instead
of jumping around at 300 mph going for flags and nothing else. this is a indoor
paintball arena map. old school style, a mapper contacted me last night and didn't like it
at first. but with a few moments, he got into it and may even update it for dp, so
you guys who like jumping and not paintball, you'll be happy too.

just wait, its gonna be CC's match map, i'll force em to play it, its great classic that
should never die.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
you had to be there to of loved it. maps like this force players to acutally play instead
of jumping around at 300 mph going for flags and nothing else.

I agree

I would like to play it

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »
I should write my opinions better in the future. Second weird post in two days :P

It's not that I don't like this map. I don't like the newer speedjump, ice, 4flags maps ;)

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:36:42 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:45:06 PM by Dirty_Taco »

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »

Nope, not winbspc.

MapConvert.zip
Paintball 1 to Paintball 2  Map Converter - Just run it with the path of the quake1 paintball .map file as a parameter, and it will create a new version of your map which should be almost totally converted for DP, as oldmap_q2.map. Undoubtedly your map will have a few unconverted textures, as the DP texture list is not as versitile as quake1's. Simply add any custom textures you have with the q1 and q2 names into the textures.dat file and rerun the program to fix those textures. Anyways, it takes a LOT of the work of conversion away from you, just minor touchups.

I think I found it here: http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/planetquake/captured/digitalpaint/MapConvert.zip
Can't download "gaming software" from where I'm at currently, so I don't know if it's good.

I think the biggest reason to use this is because it rescales the brushes to fit Q2 better. I guess without the original .map, you'll still need something like winbspc.