Author Topic: Lets take a look...  (Read 10368 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
Lets take a look...
« on: June 26, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »
So, whenever a person has a clever idea which can help this game, they try to get it in feature requests; which, to me seems like a procrastination techinique. Things get pushed there, they build up and get ignored. Some of the top features on the list have been there for what, 1+ years. So what's the purpose?

Now, I understand that this has been attempted and whatnot, but Jitspoe does not have much free-time on his hands so the community should try to help out. Unforunately he doesn't take any help from newer players, only the older players seem the get anywhere. But anyways, we can try... hopefully he looks at this. I'm sure everyone has some kinda skill in one of the topics I mention, and we can see what everyone can come up with. This is a topic for you to either add other stuff or post your stuff. Somebody could make another thread for each specific category I suppose.

1- Standard HR4 pack OR an hr4 enabled on download.
*Allows newer players to enter viewing a nicer looking game
*Everyone has the same textures
*Should be very usefull in retaining players
-Everyone: If you have made an hr4 pack, or some nice textures, post them. Include where you found all your textures/or what you used to make them-

2- Easier/Nicer game menu's
*Allows new players to understand better
*More appealing to new and old players
-Everyone: If you know anything about this and want to help out, post examples of some menus that you'd be willing to give.

3- Website layout
*Not a large importants, but maybe an update
-Maybe post an example of what it could have to make it more modern looking?

4- Models
*Create and post player models/item models/tree models to replace current ones.
Difficult, but the current ones could use some updating, if you can make some show it to everyone

5- Tutorial
*If somewhere easily accessed, new players can view and understand the basics instantly
Skylines is a good example - make a tutorial and maybe if one is very good we can get it posted on the front page of the website? Allows new players to see it

6- Make some parts open source
*Allows the coders in the community to put some neat additions to the game
*Alot of new features from the feature vote list could be done through this
Jitspoe doesn't have a lot of time, so this would help make things happen

7-  Mapping
*Actually take your time before releasing. Don't clutter the forums with a thousand maps that you know wont be played
*Request help from a more experienced mapper/ ask people other then clanmates what they think about it before.
Stops people wasting time viewing an unlit map that wont ever get played

8- Create a wiki
*Makes this so everyone can add to?
*Allows new players to understand basics
*Allows anybody to find scripts etc..
Since Sk89q's went down, I think kyuuchi was working on one

There's plenty of things the community can do to help the game. Things like: making crosshairs or running tournaments or running servers help keep the game going too. Since Jitspoe does not have much time, the community needs to actually do some stuff. Buttt then we realize, will the work go to waste? Or will Jitspoe finally accept the help? It's annoying only seeing sounds changed in every build, why not something noticeable?

kazee

• Stingray
Re: Lets take a look...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
myers, theres wayy too much information in this post for one to read,. i got bored after the first paragraph.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »
I was thinking about making a Strafe video where it shows which keys were being pushed when. But I never got around to it and I couldn't find anything to help me record the key strokes in a 'movie' type way.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:32:22 PM »
myers, theres wayy too much information in this post for one to read,. i got bored after the first paragraph.

Then this thread is clearly not for you.

That does not make it a bad thread.

Sklenda

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »
Hi
I wonder if anyone will actually take seriously this thread

1- Standard HR4 pack OR an hr4 enabled on download.
*Make better textures (someone who's working in RL with graphic can do it)

2- Easier/Nicer game menu's
*It would be best if this page will be able to download the old menu / new menu
.. "New menu" means a menu created by gamers (no by jitsponeonen s.r.o.)

3- Website layout
*Just give page WHITE backround ,if everyone see this dark blue he thinks : its sh.t game

4- Models
*Just return back oldmodel(s) and give players choice if they wanna own logo on dress or not :P

5- Tutorial
*Let's make a tutorial in 5 languages.
(English, German, French, Czech, Polish or other)
,because how I see players do not understand every word what someone says

6- Make some parts open source (I don't know if I understand this..)
*sure let game snowing,shining,raining :) let player c-walking (crouch script) etc. And everyone with weak pc is dead.

7-  Mapping
*Just make models (boxes, some rock,grass,hills.. for example hill on pforest) for easy mapping (but who would like to do it, no one .. and I do not know how on it)

8- Create a wiki
*sure

and one question:
Why do the Germans have their own forum and Brazilians Azerbaijans Czechs Russians Hungarians Finns Frenchs not?

.... additional questions are not permitted, because I will get a ban for my opinion ....

my english is bad but u can try this for help

goodbye :)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 04:33:45 AM »
3- Website layout
*Not a large importants, but maybe an update
-Maybe post an example of what it could have to make it more modern looking?

I have made a different "theme" for the DP Homepage. I don't believe jitspoe ever took a look at it, but here's the link for the discussion topic
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=20246.0

8- Create a wiki
*Makes this so everyone can add to?
*Allows new players to understand basics
*Allows anybody to find scripts etc..
Since Sk89q's went down, I think kyuuchi was working on one

I've been posting and adding stuff to the current Wiki we have, but I can't remember the link because theres no access to find the Wiki other than using the search function in our forum.. So maybe jitspoe should add a link at the top saying "Wiki" for easier access..

@Sklenda,
I guess Germans have their own sub forum because the Germans are more "grown-up" and mature rather than Czechs, such as yourself, trabos (person who got banned for 1000+ days) and other offenders who are czech will just completely turn it into an abuse section. Plus, jitspoe probably can't find a Czech moderator who is mature enough to keep the forum under control.

Sklenda

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:51:39 AM »
@Sklenda,
I guess Germans have their own sub forum because the Germans are more "grown-up" and mature rather than Czechs, such as yourself, trabos (person who got banned for 1000+ days) and other offenders who are czech will just completely turn it into an abuse section. Plus, jitspoe probably can't find a Czech moderator who is mature enough to keep the forum under control.

That's right,I forgot Czech's are too dumb for work on forum.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 05:23:26 AM »
That's right,I forgot Czech's are too dumb for work on forum.
lololol that made my day. 

• A proper wiki (pretty please run by mediawiki) sprung to my head earlier when Myers was talking about this post.  To save newbies coming on IRC and hoping someone will answer, have the community build up a moderated wiki in as many languages possible.  It'd give them detailed explainations on their issues, and save us from repeating the answers on the forums when they don't search.
  • Mapping areas, I want mapping moderators, to actually clean out the excrement maps that enter the forums these days.  Yeah, people have to begin somewhere, but can we move the decent in progress maps into another subforum thats worth looking at?  I used to like looking at peoples creations, but most aren't worth looking at now.
  • I don't mind the website much, but maybe a more helpful home page?  Also updated screenshots.  Build 8 was years ago...
  • Menus can be done by the community, just needs to be implemented.
  • HR4, yeah, it would be good by default, or on download.  Community can do it again, someone could make a thread and have everyone submit texture packs for a select few people to pick from to create a standard good hr4 pack.
  • Tutorial would be great, as you get newbies wondering how people 'fly' and 'speed' around the map, due to strafing.  Also, a tutorial on how to setup your DPLogin account on paintball using the profile thing, because that confuses many.
  • Models, yeah they are a laugh, they don't bother me that much though.  Could use a little updating so that they look like they're jumping when your jumping, running when running, etc.
  • Breaking the source code.  I'm sure devs could take advantage and do something neat with it if i'm not wrong?

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
Now that's one good and constructive thread!

I've made several models, they are good, I'm really proud of some. Converting them from smd to skm/skp is mostly a pita and doesn't work half of the time, and blender md2 exporter is somewhat not working for me, yet I can deal with it most of the time I create a model. The only problem is making textures for them - to anyone, if you can do it and you are willing to, contact me wherever.

Here are some examples of what I can make:

Hope there is at least one person who will make some use of these - I worked on these models to actually see them in maps!

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 12:16:11 PM »
I like the sheel, the third bottle looks also very nice. Maybe I could use them.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
As far as it goes for shell, there should be no problem with skm/skp model (just need a texture for it, on the screen there's a blender material put, and light is in such position it looks as if texture wasn't one colour). The bottle, however, is probably impossible to be implemented in dp - transparent texture + letter inside, doubt skm/skp is capable of handling these (on sshot there is also blender material, for every element, that is the bottle itself, the letter and the cork).

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 06:29:31 PM »
After going around looking for a new gamer with a more active community to play, I noticed a few things that differ in those. The main thing, their site is more... attractive... less useless stuff... their screenshots pages are ment to make the game look nicer. I actually saw Digital Paint: Paintball 2 on a few sites... and it had screenshots of old models and stuff... Really makes it look bad. When i'm looking for a new game I base it off - youtube vids and screenshots - but anyways, here's my 2 cents on making the website more attractive - i'll be posting my hr4 texture pack here later on tonight too. -- I realize this is getting more or less offtopic as it's less of the community doing stuff... well I guess its opinion from a community member...

1st - More then blue and white might be nice... might be nice to not look so... old? and attempt to draw a younger audience as thats the bulk of the people who would wanna play games.
2nd - Screenshots page needs updating, put nicer looking maps [basically DT and Cuso maps] also maybe have some tabs in screenshots like... ACTION|MAPS|GUNS|MODELS|MENUS -- let people see everything so its no surprise... make the ingame look less old too... but thats a different thing to talk about.
3rd - a banner at the top

There's obviously plenty more, but I am not in a thinking mood!! I'd like to see trailers and tutorials tossed up, and nicer login screen on the site, but it'd take to long to explain. Anyways, not likely anything we do will be implemented anyways.

EDIT: Found what I was looking for -- http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=20246.0 -- Good thread Kyuuchi -- It gets compared to other games etc...

Our site looks really boring, our screenshots are outdated, our menus are boring, the starting textures are garbage.... Yeah, we're going to draw people in.

EDITEDIT: http://digitalpaint.comli.com/ -- I realize most wont look at the thread, so that was kyuuchi's example he posted. It's already more appealing, Blue and White went out of style brah.

EDITEDITEDIT: http://digitalpaint.org/screens.html -- nuff said.

Now something other then the website:

http://www.banterous.co.uk/

Viciouz made that for the community to use, people making videos giving demo's to somebody to make video's should use this. Using say, rapidshare and whatnot gets it to the person, but this way it stays up and anyone can watch it. The website retrieves info from the server and puts it up so everyone knows what they are downloading. This way people don't have to pm saying 'Hey can I see a demo of yours? I wanna get better' they could just view the site. Maybe putting something like this into this website? A demo sharing area? And I don't mean a subforum of demo requests -.-

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
I think we should still keep the build 001 screenshots, but compare them to build 30 ones. This way players can see how DP has "upgraded" or constantly being developed and they'll know there's always something to look forward to.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »
me too but gj

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
-People may hate this or love this idea, but I think even maybe a section for jumping could be included. If you look at the server list right now, the jump servers are almost always the most crowded. Even if this is not what the game was meant to be used for, it could still draw in more new players if this aspect was at least minimally included in the site. Even if they start the game only to do the jumping maps, they would eventually at least try the shooting part and maybe enjoy it.

-I think the site is probably more important to update before the game itself. This is what people see when they are about to download the game and it can really influence whether or not they actually download it or not. Even if the game is absolutely amazing, a bad website would force people to think that the game was on the same level.

-Not putting the hr4 textures into the game is also a big issue. It really would not be extremely difficult to offer a menu when you are setting up the game whether to default to high or low res textures. Besides, if your computer cannot handle 128x128/256x256 instead of 64x64, it probably will struggle to play the game anyways. And, most of the maps the regularly played have a fairly low r_speeds, which is what makes the game lag for people anyways.

-Open sourcing at least parts of the game would be a critical step to making it better. If you look at many of the upper echelon games, the modding community is what absolutely drives it to be at that next level of play. If something new and exciting is constantly coming out, people would be much more likely to stay.

-Getting rid of some of the old bans. This is another one that is going to be up to debate, but many of the older players that I used to play with since I started in 2002 cannot even access the game anymore. While these players definitely did something wrong, they were a huge part of making the game what it is today. I think some of these older bans should really be considered for removal. Even some of the newer bans, like with the whole myers and chemical etc. While they did do something wrong, the ban length was pretty ridiculous and it kills the game for some of the most active players.

-The forum needs to be cleaned up drastically. It's lovely that there are so many different parts to it, but some of them are just a little ridiculous to have. Either that or their content has gotten so far out of hand that it just seems okay to just post whatever people feel like. A few extra moderators for that would be nice to have and make everyone's job a bit easier.

-The site lacks sections that it should have. I know how easy it is to add a section to the site that would organize all the guides/tools/maps/textures/models/ anything else, but right now they are scattered across the forum and site which makes retrieving them a real pain.

-Most of these problems stem from Jits being one person. It just isn't realistic to expect one person to be able to change all of these things. If we want the game to grow, the work needs to be spread out more than it is now.

-Ace

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
I wanted to start a wiki on my site.  Don't have too much time to work on it so if anyone wants to help let me know.

• A proper wiki (pretty please run by mediawiki) sprung to my head earlier when Myers was talking about this post.  To save newbies coming on IRC and hoping someone will answer, have the community build up a moderated wiki in as many languages possible.  It'd give them detailed explainations on their issues, and save us from repeating the answers on the forums when they don't search.
I will look into mediawiki.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
Webhead was getting a mediawkik thing set up, but then he disappeared.  I'll see if I can track him down.  Maybe what he's done could at least serve as a starting point.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
Yeah Mediawiki looks simple enough.  Once I sort out the problems with my webserver I will get my websites moved over and start the wiki.  If Webhead still has some of the content from his that would be awesome.

Chalk

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »

-Not putting the hr4 textures into the game is also a big issue.

This is a great example of something that can be done by the community. Jehar from #tastycast made his own q2kicker that he has on his website for new players to download. It's just an archive that has the clean quake 2 installation and some extra files that he feels are necessary for new players.

-Make a new folder with a CLEAN dp2 installation

-Download the hr4 textures, pcdp mod, some pro's configurations, dj + zoom binds , etc.  and put them in the new dp2 folder

-Put the folder in an archive so new players can just download it, extract it, and start playing.

-Give the download link to the new players that you're trying to get into the game, or put it on your website, youtube account, or wherever you feel like posting it.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 03:27:31 AM »
This is a great example of something that can be done by the community. Jehar from #tastycast made his own q2kicker that he has on his website for new players to download. It's just an archive that has the clean quake 2 installation and some extra files that he feels are necessary for new players.

-Make a new folder with a CLEAN dp2 installation

-Download the hr4 textures, pcdp mod, some pro's configurations, dj + zoom binds , etc.  and put them in the new dp2 folder

-Put the folder in an archive so new players can just download it, extract it, and start playing.

-Give the download link to the new players that you're trying to get into the game, or put it on your website, youtube account, or wherever you feel like posting it.

Just do it then?