Author Topic: Global Gamers DP League  (Read 54801 times)

Justinph5

• Autococker
Re: Global Gamers DP League
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »
I hope it's during the week cuz I don't play during the weekends :P

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
The map list is great. Having a single pool for all weeks is just like our current match scene. Everyone wants to always play the same maps over and over again. To me this makes it so boring. Try jumping in teamX's vent when we match. When we're asked for a map every member tries to come up with some random map they haven't played in forever just to make the match fun. It also allows less fortunate teams to have a chance. Hopefully the maps the teams must actually play are not announced until they show up to the server. That would make it fun. Hopefully the referee is the one who decides ALL maps to keep certain teams from picking the exact same ones over and over again.

Hopefully the match times are steady and given in a few days advance so you could quite possibly schedule to have time off of work for that particular day. If not then I would suggest building a large team to help make sure you have the minimum amount of players in the match regardless of the time.

Maybe Butta can chime in and answer these questions,

1) Who decides the maps played? When are they decided on? How early will the teams know?

2) How many players per team during a match? 4v4 I'm assuming?

3) Will the times of the matches be posted in advance?

4) Will there be a designated REF or a GG representative present to help keep the drama down?

5) Can you enact a rule where if one team has two separate instances where a teammate does not submit a demo, then the whole team id removed from the league? Here, there needs to be a time limit for demo submission. I would suggest taking advantage of Viciouz's demo host.

Thank you.  

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 04:20:18 PM »
League sounds good and maps seem fair.  I saw sassault4_b1 on the list, and suggest changing it to b2.  They are identical, except that b2 has a slightly less laggy mid and fixed vis errors that block vision in crucial areas.  A general question about beta maps: If the map is updated beyond the current version before the league begins, is it updated in the map list? How about during the league? Thanks in advance for the answers and the obvious hard work by all organizers involved :)

-Cusoman

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 04:22:48 PM »
6 players can be on the server, but how many players can play?

3 players at a time can play, but they can sub as many times as they wish as long as they all provide demo's and screenshot's of their playing time. Basically - As long as your registered to the team you can play at any time for that team.

What will happen, if both teams are not showing up?

A penalty will be handed out for both teams. It will result in a 50-0 loss on every map for both teams.

There are 5 maps each week. How many maps will be played? Can each team choose one/two map/maps from it? Or how does it work?

Each team picks their map [Yes both teams can pick the same map]. The tiemap is only used if both teams win a match, it's not a 3 map each time, its a best of 3.

Will the default match fixtures be on the weekend? Because i can't play in the middle of the night, if i have to work the next day.

The match fixtures will be between Wednesdays to Saturdays I believe, and each team will have 1 game per week. Since during the season americans and europeans do not play eachother, so the times in the season shouldn't be a problem.

Will the serverconfig based on the game's default settings (with guntemp, flagmustbeatbase, flagcapendsround,...)?

None of those will be enabled. It's pretty much a standard match server settings.

I hope I answered what you needed, all these and more will be put on the website!

EDIT: Responding to Flip

1- Each player choose their own map from the map pool. They are decided on anytime prior to the start. Both teams must inform the ref of the maps chosen. The teams will know as soon as they pick :)

2- It's 3v3 - 4 to 8 players can register as a team, but only 6 players from the same team can be in a server at once.

3- The schedule will be posted every Sunday so teams know their matchups for the following week. Also - Teams may change their scheduled match, but they must have both team captains[or co-captains] agree and inform an admin.

4- Yes, we will have a ref or GG rep present at each game. We're also turning off public chat.

5- A player who doesn't submit the demo cannot play in further league games until all demo's are submitted up to date. We don't punish the team, we punish the player.

League sounds good and maps seem fair.  I saw sassault4_b1 on the list, and suggest changing it to b2.  They are identical, except that b2 has a slightly less laggy mid and fixed vis errors that block vision in crucial areas.  A general question about beta maps: If the map is updated beyond the current version before the league begins, is it updated in the map list? How about during the league? Thanks in advance for the answers and the obvious hard work by all organizers involved :)

-Cusoman

We will constantly update the maps to their newest versions.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:59:42 PM by MyeRs »

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
We will constantly update the maps to their newest versions.

So zpar11_beta might get changed to zpar11_cuso ? :/

@Idias, I'm probably not going to play in the league so I'm not excited about zpar :(

FURYBANE

• PGP
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 01:21:21 AM »
The tourney is good but the most the servers have not had some of the maps  (GOOD LUCK) ;)

Delphi

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 05:44:10 AM »
You would need a better more objective team to look through peoples demos...
In my opinion there is no team needed for this.
I guess uploading the demo/ss will allready force people to do not hack because they are afraid someone finds out.
If demos are public after every match(which I support) anyone who is in the mind someone played suspicious can watch the demo on his own and if there is some strange play in the demo he can make a post about it. I see no problem here.

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59:13 AM »
"Hopefully the match times are steady and given in a few days advance so you could quite possibly schedule to have time off of work for that particular day."

LOL u serious ? D::D:D:D: u would skip work for dp2 :_DD_:f.,gh ÖLOPOLLOLgkrlgmfdPOROFL IM PJHENIX

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »
just so annoying to upload ur demo after each meddling match... there is a cheat detection system right ? so if someone hacks he iwll be banned eventually..

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
I guess I will not play in the tourney. If I have to deal with the same stuff that happens every time I match now what is the point? The maps should be random and decided by the ref. Allowing the teams to pick their own map is pointless. Make the teams work for it. If you punish the team then maybe peer pressure will kick in and eliminate some of the drama that is likely to ensue. If you make the team responsible for the players and subject them to be accountable for their teammates action then maybe the players who really want to play will stop hanging with the ones who choose to disrespect everyone else with their cheating.

I guess I was going out on a limb thinking that maybe Global Gamers creation of a league would  help our community, not keep it the same. The only difference here is that there is no need to even run a team tag.

Enjoy the tourney, Gentlemen and thank you GlobalGamers for setting it up.

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 08:55:40 AM »
There is no point in letting someone else choose the maps. why the hell random ? so worse teams can win by luck ? thats just dumb !

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »
Screenshots are easier as a quick reference.

You get prizes, we get demos and screenshots.

dont think anyone will play just to win stuff

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2010, 09:03:53 AM »
Luck? It is called game play. Most of the clans pick some random map noone has played in awhile or some beta map that no one is familiar with now anyways just to gain an edge. How would a worse team win by playing any map that is listed? Any map takes teamwork. All maps that can be picked by the ref are already listed. If you didn't know which maps would be selected it would require you to get familiar with all of them. In an essence it makes it a little more exciting and helps break out the monotony of what we experience everyday in the clan scene now.    

Rocky

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 09:07:12 AM »
still let everyone pick their own maps

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 09:27:21 AM »
Flip, I agree with you completely. One of the stupidest things bringing this game down is the inability of clans to play more than 3 maps. Thats wonderful, you can beat anyone on 3 maps, that doesn't mean you're good at this game. It gets boring playing the same clans on the same maps all day. That being said, I still think this tournament will help the game a lot.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 09:28:10 AM »
Hooks and content swap hacks can be toggled. One screenshot taken at the player's discretion will not likely help detect any cheaters. If there truly are smart cheaters that have been avoiding detection like everyone assumes, they are not going to be deterred or caught by the screenshot requirements.

I think some players might still notice a slight freeze whenever they do a screenshot (because the jpeg function takes a noticeable time to run and lags the game a bit). So requiring them to do it when they are alive could be problematic.

When I wrote the autodemo code, I also wrote another command that would force a screenshot on players at random times in the match and briefly draw some random stuff to their screen so that it could not (easily) be edited or faked after a match. This was abandoned because of the screenshot lag that many people were experiencing.

[speculation]You might be able to find a hidden screenshot function in the closed source portion that takes a screenshot and is supposed to upload it to a remote server, but maybe I'm mistaken (been years).[/speculation]

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but arent the screenshots just meant to show the final score, so no one tries to fake wins?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 09:36:45 AM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but arent the screenshots just meant to show the final score, so no one tries to fake wins?

I guess I misread it... but the rules aren't clear since they're no automatic endgame screenshot that takes place (unless that's something in a very recent build). If it's for reference only, what's the point of having 6-12 screenshots uploaded for each map of the match? They're not accurate anyway and if they wanted to do stats they would have to parse the stat logs.

Disciplining players that forget to take a screenshot before the map changes isn't very nice :(

If a player plays in any map, no matter how long, he must provide a screenshot and demo. If the player doesn't stay till the end of the game, he must get the screenshot and demo of when he played manually, as the automatic ending-screenshot won't be taken.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 09:38:16 AM »
I think the screenshots were just meant to have "evidence" of the final score. I think it's reasonable to expect that at least 1 out of 6 players will be smart enough to make one :)

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 10:11:09 AM »
The ref can provide a screenshot that shows the final score. If this was the only purpose, it'd be 1 member per team. The reason is to view textures, which we're currently working on being able to randomly take the screenshot once every map, and this would be the one which has to be uploaded. This saves the players 'forgetting' about taking it, and just makes them have to upload it as well, they wont know when it'll be taken.

Fl1p/Rewind: The same few maps do usually get played, but they usually get played for the reason of good gameplay. But this league has 42 different maps, the tiemaps are generic as they should be known and played by both teams. The pools have underplayed maps, pub maps, and a few maps that are used often. This provides each team with chances.

Anyways, it's impossible to please everyone with how the maps are done. If we said: pp1 s22 pforest, half the community would be thrilled, and have would be annoyed. If we did completely random, half the community would be thrilled, half would be annoyed. We figured this way, it pleases more of the community and it forces different maps which allows creativity.