Author Topic: [Feature Request] Sticky Smoke Grenades  (Read 2775 times)

Olbaid

• Autococker
[Feature Request] Sticky Smoke Grenades
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »
I probably use smoke grenades more than most players who match, but they aren't very effective because you can't exactly control where they end up.  It is especially hard to use on maps which have many slopes/variatons in them, which is typically all matching maps.

I suggest that there is a smoke grenade option, where it will stick as soon as it hits an object.  This way you can control where the smoke will emit from.  Beefing the time it smokes would also be beneficial.

Justinph5

• Autococker
Re: [Feature Request] Sticky Smoke Grenades
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
This would be beneficial to anyone who has a bind just to tell his team that he has a smoke grenade.  lol :P

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
This would be beneficial to anyone who has a bind just to tell his team that he has a smoke grenade.  lol :P

Lol, I just started busting out "The Enemy is Smoked" bind again.

cap0ne

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:58 AM »
Reminds me counterstrike

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:16:18 AM »
I suggest that there is a smoke grenade option, where it will stick as soon as it hits an object.  This way you can control where the smoke will emit from.  Beefing the time it smokes would also be beneficial.

Even a person? :D That'd be awesome.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
Yes, even a person.  Think about setting up a 3v1 with attaching a smoke grenade to one of your players, so he can go in first to try and distract.  LOL

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:33 PM »
This actually sounds like a fun idea. It would definintly change the game for the better.

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »
+1, Would improve gameplay and be fun.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »
Wow, fun idea. and lol at sticking it to a person haha +1

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
I went to add a quick solution to your problem by reducing how much smoke grenades bounce and increasing their friction, and then I realized the way the bouncing physics are calculated are is completely wrong.  I always thought grenades bounced funny and would unpredictably shoot off of angles at extreme speeds.  I've fixed this, so grenades in general should bounce in a physically correct manner and be easier to land in the correct location and behave more intuitively and consistently.  The smoke grenades will also have more friction and less bounce than other objects so they should be easier to land where you want them.  We'll revisit the idea of sticking grenades later if you feel this change is insufficient.

abnormal

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 04:26:15 AM »
I went to add a quick solution to your problem by reducing how much smoke grenades bounce and increasing their friction, and then I realized the way the bouncing physics are calculated are is completely wrong.  I always thought grenades bounced funny and would unpredictably shoot off of angles at extreme speeds.  I've fixed this, so grenades in general should bounce in a physically correct manner and be easier to land in the correct location and behave more intuitively and consistently.  The smoke grenades will also have more friction and less bounce than other objects so they should be easier to land where you want them.  We'll revisit the idea of sticking grenades later if you feel this change is insufficient.

you mean also the paint nades? These are all right in my opinion. But I agree with the smoke ones..

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »
Turns out the physics weren't really wrong... well not the bouncing, anyway.  Simply reducing the amount the smoke grenades bounce and adding more friction helps a lot, though.  I have the new version of grenades up on the EV1 pub server if you want to try them out.