Author Topic: Newmap : TDP  (Read 14204 times)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
Newmap : TDP
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:24:53 AM »
hi all, im back with a new map as beta_1 called the devils playground. its 2 teams, 2 flags. some textures are not alligned (mainly boxes) but ill do that with any other changes needed. hope you like it, blindy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dcxpm8qahug2q0m see below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:02:06 AM by bLiNdThInG »

SkaDooSh

• Autococker
Re: Newmap : TDP
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »
Post some screenshots :)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:57:46 AM »
yea sry i did try but it said that something of the same name had already been uploaded, so i renamed and tried again and then it said i had already post that post... :-\

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:00:13 AM »
the map --> :)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:37:21 AM »
:s I hate that sand texture, from above it looks the same all the way through and just makes my eyes go funny :/

sBi

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:55:24 AM »
  I think, that r_speeds in some place is very  hight --- 18 000 wpoly, 13 000 epoly .... this map is unplayable ... but i think, that it isnot bad map :-D

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:59:56 AM »
You need to VIS and LIGHT your map. Please do that always before releasing it.

And don't put a box around the map if it leaks. Find and fix the leak correct!

sBi is right. This map is unplayable at the moment.

I will give more detailed feedback after you have done a full export and fixed the leak correct. Pay attention for errors, warnings and other messages while compiling.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
there is no leak?!. ok fine ive put the wrong file out. anyway im already on beta 2 which has no sand, grass instead for u boring people xD. spawn points changed so it doesnt look so much like pp3. and the funny little func_train removed as it was causing high r_speeds. i havnt done any lighting yet obviously because it takes too long to export everytime so i want to get the layout of the map right before i do any of that, thx. u may notice that on that version of that map aswell only 2/3 of the maps is used as i left the sides on, but thats fixed already. i fink most people dont like the layout either and r_speeds why are they so high? whats so wrong with map?. ty.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 08:06:41 AM »
1. no VIS export in first beta, it's absolutely necessary
2. the big not used parts of the map
3. the box around the map?! The not used area under your map isn't good for r_speeds and should be fixed.
4. long open area, you can see from base to base, that's a bad structure
5. maybe a few more things I don't remember at the moment

Btw. make the boxes, barrels, planks, etc. detail for a faster export time.

cap0ne

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:29 AM »
Looks digital but awesome

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 04:41:06 AM »
thanks cap0ne :). beta 2 is ready for testing with many improvements although rpseeds are still too high ::)

cant upload here so...

http://www.mediafire.com/?bux9rmcs3n9j987

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 06:09:40 AM »
Reasons for still high r_speeds...

1. no VIS export in first beta, it's absolutely necessary
2. the big not used parts of the map
Done! Light is there, I hope full VIS too. OK now.

3. the box around the map?! The not used area under your map isn't good for r_speeds and should be fixed.
I hope you understood that, because here are very big unused parts. I will help you with three screenshots here.

This not used and useless room under your spawns is way to big. Delete them or make two smaller ones.

This is another very very big cave under your map. Maybe you don't see it very good because it's black, but look at the pic below (same place)...

...here you can see, that this room is under the whole map. The opening to this area are in lots of places your transparent textures without a sidebrush. "Box around the map" because I thought, that you wanted to fix a leak with this bad cave. Maybe there is another reason for it, but you have to delete it for lower r_speeds.

If you will have a leak after deleting this cave, you have to fix this leak correct. I saw that one sidebrush of this map is a few units to high. Search for black lines in your map or use the leak check and you will find it. Just make this brush bigger.

4. long open area, you can see from base to base, that's a bad structure
I know it's hard to avoid now. But try to find a sulotion for VIS blockers. Maybe you're lucky and could fix small parts with hint brushes. It's often more easy to think about the structure before beginning to map. Afterwards it's way more complicated

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 06:45:25 AM »
The grass looks much better. The map is very open and because of that there are lags on some places.
The second flag shouldn't have 5 points. 2-3 are enough.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 06:59:51 AM »
ok guys thanks for the comments, i'll fix all of that for beta 3. the reason why i put a box around was because there were so many leaks for some reason and i got fed up and boxed the map, but i'll get rid of any unused space. also about how you can see from base to base, i was thinking of stretching the map and making the mid alot bigger with some structure to block the line of sight...but i'll see wat i can do. ok, but how do i set the value of a flag? maybe 'value' '3' or 'points' '3'? . thx  :).

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 07:43:36 AM »
"count" ".6"

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 01:57:39 AM »
ok ive diverted a route to the base a little by blocking the line of sight hoping to reduce r_speeds, but instead by doing this the r_speeds are now even higher. can someone explain why this is because it doesn't seem to make any sense.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »
Sure, that's because of different exports types.

First screenshot is a full export (I think final compile)
Second screenshot is only qbsp (no VIS, no light)

Run a final compile for the new version.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »
i ran a final compile (high quality) and got and error MAX patches. ? the first screenshot is fastvisrad.bat.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 11:38:53 AM »
Ah ok, BSP stops the compile after the max patches error. It ends up in a normal qbsp export. You have to fix this error first.

1. Use final compile; not final compile (high quality) or fastvisrad (no full VIS couldn't reduce r_speeds as good as possible)
2. It's important that the box is deleted before compiling, because it makes too much useless surfaces bsp has to export
3. Scale up your textures (invisible textures like a base, sky, etc. could be 100.0 to 100.0, the rock and the gras maybe 2.0 to 2.0)

Try again...

4. Just if 1, 2 and 3 isn't enough to fix it, use another chop value while exporting

Post here if nothing could help you...

Sklenda

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:34 AM »
1. Use final compile; not final compile (high quality) or fastvisrad (no full VIS couldn't reduce r_speeds as good as possible)
Yea that's what I said to him in 1st beta on irc about compile.

Grass was my idea,but everyone will say same thing like me about that ground texture - it just looks better with grass...
And I was bored so I checked the .map file in BSP and it was just disaster how was map made ,but everyone is learning.
I was bad too in beginnings,now it's better ,so good luck blindy in next maps.
Bye