Author Topic: Newmap : TDP  (Read 14203 times)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
Re: Newmap : TDP
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 01:47:40 AM »
ye thanks sklenda. i have got rid of all caves etc. under and around the map so that should help and i'll run the final compile when i get back later, ty chefkiller for all your help.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
yeh it worked, i ran a final compile with no errors. the r_speeds are much better now and even from looking base to base isnt too bad. im just going to make a couple of changes before beta3 release.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 06:32:19 AM »
BETA 3

hi all again, after some modifications and improvements beta 3 is here. r_speeds are much better now and the map should be playable. i hope you enjoy it, here are some screenies. thx  :)

download - http://www.mediafire.com/?9m3cq5lzvaj5yvj

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 10:00:35 AM »
Much better now. The cave under the map isn't fixed 100% though.

One question left before I will post my more detailed feedback. Is the side with the red circles or the side with the green circles the correct one? It's different in many places.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »
eewww. that looks awful with those textures. but yea both sides are meant to be the same, i hadnt noticed but ill fix it for beta 4. ty.

(with the proper textures  ;) )its meant to look like...

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »
It's not because of my texture. I have this problem with all transparent textures :'(

I will start with the mapfile. You have a sky, so I would prefer a sun lighting instead of light entities (without a source). It looks way better. Just delete all light entities and add the following default keys/values to the worldspawn.

Code: [Select]
"_sun_light" "250"
"_sun_angle" "150 -34"
"_sun_ambient" "30"
"_sun_diffuse" "60"

There are very high walls in your map. I guess you have to use another (more high) angle for the sun. You can play with the second number.

Delete "value" "3" from the two second flags to fix the message while loading the map.

The rest looks good here. So I will come the the map itself now.

The reason that the cave under your map isn't fixed 100% are many small holes in your map. Some of them will be fixed if you have fit the ends of this transparent brushes. The other ones should be fixed for the next beta. Later I will show you a few screenshots that you can see where the holes are. I can help you if you can't find and fix the last ones. But try to fix it by yourself first. Maybe it will be helpful to delete all the brushes under the map, because you could use the leak check afterwards. Btw you can avoid this holes very easy, if you don't map with the <16 unit grids. Please don't shock me again with such a disordered map :P

Also there are lots of misaligned textures (all wood textures and all barrels; set all values for the rock texture to 0 to fix misalignments here) and missing brushes. I will add screenshots to show it, too. Have a look at the following textures though. The brown ring should be the lowest one.

Your barrel textures are not the same. But this doesn't make a big difference, they are misaligned ;). The barrels ingame has to look like the texture did. It's just easier to align with this textures maybe.

I think you know my opinion about second flags. Hmm...but it might be ok in this map. The placement could be a good choice.

The only thing I really hate are the spawnrooms. It would be more nice when the people would spawn all over the map/base and not in parts of maps, where the spawnrooms are easy to line. Remembers me on propaint. It's very boring sometimes...

And the biggest part with screenshots now (you have to fix the things on both sides of the map). You have to work a lot on this map. Sry that i don't post the screenshots here, but I don't want to upload so many files. I wrote the comments into the screenshots if necessary.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ehbdeso08onhqbd

I'm sure that this isn't all. Fix the things I wrote about and then I will have a look at this map again.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:22:45 PM by Chef-Killer »

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
i thought about using sun lighting but with such high walls etc. some areas will be left in darkness. also the reason for the spawn points the way they are is in an attempt to stop spawnkilliing which is really annoying and this way i think it does stop people always trying to spawnkill and i reli like the spawn exit so im not gonna change that. maybe i will put a spawn at the base or something. yes i know i always missallign barrels etc. but they look fine so i dont really see the problem, but ill fix just to keep you happy.  :)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »
Yes, the walls are very high. That's why I wrote you have to play with the angle.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »
after a long break from this , beta 4 is on the way, just tidying the map up at the moment. so release soonish.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 11:02:40 AM »
Nice, I hope you could fix all problems and misalignments :)

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 02:40:33 PM »
ill certainly try my best chefkiller, ino ur hard to please :)
oh and ive been playing around with the sun angle, but i cant seem to get it just right with the high walls etc. so wat angle would you suggest?

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »
BETA 4

So beta 4 here now, not alot has changed, mainly sun lighting. hopefully I would like to do 1 more beta before a finished map, as the map still has some lag issues and i'd like some suggestions on how I should try to deal with this. anyway here's b4, hope you like it, thx chefkiller and others for all the help to get this far :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?r87v015t374wutd

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »
some screenies  :)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 06:46:30 AM »
I'm not sure if the sky is allowed to use. Never seen it before.

In august I spent a lot of time for giving you a very detailed feedback, but you didn't work much on it. I won't waste my time again with a detailed feedback. You can send me the map if you want.

One of the reasons why this map has some lag issues...
The reason that the cave under your map isn't fixed 100% are many small holes in your map. Some of them will be fixed if you have fit the ends of this transparent brushes. The other ones should be fixed for the next beta. Later I will show you a few screenshots that you can see where the holes are. I can help you if you can't find and fix the last ones. But try to fix it by yourself first. Maybe it will be helpful to delete all the brushes under the map, because you could use the leak check afterwards. Btw you can avoid this holes very easy, if you don't map with the <16 unit grids. Please don't shock me again with such a disordered map :P

Online @ [OTB] Beta!

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
yea its my own env. but i did fix sun lighting and try to reduce lag but ive given up and i fink i uploaded wrong version and wrong screenies... they were fastvis not final. but anyway im done for this map after all no one will play it, its too laggy. ty tho chefkiller, really helpful.

T3RR0R15T

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »
The players liked it, if it comes on the beta server. But there are too much lags to have a good gameplay...

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 12:48:18 PM »
The problem is that you can look from base to base all the time. I can try to reduce the lags though.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 05:46:54 AM »
yes that would be great chefkiller, if you can reduce the lag i'll realign all textures etc. and final compile and see if we have a playable map.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 07:51:55 AM »
I've worked a little bit with the map. It's mapped very unclear and it would be easier to rebuild the whole map, so I decided not to spend more time in it  :-\

Note four things for other maps:
- try to use the 16 unit grid for the whole map. With this grid it's a lot easier for new mappers to avoid all these rough edges.
- try not to use the feature for cutting out stuff. It doesn't work well with less or more complex brushes. You destroyed the whole mapfile with it.
- pay attention to warnings, errors, etc. If something appears, stop mapping and fix it first. It's too much work to do it later for the whole map.
- try to make a structure where you can't look from base to base for better r_speeds and less lags.

bLiNdThInG

• VM-68
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
okay chefkiller thanks. The only reason i used less than the 16 unit grid was for details sake, I see now tho it wouldnt have made much of difference. Many thanks for all the help everyone, i may not have a completed map but i have learnt some lessons for future mapping.  :)