Author Topic: Feature Request: In-game notepad  (Read 2546 times)

Haywire

• PGP
Feature Request: In-game notepad
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
I, like many other people don't have the best memory. I am often forgetting map names and server commands. What I would like is an in-game notepad. For instance: pressing F8 and a menu would come up, similar to the scores menu and you can enter whatever you want in there and then press F8 again to close it. Then, when you forgot the command (or whatever you put in your notepad) you can just press F8 and it would be there. :]

Justinph5

• Autococker
Re: Feature Request: In-game notepad
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Why not just open notepad, then Alt+Tab to it whenever you wanna type something ;)

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »
What happenned to good old paper and pen.

Haywire

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:27:06 PM »
Yeah there are many alternatives but that takes more time, and I'm assuming this is a simple thing to do if you know any idea about the source code (which i don't).

I can't do alt-f4 because I usually use fullscreen, and everytime i focus back on my screen after alt-f4, my dp window crashes. :/

And I keep losing my paper...this way it would be cleaner and why not save a couple of trees while we're at it. Save the paper for something useful like airplanes or something.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »
There are some things, small tweaks that need to be taken care in this game, that is not one of those... There are way more important things to do than that

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
then just type it into your console, then do a console dump.   Someone correct me but I believe its 'condump nametosaveas'  this will dump everything thats in the console into a text file you can find in the paintball folder.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:51:19 AM »
To Justinph5, you got it right, but you really can't find a more annoying way to store the kind of info he's talking about. ..at-least from my perspective.

I would definitely put this to use. I used to have a list with the ip's of pretty much every blocker, spammer and idiot in ic3y's jump server, which really came in handy when people tried to manipulate me and so on. But I've lost that list now, so having a notepad in the game itself would really help.

What would be the best storing method for the notepad though? An easily customizable computer file, or a never to be lost account related thingy?

This is actually off topic, but it's quite annoying to manually type IP addresses, so what if the mouse could be used to select stuff from the console? Then just do ctrl+c, ctrl+v and be done with it.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:34:20 AM »
Back in the day I used pen and paper to record IPs, demo names, scores, notes, mini-tourney brackets.

I'm betting that someone smart could make an in-game notepad with custom menus. I'm not sure how to load text files, but I'm pretty sure you could write them by clearing console, echoing menu cvar to console, and condump it to filename.

Haywire

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
I agree completely, copying IP addresses from the console isn't the most time consuming, but it is awfully annoying. A 'hyperlink' type of address would be useful.

Haywire

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »
And I was thinking of a computer file located in the pball folder similar to the localstats.