Author Topic: Clouds like Smoke in a map  (Read 1476 times)

Chucki

• Stingray
Clouds like Smoke in a map
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »
Hey guys,

I have a question and I don't even think, that it's possible, but maybe someone can help me.

I want to make some clouds like smoke in a big area. For example a big mountain and in the middle there are the clouds. Below this clouds there is some grass or something like this and above there is some snow. Like a "seperating wall". :D

Is there any possibility to make it? Would be very nice, if someone can answer. :D

Best Regards, Chucki.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
Re: Clouds like Smoke in a map
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
Hmm...do you really need it for your map? Should it be for the gameplay or just a visuell effect? If second, I would avoid it.

Fog, smoke (not for big areas), sky with clouds etc. isn't a big problem. Maybe it's possible to make a cloud model or a cloud texture with specific settings, but that would be a very bad solution in my opinion.

Chucki

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »
It's just for visuell effect, so you don't see the things above this brush/texture, but you can jump through it.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »
You can use a sky texture, delete the flags light, sky and the Value and add the flags mist and nodraw (nodraw only for 7 faces, one should be visible). Maybe you need to scale up the texture, too.

But this would be a bad mapped and bad looking solution in my opinion. An other structure of your map would be much better than doing it this way.

Chucki

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »
Ok. I try to do it the first way, if it looks bad how you say, I make an other structure. But thanks for your help. ;)

Chucki

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:39:12 AM »
Sorry for double post, but I have two more questions. :D

First question: Is there any possibility to make a ball in BSP? Any function or something like that?

and the second question: Is there any function to make a stone like this in the picture? I saw this stone on different maps and don't know how to make it. :D

Best Regards, Chucki.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
1. You can use the toolbar to make a "ball" (not pong). Make a brush, choose sphere from the listbox, click make, set the keys you want to have and click ok. But (:P) it doesn't work well. Most of the time the "ball" is horrible. I would prefer not to use this function. It's also possible to make nice maps with a more easy brushwork.

2. Make a brush and carve it with the help of clippers. The clippers are a little bit hard to understand the first time. But if you know them, they're very helpful. Here in the last part you can find a very short explanation in german ;)
http://www.otb-server.de/wbblite/thread.php?threadid=2021&sid=

Chucki

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »
Thanks for the quick answer. :D

To 1.: I try to make it this way, i only want to make a stone, too. ;) Then it's not so difficult if there are some untrue corners. ;D

To 2.: I hope I can create it. :D I look in your tutorial, maybe it helps. :P