Author Topic: "The perfect community"  (Read 4016 times)

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
"The perfect community"
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:57:39 PM »
Me and Idias were talking to Dang earlier. I was arguing the fact that because of his sub-community of Germans in lawl, rawfl and lmfao were taking away a small part of the big community.
He was stopping his members/teammates from using IRC, going on the public forums, etc, etc and yet he blames us, the people who share our input, express our views and generally be a part of the community for killing it.
He states that the abuse and insults coming from other members of the community is what stops people coming back, but surely that's just freedom of speech.
Everyone has the right to express their opinion, whether it be a bad or good opinion, they can express it. That person might express it in a bad way in terms of words/actions such as physical abuse, or cursing words, but the opinion still stays there.
Basically, Dang want's to create the perfect DP Community. Thats why he setup lawl, rawfl and lmfao - to create a community where everyone is nice and respects each other without swearing, or calling each other names/mocking people. But this happens in life, so why avoid it? Why the hell would it happen in an online game where people don't even know other peoples personalities?

My point is, a perfect community isn't possible as nobody/nothing is perfect. There isn't a perfect human being, is there...

So my question to you is, do you believe in Dangs "perfect community" or do you think that without abuse and such, the game would be boring and not appealing. I mean, abuse happens everywhere. So why can't it happen in an online game. Sure, I'd like for people not be abusive, but I can't force them not to be horrible. I can only advise. And thats the difference IMO.

Your thoughts? ???
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:14:47 PM by Kyuuchi »

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: "The perfect community"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
I tried to understand him some time ago and wrote long posts, very long ones. They ended up in a long and not frivolous discussion. But there's something I know, now. You just need to know, that Dang can do everything, knows everything and is always right. Other opinions are fundamentally wrong. I forgot the point, that he isn't interested in this official forum, because his community is the one and only.

Maybe the idea is good, but the way he tries to do is definitely the wrong one in my opinion.

So Dang and his community? No more comments (necessary), sry. I guess he read this and he's insulted again. I also don't want to waste my time with thinking about him or his community.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Maybe hes right, The community sucks and does drives off anyone new that gets into this game. Until things start to improve I stand by Dang in what he/they are doing. Keep active members in the game. Even if it calls for secluding them from IRC and the main Forums.

Chocosaur

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »
Me and Idias were talking to Dang earlier. I was arguing the fact that because of his sub-community of Germans in lawl, rawfl and lmfao were taking away a small part of the big community.
What Community? Im hosting Clanservers and a Mumbleserver. Nothing else right now...

He was stopping his members/teammates from using IRC, going on the public forums, etc, etc
Yeah, besides that, I'm telling them how they should cast their votes, what girlfriends are right for them and trying to achive world domination.
All I'm telling is that people shouldn't post in foreign cheater-report-issues if they don't have anything to tell there, since people tend to flame there.
As you state later in you'r text, you probably wrote for not getting over a clankick I had nothing to do with, they still can - and do.
I didn't stop anyone of any community to post here. Except for the members in the clans I founded, due to a clanrule saying not to involve into foreigns clans issues, in specific situations.

and yet he blames us, the people who share our input, express our views and generally be a part of the community for killing it.
Sure, as you said, I called all people here cowardly. Besides I'm a fan of Hitler and use to shoot kittens in my spare time! Please, stop trying to get help in a discussion you lost by imagining things I've never said to get help / people rage at me...

He states that the abuse and insults coming from other members of the community is what stops people coming back, but surely that's just freedom of speech.
No. I said, the massive flaming of a couple of guys in here, stops people from playing the game / participate in the boards...

Everyone has the right to express their opinion, whether it be a bad or good opinion, they can express it. That person might express it in a bad way in terms of words/actions such as physical abuse, or cursing words, but the opinion still stays there.
Yeah? So? But does this have to be insulting, always?

Basically, Dang want's to create the perfect DP Community. Thats why he setup lawl, rawfl and lmfao - to create a community where everyone is nice and respects each other without swearing, or calling each other names/mocking people.
That's true, even if I - for sure - never tried to reach for anything 'perfect' (you love this word, don't you?)

But this happens in life, so why avoid it? Why the hell would it happen in an online game where people don't even know other peoples personalities?
Yeah. You're right. I'm kicking people that flame others heavily off the gameservers I'm paying for. I'm a bad man. Everybody should have to take every flame of other players in this game! Bad Dang!

My point is, a perfect community isn't possible as nobody/nothing is perfect. There isn't a perfect human being, is there...
Seriously. What do you have with that term?! I'm pretty much sure, I've never mentioned it or anything similar Oo

So my question to you is, do you believe in Dangs "perfect community" or do you think that without abuse and such, the game would be boring and not appealing. I mean, abuse happens everywhere. So why can't it happen in an online game. Sure, I'd like for people not be abusive, but I can't force them not to be horrible. I can only advise. And thats the difference IMO.
Please, do some courses on discussion in school and how to ask questions whithout trying to influence the results of that question, by the way you're asking... That's pretty childish. People wont take you serious.

Your thoughts?
Don't bother me. I'm out of this until December, writing my Bachelor Thesis. And please get over you're kick. I wasn't even here... Thank you!

Other opinions are fundamentally wrong. I forgot the point, that he isn't interested in this official forum, because his community is the one and only.

Yeah. It was just fine, when I invited you're clan/guys to help, until we refused to hook in you're empty teamspeak servers. You started saying I'm not open for any discussion, comparing me with adolf hitler (Here's for the relation to the topic: This post is still available on german subboards), yelling a couple of other things at me and got mad as hell. Actually, I'm pretty glad you weren't interested.

planB

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »
But there's something I know, now. You just need to know, that Dang can do everything, knows everything and is always right.

indeed. 

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »
Your thoughts? ???
I think that he can do whatever he wants if he pays for his own servers etc. If that's what his friends want then they wouldn't stay if they played with people in this community anyways. So he's not 'taking away from' another community. Why are you upset at him and creating a topic on here about it, if he's not bugging anyone anyways?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:45:37 AM »
oh come on guys, this discussion is so old, don't open it again. After a long time of discussion I think we can say that we both have different opinions. Don't start to flame again and just accept that we are different people with different imaginations of fun etc.

Dang; I don't give a *** anymore on how you want to create your "community". Just take care that you and your e-friends have fun while playing. So will I. Whenever our ways cross again I hope you're open for a match and if not, I hope you're happy as well.

/discussion

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 02:32:05 AM »
oh come on guys, this discussion is so old, don't open it again. After a long time of discussion I think we can say that we both have different opinions. Don't start to flame again and just accept that we are different people with different imaginations of fun etc.

Dang; I don't give a *** anymore on how you want to create your "community". Just take care that you and your e-friends have fun while playing. So will I. Whenever our ways cross again I hope you're open for a match and if not, I hope you're happy as well.

/discussion
+

Sporti

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:05:01 AM »
But there's something I know, now. You just need to know, that Dang can do everything, knows everything and is always right. Other opinions are fundamentally wrong.

+ 100% right chef

and lmfao is b2o now and we arent any more in th Clan Family

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 05:20:01 AM »
[...] comparing me with adolf hitler (Here's for the relation to the topic: This post is still available on german subboards) [...]
Actually, I didn't want to write anything more on this topic, but I must correct such extreme misrepresentations . . . I said/wrote only that it sounds like a dictatorship, doesn' it?

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 05:39:26 AM »
The community sucks but you can't force anyone certain attitudes or way of acting, they should behave "properly" on their own, no need to have someone modifying their behaviours and way of acting torwards others. I got nothing against what he's doing, just how he's doing it. Having a better attitude when everyone else doesn't is good enough, no need to exclude them from the rest of the community, I don't know if it's because we flame in games or what, but I've watched you forbid your team of playing against my team... several times.

Agree on everything chef said.

Legendz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 05:49:10 AM »
I've watched you forbid your team of playing against my team... several times.

+1

Rawfl:] is not allowed to match good clans, cause they are too good.. but i want to know how they want to become better whit matching, [PaC] , Swiss-P, or something like that.
Dang said they are not allowed to match against me, cause the way i play is a bad influence for them..wtf.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 06:05:34 AM »
thanks kyuuchi, the endless flamefest is starting once again.

Sporti

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 06:10:54 AM »
:D jimmy :D its normal :D but now my opinion changed with dang but its wayne
i prefer not to flame

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:38 AM »
I think that he can do whatever he wants if he pays for his own servers etc. If that's what his friends want then they wouldn't stay if they played with people in this community anyways. So he's not 'taking away from' another community. Why are you upset at him and creating a topic on here about it, if he's not bugging anyone anyways?

+1

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »
but surely that's just freedom of speech.
Not where you're from.

"Any communication which is threatening, abusive or insulting, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom

Could someone post the URL for the discussion between Dang and Chef-Killer here? I'm very interested.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:46:22 AM by joonas »

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »
Not where you're from.

"Any communication which is threatening, abusive or insulting, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom

Could someone post the URL for the discussion here? I'm very interested.

Fair play. But I dont mean to people we dont know, or people who are members of authority. But this is online, not real life. ;)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »

You sir, are amazing. I don't know what it is about you that makes me feel this way. You're my idol. I look up to you. Everything you do, I want to do too.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 08:44:09 AM »
My point was that you used the law "freedom of speech" incorrectly because it doesn't permit what you say it does.

"But this is online, not real life."
You said before that "nobody is perfect", which means that everybody makes mistakes. Well the important part about realising that nobody can reach perfection is to accept that you can make mistakes too. It wasn't meant to be used as a reason to not try to achieve perfection, but to accept flaws as flaws when you encounter them in yourself instead of warping your view of what's morally right to suit your not so moral actions. You've probably said and done things to people online that would, in the real world, be considered as bad or even evil. But when you say that it's ok because this is online, not real life, you have basically warped your view of the world just to make yourself look better in it.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 09:30:39 AM »
You sir, are amazing. I don't know what it is about you that makes me feel this way. You're my idol. I look up to you. Everything you do, I want to do too.
:)   Jusu for president!

PS - Why are people trying to argue the immoralities of an online game? That's just stupid and a waste of time. Why can't we derail this thread already?