Author Topic: It's that time of year again...  (Read 6250 times)

MyeRs

• Autococker
It's that time of year again...
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:43:27 PM »
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=19590.0

More or less a discussion thread on ^

It's been the same things people say that have to get done year after year, but they don't. It's because it's to much for 1 guy to do in his spare time. So, if that never changes might as well pack it in and call it a day.

So,

Well in my opinion the most important thing is drawing and retaining new players.

(You can work banning and everything all you want, but in all -- players makes the game. Anyone disagree?)

Drawing could be harder and less obvious but retaining becomes simple and obvious.

Step 1 - Make the website look nicer to draw people in, it's outdated just like the game itself. (saw a good thread on that earlier and kyuuchi tried to help with that about a year+ ago too)

Step 2 - Make the 'create profile' section simpler, as people struggle with that. Make a 'Just Play' button so they don't have to login or click cancel. ( I heard this was getting done or was done, I wouldn't know since I use Bono's mod) -- Basically improve ingame setup.

Step 3 - Add HR4 textures on download, so the graphics are better.

---------------------------------
That's the main parts off the top of my head... please toss in more options. I know there's a bunch of other little things to improve, but it's less important. (ex- maps / models etc...)
---------------------------------

Improved framerate would be nice for many people, since this is a very small download it does attract people with lower-end computers. But this is no means something I'd consider urgently important.

--------------------------------

To better the game, I think improved media is the most important thing. But, in the current situation players are lacking. In the time it usually takes to get small things done, the community would be gone before we can even get a good hr4 pack. Which basically means, the first step to improving the game has to really come from the community, and Jitspoe doesn't really accept much help.

-------------------------------

People blame the community, but it's not like 'only ass holes come to dp2' -- it's just the people who match see the same people daily, when you know most of the community by 1st name people will start flaming easier. If there were more teams like [InT] who helped a lot of new players get into the game :/ but, there are still people willing, there's just not many people to help. Also, people don't feel the need to help as the games well... just about dead.

----------------------------------

Jusu's post on the 1st page sums up a lot of what the community could help out with.

-----------------------------------

I'm sure we have a lot of talented people in this community, if dp2 was open source a lot of 'little' things could get done, leaving Jitspoe with larger projects only. Making his free-time spent on more important stuff.

-----------------------------------

Yeah, soooo post feedback on what you think is important, what the community can do, etc... anything you feel is necessary, even if that's just 'the games dead, we cant help'. The thing about dp is most people who make it to the matching community end up staying 2+ years, it's a unique community.

Myles

• VM-68
Re: It's that time of year again...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
1. Advertising ( make videos (not just to show off :p )  , if you play another game let people know about this one,)
2. Be nice (  When I first downloaded this game , people were constantly being jerks which made me quit . I came back, learned about the great ignore command, and I love this game now , but I'm sure this is still happening)

I think the community will make the biggest difference , not the media. It's the same game from a few years ago when it was active.

(Media would be nice though :D)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »

(You can work banning and everything all you want, but in all -- players makes the game. Anyone disagree?)

players who get banned have offended one or more rules. I still think they should be handled accordingly.

+1 for the rest of the post. I'm willing to do my part as well, as far as my abilities reach

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:28:40 PM »
...if dp2 was open source a lot of 'little' things...
+1
I think that the game should become open-source. Most of the open-source games stays alive for years even there is not multiplayer. I am talking about some RPG games ,(i am not comparing RPG to DP2 just telling some open-source examples), like TES Oblivion or GTA SA those games became legendary and i think its at half thanks to the possibility of modding (well ok modding is not same as open-source but i think that modding is exactly what would people do with DP when it became open-source).
I hope that you got my point

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:00:44 PM »
pvtjimmy: I meant more in the sense of the thread I posted where 'Catching and banning Cheaters' was an option. Obviously that's important, and they should be banned if they offended the rules. I'm saying it's not as important to try to improve the detection system compared to other things, I'm not saying 'just don't ban people'.

nub

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »
Looks like TEAM X killed the clan scene. GG. it was fun.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:39:54 PM »
more like WE killed the clan scene :P

edit: On accident.....

edit: ok ok, i killed it.... On accident

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:50:07 AM »
pvtjimmy: I meant more in the sense of the thread I posted where 'Catching and banning Cheaters' was an option. Obviously that's important, and they should be banned if they offended the rules. I'm saying it's not as important to try to improve the detection system compared to other things, I'm not saying 'just don't ban people'.

ah ok, probably misunderstood you here :)

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
Hehe jimmy, misunderstood this point, too :)

I'd really like to see an official hr4 texture pack, that all maps look the same for everyone. It can be done by the community and jitspoe only needs to accept it.

It's been the same things people say that have to get done year after year, but they don't. It's because it's to much for 1 guy to do in his spare time. So, if that never changes might as well pack it in and call it a day.
That's right, the discussion is old. We can discuss about this year after year and nothing happened, but I think it's more important that someone just begins. The mapping committe will do it soon. Hopefully more and more people will also show interest in improving this game then.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 07:14:02 AM »
I'd really like to see an official hr4 texture pack, that all maps look the same for everyone. It can be done by the community and jitspoe only needs to accept it.
That's right, the discussion is old. We can discuss about this year after year and nothing happened, but I think it's more important that someone just begins. The mapping committe will do it soon. Hopefully more and more people will also show interest in improving this game then.

The fact is that most of the communities work goes unused which makes it pointless. Hr4 textures are an easy fix, but Jitspoe can't trust people because he doesn't truly know where we got the textures from. There are also many talented people in this community who can code stuff, but this game is not open-source so with 1 person working on this game very little amounts, we get rarely anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but in the last say 10 builds, whats changed? A pretty brutal killcam, Sound upgrades many times, Interpolated hitboxes. Is that the only noticeable changes or am I missing something?

kazee

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
I think the background of the website should be a pic of Myers. I mean, how could anyone not join after seeing that?

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »
Make it open source so people like myers can hack easier without being detected. Awesome idea!! Unless jits is willing to spend the time to enjoy his own game and interact with the community I doubt it would be a priority in his life. Might as well let the hackers have it.

Myles

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 08:28:17 PM »
Jitspoe and calrathan are both professional coders right? ( im really not sure :D)  But we cant just ask them to put all of their time into a game theyre not getting anything for instead of focusing on their real jobs.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
I agree with fl1p. Only the people who play and enjoy the game and its players can really understand what the game needs. Jitspoe doesn't have the amount of time needed to enjoy the game, AND fix it up to where it needs to be by himself... He needs others to help (and not just with the ability to make additions, but with the ability to help make renovations)

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:33:07 PM »
Make it open source so people like myers can hack easier without being detected. Awesome idea!! Unless jits is willing to spend the time to enjoy his own game and interact with the community I doubt it would be a priority in his life. Might as well let the hackers have it.

^LOL Why's this guy even on the committee? Just like when the committee was looking into 'potential multis' of mine, he was all against me without even having the proper proof, and he turned out to be wrong :( . But that's besides the point ;) Btw flip, what happened to that time we talked and you said 'I support everyone until they proved they did hack' (when you supported shk and were telling me everything in the committee boards).

Sorry, I didn't mean 'make the entire game open source' I realize the cheat detection shouldn't be put open source for obvious reasons. I guess it wasn't obvious enough for your little mind to comprehend though, your getting old it's alright. I meant pretty much exactly what Jusu posted, because people in this community are talented enough to help out and they never get the chance to do it.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 03:18:49 AM »
All you do is spit acid, Myers. You should be grateful, but here you are undermining his work and telling him to throw in the towel if he can't increase his pace. Grr!

About your attitude in general:
"Having a negative attitude or even a neutral, apathetic one will undermine and sabotage your efforts."
---------------------------

I'd like to see improved handling of the demos, maybe a real kill cam or just chasing the guy who eliminated you in first person, Hr4 should come with the game, timelimit for confirming accounts, but most importantly, fixing the bugs that came with b31.

1. The easier it is to create pb2 videos, the better they'll be and the more people they'll draw in.

2. More of a personal wish. I'm interested in seeing whether the guy saw through me or not. I also just like to observe how others play.

3. Those who uninstalled complained about ugly looking maps, although I'm sure jump servers are also to blame for this, no textures and all. But the hr4 textures in general do not draw any bad attention from me.

4. I don't know if people are allowed to use unconfirmed account names or not, but not being able to use, or make a similarly named account because of someone who never ended up playing isn't necessary. Deleting confirmed accounts is a huge gray area though, so I don't want that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:15:54 AM by joonas »

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 10:16:28 AM »
Joonas if you didn't realize I made this thread trying to get people's opinion on what needs to be changed. Yes, we all know threads like these happen a lot but the only way they'll ever work is if Jitspoe allows us to help out. Then, Fl1p comes in and brings a hackusation in which was just unneeded, so I was curious why he's on the committee? It showed a biased opinion towards me, but this wasn't the right place to post it just like his post wasn't needed.

The only negative attitude comes after somebody feels the need to make some kind of un-needed post concerning me or my teammates. And in the current state of the community, having a positive attitude is pretty hard. I'd like to think mine's slight bit more positive then most of this community who just come on looking to flame. Mine is usually me trying to do something positive and ending in flaming.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
I guess it wasn't obvious enough for your little mind to comprehend though, your getting old it's alright.
The only negative attitude comes after somebody feels the need to make some kind of un-needed post concerning me or my teammates.

Myers you had a negative attitude towards fl1p in a post in this thread.  Then you said the only negative attitude comes from someone talking about you or your team mates.  Hypocrite.  Apparently it also comes from you feeling the need to defend your self.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 12:05:16 PM »

First off, hi flip! Long time.

Anyways. Open sourcing paintball would actually reduce hacking and speed development because more chefs could put into the pot. It would attract the attention of the OSS community (therefore attracting more players as well), and I myself, a professional software developer, would be more than happy to contribute on an open source level. I.E. I notice someone blatantly hacking while playing (quite frequently lately), if paintball was open source I could crack it open and attempt to fix it myself without waiting on the fix that may never come.

For point of reference, look at the number of exploits for closed source browsers like Safari and IE compared to the open source Mozilla alternative.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
There's no money to be made off this game. make it open source.