Author Topic: Would scanning memory for cheats be an invasion of privacy?  (Read 6882 times)

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
Re: Would scanning memory for cheats be an invasion of privacy?
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 05:52:21 AM »
I've been suggesting the server-side screenshot thing for as long as I can remember. As far as I can tell, its the only way to be sure whether or not someone is wallhacking. For the competitive DP scene, wallhacking is the only problem, right? Aimbots are easy to detect just by camming someone, but wallhacking is a little harder, depending on how well they hide it or not.

Maybe we should start talking about making a standalone .exe that you enable before you enter a match, and randomly during the match it takes screenshots of your computer, not just dp. Then after the match it uploads the screenshots to a free image service like imageshack, maybe even flickr. Infact, with flickr you could use the developer api and make the images available to the public.

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 05:51:42 PM »
Woah woah woah. Make it take screenshots of my computer, and I WILL stop having anything to do with DP. That would be going WAAAAAAAAAAY too far.

Besides, I don't want it sapping my bandwith.

As TOM said, make it standalone and optional. AND make it so that server operators can choose weather the server needs it or not.

If I remember Shogo right, there was an Anti-Cheat client (everybody who wanted to play downloaded it) and the anti-cheat server plugin. If you didn't have the server plugin, clients didn't need the client plugin. Do NOT make it integral with the DP client or server. Make it optional.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 05:58:49 PM »
The screenshot would be an ingame one silly, to detect edited textures,  models, and wallhacks.
Well when you're playing a lot of data is going through, so I don't see how bad it would be, like 100kb, a temporary upload killer, would it happen randomly though? because that would be bad, maybe have it happen everytime some alt-tabs into the game or something...

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2006, 07:13:16 PM »
then turn it off when your going to alt tab. =]

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2006, 09:40:16 PM »
Either way, i won't play. Unless there is an option to turn it off.

Of course, make the servers require it if needed, just users turn it off for testing, etc.

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2006, 11:05:29 PM »
Why cause you cheat?

Just have an Anti-Cheat thing that we had way back for q2dp..?

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2006, 09:40:59 PM »
I'm not against anti-cheats in any way. I just want the option to turn it off for testing and make it seperate. I'm trying to figure out ways to keep my maps resistant to some hacks. I'm not meeting with a lot of success, but still...