Author Topic: Newmap : Sand Lonely Desert (beta 3)  (Read 4329 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
Newmap : Sand Lonely Desert (beta 3)
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
Hey
I finally finished my first map made for publishing so here we go :)
Information:
Flags:4(2 for each team)
Gamemode:ctf
Colors:red,blue
Gamestyle:Well to be honest i made it based on pfo tactic but i really tried to make it different
Known bugs:Missaligned wood texture-i will fix this for the next beta at first i dont think its really important and secondly i would like to know your opinion to this map :)
+ probably too much light? i am not sure if my screen is not just overbrighten so tell me what you think pls
Screenshots:

Download
http://www.edisk.cz/stahni/72822/sald_b1.bsp_2.42MB.html
So please be honest and comment :)
thanks
prozajik
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:28:18 AM by prozajik »

Narga

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap : Sand Lonely Desert (beta 1)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
Looks decent.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:09:16 AM »
Looks decent.
Thanks i tried my best :)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
Thanks i tried my best :)

You're welcome. :)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »
Seems kinda silly with all the super high walls, but I guess there's no way to really make that look more "realistic" without changing a lot... I really like the subtle fog effect :)

p.s. The bsp still says "dessert" instead of desert.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
Seems kinda silly with all the super high walls, but I guess there's no way to really make that look more "realistic" without changing a lot... I really like the subtle fog effect :)

p.s. The bsp still says "dessert" instead of desert.
Well its my first map so there is high possibility of mistakes i will try to avoid it in next map ;)
ok i will edit the message in next beta

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »
I appreciate the efforts you put into this project, but it's not a map I like... too many secret ways and other hidden jumps which will block a good and quick gameplay

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:35:10 AM »
Looks interesting...and a little bit monotonous with the high walls and the same texture everywhere on it :)

For me the fog effect is a little bit too dark, especially at the end of the long central pathes.

In my opinion there're some troubles to realize what flag is the first one where you can cap and what flag is the second one. I'd like to see a more obvious solution here.

And maybe don't add 5 points for each flag. I prefer a lower count second flag most of the time.

Add "angle" "#" to your player spawns, that they don't look in front of a wall after spawning.

Maybe add a few more player spawns that it's more difficult to predictable them.

The items will be selected randomly. Use "group" "#" for each opposite item, that the map will be more balanced. Note, that this doesn't work for the ammo yet. But guns should be the same.

I didn't tested the gameplay yet.

And a few screenshots with stuff for both bases:

Red: Add clip brushes here.

Red: Rotate this faces.
Blue: Align this wall. There're lots of other misalignments with this texture. I know, this texture is very hard to align well.

Red: Align this wall.

Blue: Rotate this face (90°), too. There are a lot other corridors where you need to rotate the texture to align the texture. I'll show you a few of them, but not all.
Green: Move this face a little bit.

Red: Move this faces.
Green: Rotate this faces (90°).

Blue: Rotate this face (90°).
Red: You need to mirror the two backwards logos from each of these boxes. Use a negative SX value for the surface to mirror it. Your boxes need SX -1.0.

Red: Rotate this faces (90°).
Green: Align the wall here.
Blue: I hate this sloping sand stones, because they doesn't look much realistic (almost flying). However, they still aren't aligned well.

Green: Move this face.
Blue: Rotate this face (90°).

Blue: Rotate this faces (90°).
Red: Some more misalignments.

Red: Move this faces.
Yellow: One more corridor where I would rotate the textur (floor and ceiling) by 90 degrees to align them better. There're a few more corridors like this.
Green: Here'is a half face at the beginning and at the end. I would move this texture a little bit to fix this. Would look a lot bette imo.

Red: One lighting issue.

Online @ [OTB] Beta!

Keep on working :D

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »
For downloading the map, you should have links for other languages. I managed to download it though. Some people might not be as clever as me.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
For downloading the map, you should have links for other languages. I managed to download it though. Some people might not be as clever as me.

I just hope this is a joke, Mr. Clever. He added the map as an attachment to his post.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
Mr. Clever never jokes. Ever.

On topic though: I don't feel like having yet another map to learn, just because it's 2 flags per team map "to prevent camping". There is still white flag to use, which is imho better way "to prevent camping" as such. Sorry for posting this under this map, but I really get annoyed every time I see a new map, which lately is always 4 flags.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »
@Chef-Killer
I will start working on the issues as soon as i get to my source files

@Gamabunta
I think that the main reason is that there are no maps for 3s+ which would have white flag (and we want 3s+, 2s is boring at least for me ;) ).
And to prevent camping...i dont think it is the best choice because when the "rusher" takes white flag "camper" can leave his spot and go to the spawn of white flag when the rusher caps white flag camper can go cap too so it wont help the rusher (if we are talking about huge maps with white flag ;) )

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
No, I know it won't help the gameplay to high extent, I meant it only to make a team leave its base.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »
No, I know it won't help the gameplay to high extent, I meant it only to make a team leave its base.
oh if you mean it like that then yes. BTW i got an idea for the next map where i will try to implement white flag into i hope good gameplay but i still have to think about enviroment and finish this map :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:22:37 PM by prozajik »

prozajik

• Autococker
Re: Newmap : Sand Lonely Desert (beta 2)
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »
Sand Lonely Desert (Beta 2)
Ok so i aligned,repaired everything on chefs list (+everything i found myself) and deleted sloping sand stones and replaced them with wood :P. Also i tried to make the 1. flag more obvious and i lowered 2. flag to 3points per flag. But i dont want to add more spawns because i think that spawn anywhere else would make high advantage. I also added only steel barrel for spawns. And i hope i improved lighting and fog.
And i edited message so now it says Desert + added groups for weapon "spawns"
PS:I still didnt aligned the faces of wood there is a lot of them and i dont feel like doing that maybe in b3 but i will probably improve it for the next map (too much unaligned wood :/ ).
Link:http://www.edisk.cz/stahni/51302/sald_b2.bsp_2.42MB.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:34:55 AM by prozajik »

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »
I just hope this is a joke, Mr. Clever. He added the map as an attachment to his post.

All I saw was a link.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 02:27:11 PM »
All I saw was a link.
Yea it could happen because made post with edisk.cz link and then modified it and attached the file ( but i made in less then minute you had to be really lucky :D)
Anyway are there any problems with b2? Some missaligned textures and so on? :).I would like to finish this map as soon as possible becuase i have another project under construction :)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »
Anyway are there any problems with b2? Some missaligned textures and so on? :).I would like to finish this map as soon as possible...
Yes, I'll post them soon. Try to make it as high quality as possible, not as fast as possible. If you do the final release soon, there're no more chances to find less obvious problems/misalignments or to test the gameplay e.g.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 12:23:06 PM »
Yes, I'll post them soon. Try to make it as high quality as possible, not as fast as possible. If you do the final release soon, there're no more chances to find less obvious problems/misalignments or to test the gameplay e.g.
I didnt mean it like i will not try to make high quality map. I would never think about not finishing the map ;)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
I don't have much time, so I'll only post a few stuff I already said.

There're still some guns that spawn randomly and don't have a group key.

Blue: Rotate this face (90°), too. There are a lot other corridors where you need to rotate the texture to align the texture. I'll show you a few of them, but not all.
Green: Move this face a little bit.
Some stuff of this is only done in one base.

Red: You need to mirror the two backwards logos from each of these boxes. Use a negative SX value for the surface to mirror it. Your boxes need SX -1.0.
There're still lots of backwards logos.

The green thing isn't done yet. Pay attention of the blue dashed line. Maybe the green alignment is only possible, if you'll make the blue brush a little bit longer.

Red: One lighting issue.
I don't really like your solution with the lamp. In my opinion this lamp doesn't match the theme of the map. I'd try to find an other solution.

The right wall looks nice now, but the left one looks bad. Rotate the left wall, too. I guess you'll also need rotate the red dashed area between this two walls maybe.

The other things are a lot better now :D

Online @ [OTB] Beta!