Author Topic: Feature Vote: Bot controls player if player is idle or chating.  (Read 3603 times)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
Feature Vote: Bot controls player if player is idle or chating.
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »
If a player is chating or becomes idle, then a bot controls the model until the player stops chating/controls the model. Like Armagetron.

Edit 1:  The bot can learn how the player plays the game so it can behave like the player, or it can be an ACEBot.

Edit 2:  Purpose: This makes the game more fair by reducing the chances of a player getting killed when saying long messages.

It also prevents people from having to wait 1 min. to join a team after being switched to obs due to idling.

Having a symbol over the models head may work, but there are jerks out there.

A player presses a special key on the keyboard to control the model from where the bot last left off.

Example:  A person gets switched to obs due to idling, the player returns to his/her keyboard and presses a key and imediatly, the bot stops controlling the model and the player takes it's place and continue where the bot was.

If the bot is in a hallway, then as soon as the player presses the key, then the player imediatly controls the model in the exact same postion, in the exact same hallway, thus the player doesn't have to wait 1 min. to join a team.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:42:52 PM by Narga »

payl

• 68 Carbine
Re: Feature Vote: Bot controls player if player is idle or chating.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:15:53 AM »
Yay i will stand on some good sniper position and just press T to enable aimbot... In armagetron it might have sense, but in paintball it is senseless...

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
Yay i will stand on some good sniper position and just press T to enable aimbot... In armagetron it might have sense, but in paintball it is senseless...

Maybe, the bot will learn from the player's skills so it behaves just like the player.

Or it can be just like the ACEBots.

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
the bot will learn from the player's skills so it behaves just like the player.

I'm not sure whether this is meant to be serious :\

I hope you realize Jitspoe has more to do than working on DP2 24/7. Even if he had nothing else to do, this would still be an extremely hard feature to script.

Unless you're going to develop this feature yourself, this will always remain a dream.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »
I'm not sure whether this is meant to be serious :\

I hope you realize Jitspoe has more to do than working on DP2 24/7. Even if he had nothing else to do, this would still be an extremely hard feature to script.

Unless you're going to develop this feature yourself, this will always remain a dream.

It doesn't have to learn then. It can be like the ACEbots. Have you played against them before?

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
It doesn't have to learn then. It can be like the ACEbots. Have you played against them before?
Everyone played against them... But it could make game REALLY unfair/stupid just to make feature which tries to reduce death count while typing...
When you are going to be idle, you go observer. And when you type, you hide/type after round... Easy? Easy. So why do we need to complicate it?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:06:54 PM »
When you are going to be idle, you go observer. And when you type, you hide/type after round... Easy? Easy. So why do we need to complicate it?

+1

Furthermore playing against ACEbots is annoying³. They just run against walls and when they turn around they instantly kill. If I want to play vs. ACEbots, I can also do this offline.

Therefore, unless the ACEbot AI is going to be improved a lot, I don't think this feature would help a lot.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »
I dont see how this could be fair.
idling during round = death, its your problem you are joined to play not to idle or type.
Also if there was such a possiblity you think that players would use only on round start? I dont think so. If you can have botlike aim why not use it ( talking about nonhack botlike aim)?

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »
They just run against walls and when they turn around they instantly kill.

That is only if you're standing still, if you're moving fast enough, they won't.

Edit 1:  You get defeated by bots all the time? I don't; I have a .dmw file to prove it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:26:00 PM by Narga »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
Edit 1:  You get defeated by bots all the time? I don't; I have a .dmw file to prove it.

You're so good! Can we train together?

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 12:11:59 PM »
You're so good! Can we train together?

Are you serious?

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
That is only if you're standing still, if you're moving fast enough, they won't.
Sure if you get time to move that fast. Can you think about idler in airtime base? Players dont usually rush in as fastest as they can (ok if they want grab yes but lets say they dont want) They tactically lines everywhere and in some time they reach the bot who kills them as soon as he spot them. This is what i am talking about.
As it was said if you want to play vs bots play offline but dont bring this to online playing its like allowing players to play with AB. And also it would be easier for hackers to play with AB they could just say:I accidentally pressed T so it aimed for me.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 05:16:45 PM »
This is a bad idea. A better idea would be to show a symbol above a player who is typing or idle, similar to what QL does for players that are typing.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »
Sure if you get time to move that fast. Can you think about idler in airtime base? Players dont usually rush in as fastest as they can (ok if they want grab yes but lets say they dont want) They tactically lines everywhere and in some time they reach the bot who kills them as soon as he spot them. This is what i am talking about.
As it was said if you want to play vs bots play offline but dont bring this to online playing its like allowing players to play with AB. And also it would be easier for hackers to play with AB they could just say:I accidentally pressed T so it aimed for me.

Well I heard there is a feature vote for improving bots. I hope that means that they'll behave more human like. If that is the case than this feature vote will depend on it.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:42 AM »
This is a bad idea. A better idea would be to show a symbol above a player who is typing or idle, similar to what QL does for players that are typing.
+1 this seems better idea for me also idle message would be great so it is harder to fake idle or lagged.
Well I heard there is a feature vote for improving bots. I hope that means that they'll behave more human like. If that is the case than this feature vote will depend on it.
You really think serious that there should be possibiltiy to let bot play for you in online match? Maybe for pubs or speeds it could be possible but still dont see any sense in it. You are idle = you get kill. People should have advantage when they are idling or typing? It is really nonsense for me. Have you ever seen this in any well known online fps game? Counter-strike series, Call of Duty series, quake series. I dont think so (idk about quake just guessing), so why bring it up into this game?

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »
You really think serious that there should be possibility to let bot play for you in on line match? Maybe for pubs or speeds it could be possible but still don't see any sense in it. You are idle = you get kill. People should have advantage when they are idling or typing? It is really nonsense for me. Have you ever seen this in any well known on line fps game? Counter-strike series, Call of Duty series, quake series. I don't think so (idk about quake just guessing), so why bring it up into this game?

Maybe it should be a client or server side option?  :-\

Edit 1:  Maybe, players will be forced to turn it off in match servers, but on pubs, speeds, and beta pubs/speeds, it can be client side.

Long: Just remember, the bots don't need to have a lot of skill. They don't need to be 1-balling everyone. They can make it so the bot is almost as skilled as the average player, but not enough that it beats them every game. Maybe the bots should be skilled enough that they can only be an average of 10 pts. Less than the average player in every game.

Short: Make the bots NOT skilled enough so lazy people wont be relying on them.

Or:  The skill of the bots should be a server side option.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
+Have you ever seen this in any well known online fps game? Counter-strike series, Call of Duty series, quake series. I dont think so (idk about quake just guessing), so why bring it up into this game?

I saw it in Armagetron, so I thought it would be a good idea to have it in this game.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 01:32:25 PM »

This.