Author Topic: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP  (Read 147452 times)

Chalk

• VM-68
Re: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2013, 05:48:04 PM »
Give yourself a slap

I agreed with you...but I spoke english....

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
It depends what you're looking for....

The problem is that jitspoe is going for a more realistic look, which has never appealed to quake communities. That's why everyone in quake live uses the max picmip value.

quake live<3

aSla

• PGP
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »
I agreed with you...but I spoke english....

In that case, you can be proud of you! *applause*

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
The only difference I am really seeing is the contrast, and couldn't stand looking at those brighter ones for long periods of time.

More specific? Guy, do you have eyes? Look at this screens it's horrible - for example c1 the grass is soo ugly, one look and I'm sick.
The only thing that I like on the official textures is mid ramp on airtime - the rest is sux
Yes, 'Guy' does have eyes.  Currently you're complaining about a game that you have downloaded FOR FREE, developed mainly by ONE PERSON, and when improvements are made to the low-res stuff we've had to live with for a while, all you do is whine?  Cool, people have made other texture packs.  Problem here is advantages are given, for example those barrel textures Aveiro was banned for (~cyan on blue, obvious advantage).  You could be productive here and actually HELP OUT with making new textures.

Also, saying something is ugly is not descriptive at all.  WHY is is ugly.  WHAT makes it ugly.  DESCRIBE your issue.  For example (since you gave one), that grass texture on c1 is 'soo ugly'.  Cool, so its not ugly on other maps?  It might be ugly in comparison to other textures, maybe in the light level it doesn't look good, but thats not a fault with the texture.  If you would like to continue this example and have time to prove your point (which I currently don't), go and find other maps with that same grass texture, and prove THAT texture is the issue, not just in that map.  If you can do that, then more discussion can be made about your issue with the texture, otherwise I'd call it an issue with the map more than the texture.

aSla

• PGP
« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »
The only difference I am really seeing is the contrast, and couldn't stand looking at those brighter ones for long periods of time.
Yes, 'Guy' does have eyes.  Currently you're complaining about a game that you have downloaded FOR FREE, developed mainly by ONE PERSON, and when improvements are made to the low-res stuff we've had to live with for a while, all you do is whine?  Cool, people have made other texture packs.  Problem here is advantages are given, for example those barrel textures Aveiro was banned for (~cyan on blue, obvious advantage).  You could be productive here and actually HELP OUT with making new textures.

Also, saying something is ugly is not descriptive at all.  WHY is is ugly.  WHAT makes it ugly.  DESCRIBE your issue.  For example (since you gave one), that grass texture on c1 is 'soo ugly'.  Cool, so its not ugly on other maps?  It might be ugly in comparison to other textures, maybe in the light level it doesn't look good, but thats not a fault with the texture.  If you would like to continue this example and have time to prove your point (which I currently don't), go and find other maps with that same grass texture, and prove THAT texture is the issue, not just in that map.  If you can do that, then more discussion can be made about your issue with the texture, otherwise I'd call it an issue with the map more than the texture.

Are you serious? At first glance, the official textures are absolutely disgusting ..
Actually what did you do for this community if you are suggesting players to improve official hr4 textures pack?
But OK.
I show my opinion what should be improved and the grass is pretty ugly in all maps..
.. there is really no point in arguing with you, even if there is no interest to do anything else - just still repeat the same excrement all over ..
We're the bad guys, you never did any mistakes, right?

From your behavior we deduce you want to grief the matchscene, so we do not want to see how Digital Paint : Paintball 2 is dying under your hands.

Vůbec seru na to banda přizdisráčů...
Kurva to je hic..
User banned for this post
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 05:13:58 PM by jitspoe »

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2013, 07:02:12 PM »
Are you serious? At first glance, the official textures are absolutely disgusting ..
Actually what did you do for this community if you are suggesting players to improve official hr4 textures pack?
But OK.
I show my opinion what should be improved and the grass is pretty ugly in all maps..
.. there is really no point in arguing with you, even if there is no interest to do anything else - just still repeat the same excrement all over ..
We're the bad guys, you never did any mistakes, right?
And again, you've not explained why they are disgusting.  Your problem is not going to be resolved by saying this.  I'm currently sitting in a lecture with a mate, got him to look at the video that someone posted, and he picked the official almost every time.  YOUR opinion may be that they are 'disgusting', but others don't have to agree with you.  Pretty ugly in all maps.  WHY is it ugly, you can't just say it is, it holds no weight.  These 'mistakes' you're talking about have been happening for too long, and I'm not surprised at all that jitspoe has just had enough and slaps these bans down.  Like foxhound said in the other thread, its not hard to ask if you're allowed, people are pretty responsive on the forums.  Also, for your information, been on the committee, made my attempt at making maps and actually listened to feedback unlike some people these days, made a basic elo ranking system for Rick to use, and also haven't really complained about a game I downloaded for free.

Btw, I repeated myself alot to get the message across since it looks as if you're using a translater.

aSla

• PGP
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »
And again, you've not explained why they are disgusting.  Your problem is not going to be resolved by saying this.  I'm currently sitting in a lecture with a mate, got him to look at the video that someone posted, and he picked the official almost every time.  YOUR opinion may be that they are 'disgusting', but others don't have to agree with you.  Pretty ugly in all maps.  WHY is it ugly, you can't just say it is, it holds no weight.  These 'mistakes' you're talking about have been happening for too long, and I'm not surprised at all that jitspoe has just had enough and slaps these bans down.  Like foxhound said in the other thread, its not hard to ask if you're allowed, people are pretty responsive on the forums.  Also, for your information, been on the committee, made my attempt at making maps and actually listened to feedback unlike some people these days, made a basic elo ranking system for Rick to use, and also haven't really complained about a game I downloaded for free.

Btw, I repeated myself alot to get the message across since it looks as if you're using a translater.

Cameron ty šourek, drž si kouličky, jedeme z kopce.. User banned for this post

and again..
just still repeat the same excrement all over ..

What is the difference between your arguments and a bucket of excrements?
Bucket.

Look at Sunman's textures - nice at all
Official textures - disgusting
If you still don't know why are they disgusting, open your eyes..
Deal with it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:47:11 PM by jitspoe »

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2013, 07:39:27 PM »
http://youtu.be/OyshZpO_W28
pp1:
White Grass vs Green Grass ; The white doesn't even look like grass?
Wall Textures ; I like all.
Solid Barrels vs reg Barrels ; The solid ones look excrement, and that's not Av's pack? Didn't he have baby coloured barrels?
Inside Wall Texture ; I do like Av's more.

Rugged:
Dat Grass again, doesn't look good.
I like the wall texture of Sunmans, but look at Av's? It's bricks for god sake.
Wood is basically the same.
Jitspoe's boxes look the best.
I also notice there is wood instead of metal for the cap? So Jits wins again...

castle1;
Again, thats not even Av's textures.
Jitspoe's grass looks way nicer, actually looks like grass.
I like Jitspoe's walls better, gives a nice warm feeling.
Hardly anything different besides those things.

OTH:
LOL, why are you even comparing these? Jitspoe's Walls are way better then the others.
Jitspoe's grass is way better.
Even Jitspoe's water is better.

airtime:
lol.
Compare the grounds to Jitspoe's, ones super dark and ones super light, looking for an advantage?
Av's textures look horrid.
Jitspoe's ramp texture is nice.

pforest:
Again, look at Av's textures... How is that not for an advantage?
Sunman's wall is excrement.
Flag is excrement. (Sunmans).
I like the grass, but I like Jit's grass too.

carp:
Lol. Don't even have to compare. Jitspoe's looks sweet.

From what I've seen in your video, Jitspoe's textures rock in most comparisons.

We get it man, you're angry over Av's ban. It's very obvious. But the fact is, the official textures do look good.

Edit: Just showed the video to a friend that doesn't play this game and he chose the official for everything but rugged.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
Haha calling me excrement in another language?  Have a nice break.  Unlucky that your translator won't know what that means.

Look at Sunman's textures - nice at all
Deal with it.
I'm not the one that has to deal with it, you do, I'm happy with the official textures.  You're being an ignorant kid that only thinks the only opinion about this game that matters is yours and maybe a couple of your friends.  I've voiced mine, and told you how to make your opinion stronger, and yet you just ignore and repeat yourself.  Yes, I'm not the only person repeating myself here.

I can also tell you now, the level of detail you are giving is not going to resolve any problem you have with the textures, and the way you're posting about it isn't helping either.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
Deal with it.

Let's try flipping this around.  I'll just start with the first picture in the video and give an example of constructive criticism -- like what I would like to see -- on how to improve textures.

First up, we have sunman's pack on Propaint1.

The wood texture on the wall does not have much of a natural looking wood grain.  It's all vertical lines.  JPEG compression artifacts are visible and cause it to loose definition up close.  At a distance, it has a very unnatural repeating pattern, causing it to look like horizontal stripes and not appear like wood at all.  It's also the wrong color.  It should be more of a faded greenish grey, like treated lumber, to match the original texture and fit in with the themes mappers originally used it for.

The barrels are almost solid red.  They're unnaturally bright, saturated, and lacking in value range.  If you look closely, you can see there is some definition of the barrel rungs, but they really need to be brought out more with some more highlighting and shadow.  There's really no discernible texture.  There is no wear, dirt, or anything to give them definition or character.  They don't look like they've been on a paintball field.  They also don't feel grounded.  The bright color pops so much that they just look like they were cut out and placed there in 2D, not like they're part of the environment.

The grass has a weird kaleidoscope appearance to it.  Instead of being tiled properly, it looks like it was mirrored in 4 directions..  It does not look like grass from a distance.  It also does not tile well and has the appearance of lines/rows at a distance.  It is a completely different shade of green from the original texture.  Its considerably brighter and has less saturation.  It really changes the feel of maps that were designed for the darker colors and has an out of place, bright, sun-bleached look to it.  It looks out of place and unnaturally bright next to the other textures.

The hay texture (which really shouldn't be used as a bunker, anyway), lacks texture and is a bit too yellow.  It almost looks like a stick of butter in this screenshot.

The red metal texture comes from the official HR4 pack, and, by definition, is the most hideous thing I've ever seen in the entirety of my existence and makes me want to vomit simply by knowing it exists.

Now that you have some examples of constructive criticism, try constructing a full paragraph about a texture, what looks bad about it, and what can be done to improve it.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2013, 10:21:17 PM »
Guys who arent playing this game shouldnt talk ;)
Every dude who is not playing anymore think that he knows whats best for the game. In fact, they are sitting on the forums and suggesting things that are good for themselves even if they arent playing anymore. Time changes so do the people who are playing. And fact is that most of the people dont like jitspoes textures.
And dont tell everyone to post constructive critic. Yes, it is true that our english isnt as perfect as yours, maybe thats why we dont post in here. Every time you dont know what to post you tell us to learn english.

Have a nice day. Hope you understood the russian!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2013, 10:24:55 PM »
Every dude who is not playing anymore think that he knows whats best for the game. In fact, they are sitting on the forums and suggesting things that are good for themselves even if they arent playing anymore. Time changes so do the people who are playing. And fact is that most of the people dont like jitspoes textures.
And dont tell everyone to post constructive critic. Yes, it is true that our english isnt as perfect as yours, maybe thats why we dont post in here. Every time you dont know what to post you tell us to learn english.

See, the problem is, people keep making posts like this without one single iota of information on how to make the official texture pack look better.

luckmore

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
See, the problem is, people keep making posts like this without one single iota of information on how to make the official texture pack look better.

Yes, thats true. Did you ever think why it is like that? Because people dont think they get listened to if they write something on forums. Because you listen, most of the time, to older player who arent playing anymore. And our english isnt that good for constructive critic. Oh yeah maybe it is a bad excuse as you would think.

Edit: Why should we post critic? We say something bad - then there is another dude who isnt playing anymore says why its good and thats it. Yes this how argueing works but i think most of the guys dont want to look at each texture and describe why its bad/good. They just want to use a pack they want. Every human has another wishes.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2013, 10:41:24 PM »

Actually, its the fact you post something unconstructive in the first place.  ANY post with good constructive feedback, even if the English is horrible is better than 'disgusting', or 'we dont like them'.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »
Yes, thats true. Did you ever think why it is like that? Because people dont think they get listened to if they write something on forums. Because you listen, most of the time, to older player who arent playing anymore. And our english isnt that good for constructive critic. Oh yeah maybe it is a bad excuse as you would think.

Edit: Why should we post critic? We say something bad - then there is another dude who isnt playing anymore says why its good and thats it. Yes this how argueing works but i think most of the guys dont want to look at each texture and describe why its bad/good. They just want to use a pack they want. Every human has another wishes.
Could you go through this thread and highlight all the feedback I failed to listen to?

aSla

• PGP
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2013, 02:36:29 AM »
Haha calling me excrement in another language?  Have a nice break.  Unlucky that your translator won't know what that means.
I'm not the one that has to deal with it, you do, I'm happy with the official textures.  You're being an ignorant kid that only thinks the only opinion about this game that matters is yours and maybe a couple of your friends.  I've voiced mine, and told you how to make your opinion stronger, and yet you just ignore and repeat yourself.  Yes, I'm not the only person repeating myself here.

I can also tell you now, the level of detail you are giving is not going to resolve any problem you have with the textures, and the way you're posting about it isn't helping either.

Man, seriously shut the intercourse up, when you don't know what are you talking about. You don't know me so  I'm "an ignorant kid". Oh yeah, maybe a few years ago it was true, but okey it's your opinion and you win - i will not talk with you anymore, because I'm not interested to argue with primitive.

And yes - I'm talking in another language, because I'm proud Czech - so yes, naser si.

Let's try flipping this around.  I'll just start with the first picture in the video and give an example of constructive criticism -- like what I would like to see -- on how to improve textures.

The wood texture on the wall does not have much of a natural looking wood grain.  It's all vertical lines.  JPEG compression artifacts are visible and cause it to loose definition up close.  At a distance, it has a very unnatural repeating pattern, causing it to look like horizontal stripes and not appear like wood at all.  It's also the wrong color.  It should be more of a faded greenish grey, like treated lumber, to match the original texture and fit in with the themes mappers originally used it for.

The barrels are almost solid red.  They're unnaturally bright, saturated, and lacking in value range.  If you look closely, you can see there is some definition of the barrel rungs, but they really need to be brought out more with some more highlighting and shadow.  There's really no discernible texture.  There is no wear, dirt, or anything to give them definition or character.  They don't look like they've been on a paintball field.  They also don't feel grounded.  The bright color pops so much that they just look like they were cut out and placed there in 2D, not like they're part of the environment.

The grass has a weird kaleidoscope appearance to it.  Instead of being tiled properly, it looks like it was mirrored in 4 directions..  It does not look like grass from a distance.  It also does not tile well and has the appearance of lines/rows at a distance.  It is a completely different shade of green from the original texture.  Its considerably brighter and has less saturation.  It really changes the feel of maps that were designed for the darker colors and has an out of place, bright, sun-bleached look to it.  It looks out of place and unnaturally bright next to the other textures.

The hay texture (which really shouldn't be used as a bunker, anyway), lacks texture and is a bit too yellow.  It almost looks like a stick of butter in this screenshot.

The red metal texture comes from the official HR4 pack, and, by definition, is the most hideous thing I've ever seen in the entirety of my existence and makes me want to vomit simply by knowing it exists.

Now that you have some examples of constructive criticism, try constructing a full paragraph about a texture, what looks bad about it, and what can be done to improve it.

Hmm.. Sure.
Sunman's textures doesn't look real? OK - but they are nice to look at them.
And if you really think, that your textures looks real or even nice, you're wrong.
Your choise, idk.. you lost the most active clan on this game. Be proud of you. You are really great in devastation of this game.
Try to think why other active people / clans agree with us.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2013, 06:37:54 AM »
pp1:
Solid Barrels vs reg Barrels ; The solid ones look excrement, and that's not Av's pack? Didn't he have baby coloured barrels?

I changed the barrels, becouse Clipz warned me they are illegal. If i knew others textures are ilegal i would do the same.

Yeah that's true, my english isn't best so I can't make a discussion about textures even if I would like.

Ehm.. You want to make your textures more realistic but tell me why? It's game where people jumping/flying and it's so unreal. So why you care if the wood texture isn't natural looking wood grain.. even if it look's better and lighter.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2013, 07:08:34 AM »
Man, seriously shut the intercourse up, when you don't know what are you talking about. You don't know me so  I'm "an ignorant kid". Oh yeah, maybe a few years ago it was true, but okey it's your opinion and you win - i will not talk with you anymore, because I'm not interested to argue with primitive.
How are you still not ignorant?  I kept telling you, and so did jitspoe, to post constructive feedback and all you do is keep putting jitspoes textures and himself down without much reason, it's gonna get you nowhere.  Also, I never intended for it to be an argument.  I initially started out giving you guidelines to provide the feedback, and it turned into and argument when you started insulting me.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »
I changed the barrels, becouse Clipz warned me they are illegal. If i knew others textures are ilegal i would do the same.
Ah! Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah that's true, my english isn't best so I can't make a discussion about textures even if I would like.

Just do your best :) I'm sure someone will be able to understand, you seem to be pretty good at English.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
I think it's hard to make official textures for all people. People like different things. I like simple, bright textures but as I see Jitspoe prefers detailed realistic textures.

For me its like choose between Counter Strike 1.6 (Jitspoe's official hr4) and Counter Strike Source (My pack). I will always choose the newest version rather than older one. I think my textures looks visually newer than Jitspoes so I prefer playing with them.

I don't need to play with realistic textures becouse it's just simple game for me. If I wanted to play something what looks realistic I would choose some newer game to play, like MW3.

Jitspoe should talk to people what they prefer and he should  be able to comply them. If he will not, they will rather use Sunman's hr4.