Author Topic: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP  (Read 147474 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP
« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »
On the carpathian map, this is the problem with changing out textures to something completely different: the walls are rock.  They aren't stone walls with masonry or bricks.  Nothing but rock really makes sense there.  It just looks weird.  If the walls were flat, it MIGHT make sense, but they're not.  They're very organic.  Even if they were flat, that texture would look out of place in other maps where the rock texture was used as, well, rock.

The S + S grass, aside from being very bright and washed out, does not tile all that well.  If you look at the distant ground texture, you see almost a checker pattern of alternating light and dark lighter areas.  That particular grass texture is actually from a photograph of real grass, so saying "real grass doesn't look like that" doesn't make sense, because, well, yes it does.  There are lots of different grass textures.  Some are deep and green, some are lighter and green.  Some have a mix of dead and live grass.  Some have rocks.  I want to keep the variety that's there so mappers can choose the texture that fits their theme.  Replacing all the grass with the same texture like the S+S pack is just... bland.  Every map starts to look the same.

On the renoir screenshot, that texture is scaled up larger than the rest.  That is going to be the case regardless of the texture used.  Take a look with a different texture pack.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to review some of these textures and make adjustments based on feedback.

UnRateD: Not to defend my textures, as I know some certainly need the quality improved, but that's the biggest problem I have with most of the texture packs.  Some of the textures are OK, while others have glaring issues and just look bad to me.  I guess people get used to them and start to think they look good after a while.  It's just weird when people post screenshots of, what I think are, really bad textures and say something like "See how much better these look than the official textures?!  You need to make the official textures look better!"  I'm really not sure how to react to that.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »
UnRateD: Not to defend my textures, as I know some certainly need the quality improved, but that's the biggest problem I have with most of the texture packs.  Some of the textures are OK, while others have glaring issues and just look bad to me.  I guess people get used to them and start to think they look good after a while.  It's just weird when people post screenshots of, what I think are, really bad textures and say something like "See how much better these look than the official textures?!  You need to make the official textures look better!"  I'm really not sure how to react to that.

I just wouldn't ban them and instead told them that their textures are bad and also they should change them. They would maybe told you what you can improve etc.. It was just example, because I'm not good at design or something like that, I just prefer use things which fits to me best. But there are some people like prozajik who are intrested/knowing in this problem.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2013, 02:53:44 AM »
Made another pass on wwall1_1.

Originals (from mod and standalone) for reference:

New texture:

Feedback?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #243 on: August 17, 2013, 04:17:58 AM »
The new wall looks great on propaint1. It makes the metal floor look horrific though (although I think this might be a scaling problem, as the details just seem oversized).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #244 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
The new wall looks great on propaint1. It makes the metal floor look horrific though (although I think this might be a scaling problem, as the details just seem oversized).
Oversized on the wall or metal texture?

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #245 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
Metal texture on the floor. Should be called something like metal8_1. I think it's just too "rusty" for me, it looks pretty much overused (matter of taste).

Same problem for b_metal1 by the way, though I'm not sure whether it's a general problem, or just a problem on this specific map. If anyone could name me 2-3 more maps where these textures are used I'll have a look.

wasp

• Stingray
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
That new texture looks great, just the kind of clean yet detailed texture players are looking for. If all others are done to that standard there can be few complaints. Great job jitspoe.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
Made another pass at grass1_4.

Previous HR4 version:

Original (Q2 and standalone) low-res textures, for reference:

Version 2:

Used in antioch series, pball_shreds1, pbcup_pforest.

Made it a little flatter with patches of dirt to closer match the original.  Not sure if this addresses the color complaint, but I think it looks natural.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2013, 11:23:48 PM »
I think it looks nice!

Beppo

• Stingray
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:09 AM »
checked the new grass and the pp1 wall texture. Both of them look way better than the old version, especially low on pp1 is awesome with the new wall texture version. I think that is what the new hr4 pack should be, go on with that, GJ.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2013, 07:11:55 AM »
I think the official hr4 pack is coming along great!

I touched up your latest grass1_4 because it was easier to do that then try to explain my thoughts.  Basically I thought yours was a little too murky, and the colors too plain.  So I sharpened it, added some bolder shadows, and gave it more "life" (?)

Here is a screenshot with the changed grass on pbcup_pforest and the texture itself.

Regardless, I think the new textures are solid.

- Cusoman

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
I think the Jitspoe's one looks better cuso.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2013, 09:06:13 AM »
Both look great, though I prefer cusos since I'm a fan of sharper bolder colours

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »
Good job on the textures, jits, keep it up!

After reading through this forum, I found it hilarious how un-constructive some of the feedback was, even after telling the community specifically to post constructive feedback only. (I guess I'm not the only victim, lol) I personally like most of the textures the way they are. Just work on the textures that don't have hr4 versions yet and most of us will be satisfied.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:41:11 AM by BASEBALLDUDE »

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
Good to see we're not only getting feedback, but also active support from the community. Good job Cuso!

I think both the new grass textures look great, although I'd personally prefer Cuso's, as it looks more like grass. Jitspoe's version is probably more how a real paintball field would look like, but the "muddy" look makes the map work pretty depressive. As Cuso also stated, his looks more "alive".

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
I think this should be legal:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11mdtea&s=5

It shows that DP would be amazing if it were made toonish. (I did not put these textures, someone sent me the screenshot who will rename nameless).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
Maybe I could do something in between, with a little more shadow definition, but not quite as much as cuso's.

I think this should be legal:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11mdtea&s=5

It shows that DP would be amazing if it were made toonish. (I did not put these textures, someone sent me the screenshot who will rename nameless).

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »
I think the problem with Cusomans version is that he completely changed the colours.

The point of the official texture pack is to create high-res versions of the current textures.  It seems like this is the point many people aren't understanding.  So when you change the colour so drastically it sorta defeats the purpose since it becomes a completely different texture.  Whether it looks nicer or not is unfortunately irrelevant as long as the texture in question is so different from the original.

Cusomans version should be its own separate texture.

It is up to the mapper to decide which textures they want to use on their maps, not jitspoe.  I think he would agree and doesn't want to be the one who has to basically re-texture every map.  He just wants to make higher quality versions of the current textures.

Now if you could convince a mapper to create a new re-textured version of a map and use any of the "questionable" textures, there would be no room for argument on the committe/jitspoes side since the textures would be what the mapper intended.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:30:32 PM by SuperMAn »

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #258 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
I think the problem with Cusomans version is that he completely changed the colours.

Cusomans version should be its own separate texture.
Exactly my thoughts.  Looks like a great texture, but since the colour has changed it needs to be separate.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
In the original Q2 textures grass1_7 is basically a more defined grass1_4, so we could use it for that.  Not what maps use grass1_7 offhand or if the current texture looks good on them.