Author Topic: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP  (Read 148063 times)

cusoman

• Autococker
Re: Official HR4 (High-Resolution, 4x) Texture Pack - WIP
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
zpar11_beta uses 1_7, but I personally think the current 1_7 you made awhile back looks really nice.  I'll upload some comparison shots between current hr4 1_7 and the modified 1_4 I uploaded earlier.

I think the modified 1_4 looks great from a distance, but up close the texture seems overly noisy, especially compared to the current 1_7.

Hope these screenshots help you decide whether or not you want to remake/modify either of the 1_4 or 1_7 grasses.

- Cusoman

EDIT: Actually I quite like the modified 1_4 in 1_7's place now that I'm running around the map a bit.  Still looks weird when standing in place though. :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:22 PM »
Made another pass at grass1_4.

Previous HR4 version:

Original (Q2 and standalone) low-res textures, for reference:

Version 2:

Used in antioch series, pball_shreds1, pbcup_pforest.

Made it a little flatter with patches of dirt to closer match the original.  Not sure if this addresses the color complaint, but I think it looks natural.

Made another version with more pronounced shadows and other minor tweaks.  If I do much more than that, it starts to look pretty unnatural.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
Yay! That's a good grass!

Different but related topic: Can we increase the number of textures that come with the game? I would love to have new textures to use on maps, that are packaged with the game.  I know cpt1 exists, but I'm really weary of using anything from cpt1 or sk89qs models because it requires the server to carry more than just the mapfile, and it requires the players to download them.  Many people have those settings turned off, so they can just run around with white diamonds where models should be, or white/checkered walls where a beautiful rock should be.  Since you're going through updating all of the current pball textures, perhaps some of the community could make some new textures that you could approve and add to the game.

We have a very small variety of metal textures, for example, which keeps me from doing indoor maps, as most of the texture combinations have already been used :(

Anyway, good work on the hr4 pack!

- Cusoman

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #263 on: August 20, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »
Yay! That's a good grass!

agreed, looks way better than the previous one.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #264 on: August 20, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
We have a very small variety of metal textures, for example, which keeps me from doing indoor maps, as most of the texture combinations have already been used :(
You can't really do much with metal textures anyway because in bsp the reflective property and distortion property were hastily combined into "warp". It would be a lot more realistic if you could make reflections without watery distortions.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #265 on: August 20, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
That would completely kill the framerate unless you did it with just 1 surface.  Something like Q3 style metal using an environment map "shiny" effect with rust and details on top of it would be feasible with r_scripts, though.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #266 on: August 24, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »
The wall texture you posted while ago looks rly nice, better than the old one definetelly.
As for the grass, it looks awesome, the only problem i have with it that it looks non-highres if you look closely (i know its for all textures, but this seems lowquality sooner then the other textures). Other than that, the texture looks fine, nice improvement.
EDIT:The dirt patches you added make it look like if it was blured on these places

Also i found another textures which you havent done high-res version of - wgrass1_1 and its used on pbcup_2fort5 which is pretty well known map.

And last thing, i rly like how wizwood1_4 looks (the wood there), but the wizwood1_2/wizwood1_3 doesnt look as nice as 1_4. I guess its because 1_4 is sharper than 1_2/1_3. Would it be possible to tweak 1_2 and 1_3 so it looks sharper like 1_4 does, if others agree?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:39:45 PM by prozajik »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #267 on: August 27, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »
I think the issue with the grass looking low res is that there's a lot of high contrast pixels (bright green grass blades against a dark background), so you can see the jagged pixels easier.  I'm not sure that there's much that can be done for that, aside from using even higher resolution textures.  I might be able to up the antialiasing, but I'm afraid that will make it look blurry.

wizwood1_4 has shadows.  Filter Forge did not support this back when I made the other wood textures.  I'll probably make another pass on them at some point.

The problem with textures like wgrass1_1 is that very few maps use them.  I'll get to them eventually, but I'm focusing on most-used textures first.

Since I can only work on 1 texture at a time, what's the texture you want to see done (or re-done) most?

I'll probably focus on sew1_6 next.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
I'd personally like to see HR4 remakes of pbsky1, 2 and 3, unit1_, and arctic1. I know that's 30 high res textures, which is a lot, but it would probably help the most. I can make a hr4 pbsky3 for you if you want.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:43:57 PM by BASEBALLDUDE »

wasp

• Stingray
« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
I feel that jitspoes latest grass1_4 texture, although an improvement on before, just seems too grey to be grass, whereas cusomans edited one is more green, more realistic and in my opinion just nicer to look at.

what's the texture you want to see done (or re-done) most?

I'll probably focus on sew1_6 next.

I think the one that DESPERATELY needs work on is the texture of the bridge on pp1, wizwood1_3 (i think?). In your hr4 pack it has begun to look very dull compared to the other textures and i would go as far to say that it makes the rest of the map look bad. Im not saying to make it like sunmans one (as its abit cartoonish), but i do prefer that specific sumans texture to yours without a doubt (On the whole i prefer yours to his i might add).

Personally i think your sewer textures arent the major issue, yours already look good, its the more commonly used textures, the metals in particular. The majority of sunmans metal textures are more pleasant to look at.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »

- Cusoman

THIS x100000000 I think there are 8 good looking metal textures? Most of them don't even look good together either.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #271 on: September 13, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »
THIS x100000000 I think there are 8 good looking metal textures? Most of them don't even look good together either.
Indeed! It is so hard to come up with a good theme to a map these days. The key here is  being 'unique', but how can you be unique when all the good combinations are taken. For example, I made a map called sabotage, the map itself is pretty dreadful, but one of the most frowned upon thing of the map is that it looks derivative of carpathian. The bunkers used the best wood combination possible (just like the bunkers on carp) - same for the grass and rock textures.

BUT, the thing is, the rock and grass I used go SO well together, same for the bunker wood textures. I made many different bunker styles in a test map of mine, the combination of wood used in carpathian looks best by far compared to the rest.

Me and omni have been talking about this on ts3 for a while now, when both of us trying to come up with new theme ideas for our maps. Please do consider adding a more variety of textures, I know it's good to focus on getting the current ones to look neat, but at the same time, what's the point of having textures in the first place if most maps look very similar to each other?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
Well, that's kind of the thing I've been pushing for.  The original textures have a pretty large variety of grass and rock textures, but a lot of the texture packs that people like copy/paste the exact same texture 5 times so everything looks the same.  There are around 10 unique grass textures and even more rock textures.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
IMO, we already have plenty of rock-grass maps for everyone. Maybe you (jits) can make more official metal and indoor textures so we can expand the variety of appearances.

If not, then I'm sticking to my previous post that there should be HR4 textures for the skies. Maybe start with pbsky2 cause that's the most commonly used.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2013, 06:11:35 AM »
Well, that's kind of the thing I've been pushing for.  The original textures have a pretty large variety of grass and rock textures, but a lot of the texture packs that people like copy/paste the exact same texture 5 times so everything looks the same.  There are around 10 unique grass textures and even more rock textures.

Of course there are separate unique textures, but a lack of textures that work WELL together. There are many combinations that look ugly, the best looking combinations are mostly taken.

Malibu

• PGP
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
jitzpoe i want to know if i can use these textures  can you pls answer if they are legal or illegal

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »
Could you first provide me with some insight as to why you prefer these over the official ones?  Have you tried the latest official HR4 pack?  Here's a link: https://dplogin.com/files/hr4_gpl.zip

I see a few issues with your textures:
- The blue metal texture is wood planks.
- The wood texture in propaint1 doesn't tile very well and has this weird squiggle to it.  I know the official one can stand to be improved, but does that one really look better?
- The rock textures are stone wall textures and look really out of place on the boulders and such in carpathian.
- The flag textures are missing the rscript (should be included in the link I posted).

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
What's up with the splat design on the pbcup_pforest one?

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #278 on: November 07, 2013, 08:10:02 AM »
Jitspoe, your textures are completely fine. My theory as to why some people prefer textures like sunman's is because his textures are much simpler. It's the same reason kids love cartoons. It's because the complexity and realisticness of jitspoe's textures are too complicated for their simple minds.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:53 AM »
What's up with the splat design on the pbcup_pforest one?
- The flag textures are missing the rscript (should be included in the link I posted).

Jitspoe, your textures are completely fine. My theory as to why some people prefer textures like sunman's is because his textures are much simpler. It's the same reason kids love cartoons. It's because the complexity and realisticness of jitspoe's textures are too complicated for their simple minds.
Most of his textures aren't simple ones, though.