Author Topic: Banterous demo downloader  (Read 14260 times)

HaRmonY

• VM-68
Re: Banterous demo downloader
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
rly nice!

f3l1x

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 12:52:29 AM »
For now i don't ever download any part of banterous website, except demo. I just get ID from link and download it... I'm not sure how it should look like. If you type link into browser, you get all info, with map preview too. I made this just to stop annoying downloading, like choosing demos directory first, next opening paintball and typing in demo name... Thats annoying, better you copy link into my downloader, click button and you are watching demo.

I mean that you just linked on the picture.
E.q.
http://bantero.us/demos/?page=demo&id=767
You know mapname. Airtime.
link: http://bantero.us/demos/images/pball/mapshots/airtime.jpg

E.q.2
pp1: http://bantero.us/demos/images/pball/mapshots/propaint1.jpg
shock: http://bantero.us/demos/images/pball/mapshots/shock.jpg

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 05:43:01 AM »
You know mapname. Airtime.
I don't know mapname! Because i never download HTML constaining any informations. And i think this idea isn't needed - if you want to know other info, you open website. And if you are bored of: Choosing download folder, opening paintball and searching demo to play, then my program helps, cause it just need link. And do rest.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 06:00:19 AM »
I don't know mapname!
Just incase you hadn't seen it, there is "mapname" field in the JSON API which gives you this data :)

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 06:09:53 AM »
Just incase you hadn't seen it, there is "mapname" field in the JSON API which gives you this data :)
That is used only if user is using search option (and i trough we are talking about pasted link). And i'm not sure, why you all want map preview picture? Isn't it easier to open banterous website? Then you have chat log, map preview, player recording name and more. And this utility is downloading demo and running it. Not showing detailed informations about demo.
But, according to this idea, i can make button which will open link pasted (if you are too lazy to copy it into browser).

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 08:29:49 AM »
And i'm not sure, why you all want map preview picture? Isn't it easier to open banterous website?
Sounds like they want a program that can do everything the website can do. :)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »
Isn't it easier to open banterous website?

Actually it's way easier to just open the website. Therefore I didn't understand you're putting so much effort into this project. However, if you want to continue the work on it, I suggest to follow the feedback from the forumz, so people will also use your software.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »
Sounds like they want a program that can do everything the website can do. :)
Yeah, but i don't really want to replace website. I want to write small utility.
Actually it's way easier to just open the website. Therefore I didn't understand you're putting so much effort into this project. However, if you want to continue the work on it, I suggest to follow the feedback from the forumz, so people will also use your software.
much effort? Only 549+62 lines of sourcecode... That's not much.
Well, i created this program, because i was annoyed how much i need to do to watch demo. If anyone want to make watching faster, he could use this downloader. I don't really want to create big program which can do everything. This is small utility -.- . I don't want to replace banterous website or anything else. So please propose something which could be usefull to download demos/make watching easier.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 11:46:52 AM »
Payl, maybe if you really wanted to streamline this you could write a firefox extension or similar which would automatically handle banterous links on webpages you browsed on? Not sure if it's possible, but might be interesting :D If you can use DLLs in firefox then you can use the existing source in order to get info on the demo before you dl/run it :D

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »
Payl, maybe if you really wanted to streamline this you could write a firefox extension or similar which would automatically handle banterous links on webpages you browsed on?
It's possible, but then what about Opera (<3), Chrome and IE (woah) users? Link catcher is easy and do almost everything. And with plugins application become more complex. And i should create plugins to at least 4 web browsers. This is too hard for me, as i never programmed any plug-in to any of these browsers. Too many problems (creation, installation, communication) to resolve just to remove one Ctrl+C :-] .

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
It's possible, but then what about Opera (<3), Chrome and IE (woah) users? Link catcher is easy and do almost everything. And with plugins application become more complex. And i should create plugins to at least 4 web browsers. This is too hard for me, as i never programmed any plug-in to any of these browsers. Too many problems (creation, installation, communication) to resolve just to remove one Ctrl+C :-] .
So do an NPAPI plugin which is supported by all except IE, so when you click download and it gets the MIME type application/dm2 then it saves/runs :D

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 06:17:23 AM »
So do an NPAPI plugin which is supported by all except IE, so when you click download and it gets the MIME type application/dm2 then it saves/runs :D
I never heard about that ( :o ). And, i made Banterous demo downloader for myself, and just trough that someone else can use it. I don't have time to write it again from scratch and/or learn NPAPI. I'm looking forward into new projects and/or continuing bigger projects, and just maybe small updates in older. I think that Banterous demo downloader is comfortable enough to view demos.
If you think that plugin in NPAPI is needed you can create it :-]

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
So please propose something which could be usefull to download demos/make watching easier.

If you think that plugin in NPAPI is needed you can create it :-]

ViciouZ was only answering your question and giving a suggestion -- he wasn't necessarily asking you to make a plugin.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
(OFFENSE END HERE)
ViciouZ was only answering your question and giving a suggestion -- he wasn't necessarily asking you to make a plugin.
Do you know what 'can' mean? I just told that i have no knowledge/time and that he CAN make this plugin (as he was talking about plugin option much).
Webhead, i don't know how you can (no you dont need to) understand this as that...  ::)
Ah, and as i detected offtopic/offense incoming, i'll ignore all further posts about that. You are welcome.
(OFFENSE BEGIN HERE)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
To anyone who has downloaded this.

Is it worth it?

f3l1x

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
To anyone who has downloaded this.
Is it worth it?

Hard to say, better way is try it. You dont have to move your downloaded demo to pb2/demos folder, that's all. Actually you can search demo by nick or mapname.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »
Hard to say, better way is try it. You dont have to move your downloaded demo to pb2/demos folder, that's all. Actually you can search demo by nick or mapname.
Oh lol. Is that really all it does? I don't watch demo's enough to make it worth it.

NO OFFENCE

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 06:33:37 AM »
@idias: Please write PM or create topic about that. Thanks (reported) (and thanks for no offense!): You really could write PM to me because of you think i do somethink bad. But don't offtopic.
Oh lol. Is that really all it does? I don't watch demo's enough to make it worth it.
I think even if you watch demos sometimes, it makes it (watching) faster, so idk if it isn't worth. But i don't force anyone to download this ^.^

(no offense :D )

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
worst thing ever, slow, waste of time to use. OH WOW IT PUTZ IT IN THE RYTE FOLDER NOWAI! Yeah, getting the link, opening this up and doing it all takes the more time then just downloading and saving to a folder. stupidest thing ever made, try to make something useful next time.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 03:27:31 PM »
Yeah, getting the link, opening this up and doing it all takes the more time then just downloading and saving to a folder.
MyeRs, do it with sth like stoper, you will see difference then. And you might notice you make 3 clicks instead of at least 10 :-] .

try to make something useful next time.
Ideas? :-]